Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:01 PM   #1
Prof.
macrumors 601
 
Prof.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago
Inaccurate battery indicator on 2012 MacBook Air...?

My little brother has a 2012 13" MBA. Recently I've noticed that the battery meter in the upper right hand corner is inaccurate. It takes forever to go from 100% to 99%, and when it finally changes to 99%, it's still not an accurate read. For example, right now the meter says 99%, but iStat says 94% - iStat seems to be more accurate than the actual meter!

Any idea why this is happening?
__________________
I have not seen proven proof that [climate change] is entirely man-made. - Joni Ernst, (R) Iowa
And the Republican party isn't the party of stupid? Okay.
Prof. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:36 AM   #2
mac82
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I'm having the same problem with 2012 MacBook Air 11". Long delay between 100% and 99%. Both Battery Health Monitor and Coconut Battery report battery level as being approximately 5% lower than reported in upper right menu bar. Battery also at 97% fresh out of box. Anyone know if this indicates battery problem?
mac82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:39 AM   #3
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ventura
Same issue here. I've pretty much have gotten over it though, it just took a little time. Its weird though as the battery drains, it becomes more and more accurate. At 100% there is a 5% spread, but at 20% there is a 0% spread.

I've learned to just live with it. When the MagSafe turns Green I know that there is about 30 minutes left remaining on the charge because its really only at 95%. iStat Pro works well to tell you how long is remaining in the charge even though the status bar says 100%.

I don't ever recall this happening with my 2011 Air and on Lion, must be a 2012 Air or ML issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac82 View Post
I'm having the same problem with 2012 MacBook Air 11". Long delay between 100% and 99%. Both Battery Health Monitor and Coconut Battery report battery level as being approximately 5% lower than reported in upper right menu bar. Battery also at 97% fresh out of box. Anyone know if this indicates battery problem?
No battery problem, seems to just be software. I took my 11" in the day after I got it because I noticed it immediately. They checked the battery, it was 100% perfect.
Mlrollin91 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:47 AM   #4
HarryWarden
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlrollin91 View Post
Same issue here. I've pretty much have gotten over it though, it just took a little time. Its weird though as the battery drains, it becomes more and more accurate. At 100% there is a 5% spread, but at 20% there is a 0% spread.

I've learned to just live with it. When the MagSafe turns Green I know that there is about 30 minutes left remaining on the charge because its really only at 95%. iStat Pro works well to tell you how long is remaining in the charge even though the status bar says 100%.

I don't ever recall this happening with my 2011 Air and on Lion, must be a 2012 Air or ML issue.



No battery problem, seems to just be software. I took my 11" in the day after I got it because I noticed it immediately. They checked the battery, it was 100% perfect.
Glad to hear you took it in. Never understand why people notice problems pretty much right away yet don't take their expensive computers in while they're under warranty. Should solve problems/answer any questions you have by doing that.
HarryWarden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:52 AM   #5
725032
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
Glad to hear you took it in. Never understand why people notice problems pretty much right away yet don't take their expensive computers in while they're under warranty. Should solve problems/answer any questions you have by doing that.
Whats even worse is when people get flamed for taking it back. Everyone is entitled to a perfect product
725032 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Johnny Alien
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlrollin91 View Post
Same issue here. I've pretty much have gotten over it though, it just took a little time. Its weird though as the battery drains, it becomes more and more accurate. At 100% there is a 5% spread, but at 20% there is a 0% spread.
This is exactly what I have seen. I wouldn't have taken it in as it seems apparent that it's a software thing. And the battery indicator only needs to be close enough for me as I never use it much below 25%.
Johnny Alien is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MacBook Air 2012 battery problem pjsmith67 MacBook Air 8 Jul 19, 2013 05:04 PM
2012 - Battery Charge Indicator KPOM MacBook Air 6 Feb 8, 2013 11:24 PM
Battery Drop on MacBook Air 2012 harisn MacBook Air 5 Nov 18, 2012 02:07 PM
Wifi signal indicator inaccurate SR71 iPhone 3 Oct 8, 2012 10:35 AM
Percentage Battery indicator inaccurate ? chacolo MacBook Air 1 Jul 27, 2012 07:15 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC