Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:43 PM   #1
hugodrax
macrumors 6502a

Magic Trackpad a must have.

I got one a few weeks ago and once you get used to using it as an add on to your mouse you cant think of going back to just using a mouse.

Apple definitely gets touch on the desktop right with this Magic trackpad and 10.8.2

The multitouch gestures are quite nice, now I use launchpad and all the other touch enhancements. Once you use it in your workflow you cant go back. This is where Microsoft screwed up, With OS X the touch features enhance your workflow. VS what Microsoft is doing with Metro which seems to be trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

Nice thing is using it with Aperture for photo editing and with Trading applications being able to flick(or take a quick peek)from Futures market screens to equity options to Bloomberg anywhere, two finger swipe I can see my OCC notifications etc.. And works great with Mission control features. tapping to zoom in and out quickly on websites is real nice for reading

For 70 bucks worth getting it and using it with your mouse.

Last edited by hugodrax; Nov 24, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
hugodrax is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:19 PM   #2
mwhities
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugodrax View Post
I got one a few weeks ago and once you get used to using it as an add on to your mouse you cant think of going back to just using a mouse.

Apple definitely gets touch on the desktop right with this Magic trackpad and 10.8.2

The multitouch gestures are quite nice, now I use launchpad and all the other touch enhancements. Once you use it in your workflow you cant go back. This is where Microsoft screwed up, With OS X the touch features enhance your workflow. VS what Microsoft is doing with Metro which seems to be trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

Nice thing is using it with Aperture for photo editing and with Trading applications being able to flick(or take a quick peek)from Futures market screens to equity options to Bloomberg anywhere, two finger swipe I can see my OCC notifications etc.. And works great with Mission control features. tapping to zoom in and out quickly on websites is real nice for reading

I concur, although, I only use a mouse for game play. (Diablo III)
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:27 PM   #3
hugodrax
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
I concur, although, I only use a mouse for game play. (Diablo III)
The problem I always have trying to replace a Mouse with a trackpad is the pointer. I cant seem to get the hang of it compared to the mouse for some reason.
hugodrax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:45 PM   #4
mwhities
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The problem I always have trying to replace a Mouse with a trackpad is the pointer. I cant seem to get the hang of it compared to the mouse for some reason.
It takes sometime to get used to it. I don't do graphics or anything like that... I'm a data center engineer, so, I'm 95% of the time RDPed (Cord) to servers. I really only use Chrome, Cord, Outlook, and Safari in Mac.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:43 AM   #5
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816

I love the wireless trackpad but it seems to introduce a bit more of input lag.

i.e. a delayed response between scrolling on the trackpad and scrolling the browser window. No lag using my wireless logitech mouse on the same system.
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:21 PM   #6
pup
macrumors member

I recommend installing Jitouch for even more trackpad goodness.
pup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:23 PM   #7
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by CausticPuppy View Post
I love the wireless trackpad but it seems to introduce a bit more of input lag.

i.e. a delayed response between scrolling on the trackpad and scrolling the browser window. No lag using my wireless logitech mouse on the same system.
oo err. I've never had "Lag" using my trackpad. Bizarre.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:31 PM   #8
BRyken
macrumors 6502

I debating on a Magic Trackpad, I wish the Mac mini came with one like the iMac does.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:02 PM   #9
dasx
macrumors 65816

I love mine too. Have already had it over two years (I'd say, although can't really tell) and it's amazing.

Problem I find though is that now any trackpad in any laptop (even Apple's) feel a little too small.
(Well, windows based laptops' trackpads feel way tooo small)
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:32 PM   #10
SuperRob
macrumors regular

The trackpad is awesome. Gestures totally change your Mac experience. But you will still want/need a mouse for some applications/games.
SuperRob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:34 PM   #11
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Love the Magic Trackpad. I'm buying a mini next month and I'll order a MT with it.

Also my current Apple BT keyboard will be mated with the MT with THIS.

#winning
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:35 PM   #12
useme2305
macrumors member

what is it?
useme2305 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:43 PM   #13
That-Guy
macrumors 6502

Do they do that tray for the bigger apple keyboard with the number pad?
That-Guy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:48 PM   #14
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by useme2305 View Post
what is it?
Henge Clique

http://hengedocks.com/order_clique.php

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
Do they do that tray for the bigger apple keyboard with the number pad?
Unfortunately not. Just the BT Apple keyboard and Magic Trackpad
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:50 PM   #15
That-Guy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Unfortunately not. Just the BT Apple keyboard and Magic Trackpad
Thats a shame
That-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:24 AM   #16
Sir Ruben
macrumors 65816

Have a magic trackpad coming in the next week. REALLY like the look of it. I am going to use it on the left side of my keyboard in conjunction with my mouse on the right side.

Im also getting a Apple Wireless keyboard on Friday but its not to replace the backlit Logitech I currently have connected to the Mini. Oh no! My Mac Mini is in my bedroom right above my living room. The Apple Wireless keyboard will be for use with my livingroom TV when I am airplaying the mac down to it via the Apple TV

After years of being a PC owner I have now fully converted over to the Mac as my main machine. Cant see me ever looking back.

EDIT: My Logitech backlit keyboard is connected to the mac via USB, will it be possible to have the Apple Wireless Keyboard paired with the Mac AT THE SAME TIME without any issues?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:51 AM   #17
mwhities
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruben View Post
EDIT: My Logitech backlit keyboard is connected to the mac via USB, will it be possible to have the Apple Wireless Keyboard paired with the Mac AT THE SAME TIME without any issues?
I would think so, I use my Macbook's KB and my wireless KB at the same time on my Macbook.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:52 AM   #18
Sir Ruben
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
I would think so, I use my Macbook's KB and my wireless KB at the same time on my Macbook.
That makes me a happy Ruben
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:09 AM   #19
mwhities
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruben View Post
That makes me a happy Ruben
Good. I had my Macbook on a stand and used my trackpad (on the Macbook), a Magic Mouse (to change desktops), and my USB Logitech mouse to play D3.

So I can only assume that on a desktop, the KBs will act right and work together.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:25 PM   #20
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
oo err. I've never had "Lag" using my trackpad. Bizarre.
I think it's Chrome. Safari actually responds much quicker to scrolling.

I think Chrome just sucks on OSX. Safari is also noticeably better on my retina MBP.
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:34 PM   #21
Talon Six
macrumors member

Another vote for the Magic Trackpad as the 'must have' Mac accessory. I've been using one for as long as I've had my mini and can't see using anything else. The various gestures are second nature to me now with over a year of use.
Talon Six is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:58 PM   #22
mjoshi123
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I'm using trackball mouse for my editing purpose in LR4 so I'd like to know how well magic trackpad works with photo editing, specifically when you need to use different brush and do dodge & burn or something which requires extra bit of control. I've tried wacom but for some reason could never get hold of it.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:04 PM   #23
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

For most things, he Magic Trackpad is amazing, but there a a few situations where you will want more control, in which case, any mouse or trackball will do. Logitech and Microsoft have some good, but cheap options.