Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:59 PM   #1
BigB82
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to BigB82
Anyone go from a 13" MBA 2012 to a 13" rMBP?

I was at best buy tonight and BOY does that screen on the retina 13 look beautiful. I didnt think its that much of a difference but I can notice the clear difference in even the dock icons right away, anyone else? I have a fully loaded 2012 MBA 13 inch and am thinking to change it for that retina macbook pro 13, anyone else thinking or already made the move? let me know your thoughts gang
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Pharmscott
macrumors 6502

I was at Best Buy today too and treated myself to a rMBP 15". I have been using a MBA for about 1 year. So far, so awesome! The native Twitter app looks crappy so I need a retina alternative. Otherwise, loving it.
Pharmscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Colombianito
macrumors member

I had a maxed out early 2011 MacBook Pro. I had a problem with it, and apple replaced it for a 256gb rmbp. I like it better. The only con is sometimes websites look blurry.
Colombianito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:03 PM   #4
jfriedman8
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmscott View Post
I was at Best Buy today too and treated myself to a rMBP 15". I have been using a MBA for about 1 year. So far, so awesome! The native Twitter app looks crappy so I need a retina alternative. Otherwise, loving it.
I just bought a rMBP 15" also. I love my 13" MBA, but I dont know if I need it anymore. I needed a high res screen and a GPU. The 13" is nice, but not worth it over a 13" MBA.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2.4 i7 256GB 8GB
2013 Macbook Air
iPad Mini: 32 GB Black - iPhone 5: 32GB Black
jfriedman8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:08 AM   #5
paepcke
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmscott View Post
The native Twitter app looks crappy so I need a retina alternative. Otherwise, loving it.
For a Retina display (MacOS and iOS). You will love Twitter! Worth every penny.

http://tapbots.com/
paepcke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:35 AM   #6
BigB82
macrumors 6502a

Why does everyone keep saying OMG you will love twitter on it? its a social site lol
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:55 PM   #7
bubbleboyjones
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB82 View Post
I was at best buy tonight and BOY does that screen on the retina 13 look beautiful. I didnt think its that much of a difference but I can notice the clear difference in even the dock icons right away, anyone else? I have a fully loaded 2012 MBA 13 inch and am thinking to change it for that retina macbook pro 13, anyone else thinking or already made the move? let me know your thoughts gang
I have a 2012 MBA 11" and thought the same thing when looking at the 13" rmbp. I probably would have gotten the rmpb instead when making my Air purchase if it was available.

So I went out, got an 27" IPS Monitor for $400 instead to shut me up.
bubbleboyjones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:44 PM   #8
BigB82
macrumors 6502a

do you guys think the air will go retina as well if so I still like the portability of it
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:05 AM   #9
Fireball Dragon
macrumors regular

I have and could not be happier with the decision!
Fireball Dragon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:34 AM   #10
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68000

Quote:
A retina MacBook Pro, at a time when (a) non-retina Macs still exist (and are cheaper and (b) the number of apps taking full advantage of HiDPI (i.e. are supporting the retina display) are still quite low compared to the number of apps that aren't, is silly. In 3-5 years, I imagine that most third party apps will have made the jump to retina, but for now, it's still very new and not widely supported. It's very much like running one of the first Intel Macs after the switch to Intel or running OS X after the switch from OS 9. Apps will take time to make the switch, and eventually as all of Apple's Mac models move away from non-retina displays, developers will optimize their apps for them. Hopefully by that time, Apple, Intel, NVIDIA, and AMD will have all worked together to optimize the OS so that the framerate issues plaguing these machines go away. Luckily, that issue is all software and not hardware.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:38 AM   #11
Satori
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
do you guys think the air will go retina as well if so I still like the portability of it
It will eventually, but the major challenge will be battery size and life. I suspect there isn't enough room in the MBA form factor to fit a battery that could run a retina display for a long enough time. When the battery tech improves, we'll see a rMBA.
Satori is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air