Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:52 AM   #101
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydoo99 View Post
One doesn't have to invent the aluminum, glass, and screws used to hold a product together in order to produce an original, innovative product. The tools were around forever. It took Apple to show everyone HOW to make a world-changing phone. Then competitors stole it. Now Apple is told to "shut up and innovate or die", so that their work can be stolen again.
People also have short memories. Apple for years besides being in a dispute with Apple records, was also hamstrung by an agreement with McIntosh, the high end audio equipment manufacturer. For almost 2 decades Apple had crippled audio features to avoid breaching that agreement. Apple eventually renegotiated that agreement and released sound editing tools, audio enabled computers with better specs, and of course the iPod.

That deference to McIntosh really crippled the development arc of Apple Computer to a significant degree even though they were really in different markets for all purposes other than Trademarks. McIntosh said they were concerned about the "audio reproduction business". Apple chose to not just change the name, just like with the squabbles over the iPad name internationally. Maybe they should release a "no name product".

Rocketman

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Pages/Home.aspx

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Brand...spx?MasterId=4

http://www.roger-russell.com/mcintosh2.htm

Last edited by Rocketman; Nov 25, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
Rocketman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:52 AM   #102
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Apple is going to eventually lose. An Asian company trying to save face is going to be relentless. And despite all the money Apple has, Samsung is basically supported by the Korean government.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:08 PM   #103
Piggie
macrumors 603

I would say Samsung (and the rest of the world as they pick up speed) and simply going to be too fast at developments (and actually MAKING THINGS) For Apple to keep up on their own.

Apple has always wanted the same thing, way back in the early Mac theys, they want to control and decide the pace of things, and it's what pretty much broke them.

Sure, there is a bit of throwing stuff at the fan with developments and seeing what sticks, but that's how we got where we are today.

You move fast if you continually try things on the market, and eventually, after years (as with all inventions) what is right gradually becomes obvious.

The world is not going to wait for Apple and if they continue to just do things at their pace, only they will be the ones to suffer in the very long term.

You bring out a new product, but then you try and keep the market all to yourself. Sorry, in these days, it's just not a realistic scenario.
For a while yes you can do that, but it won't last.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:10 PM   #104
dmarcoot
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchoffa View Post
I wish they could just come to an agreement and start focusing on making products

Do you really believe that the people who actually design the products are bothered by this as you? I would suspect given that there designs were copied, they would rather see an end to that. I know I would.
dmarcoot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:26 PM   #105
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
But think about it for a second. Apple invented the core technologies behind these devices, it doesn't matter if it's "old news" or a "tired story"... It's Apple fighting for innovation.
hahaha that's a funny joke
uknowimright is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:53 PM   #106
apolloa
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback666 View Post
They NEVER copy anything, unless you the one that supports a company like apple claims/rides with a patent on ****ing rectangules and grid of icons (dont you dare saying they invented that or first implemented) plus claims of the damm green phone icon wich have always been a standart on cellphones yet they claim they made that.....

After that everything else comes from apple, so yes yes yes they one that started all were apple and they continue to do so even though it takes 2 to dance.
In regards to the Samsung Galaxy 1, they DID copy Apple and Google DID warn Samsung not to do so, sorry if you can't accept those FACTS. Also you need to read a post before replying considering I stated INTERFACE and not physical design.

Last edited by apolloa; Nov 25, 2012 at 12:59 PM.
apolloa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:33 PM   #107
2IS
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibelf View Post
Would this apply to Samsung as well? After all, just the other day they started suing Apple for products with speakers and headphone jacks. Seriously. And what innovative products have YOU come up with? Ever?

----------

THEN BUY SOMETHING ELSE. There, problem solved.
Me? Nothing, that isn't my job nor my claim to fame as it is with apple. Do retarded commemts come naturally to you or was there some effort put into it? If you buy a car and it ends up being a lemon, do you not have the right to complain about it because you've never built a car yourself? Didnt think so.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanimaster View Post
It's called MARKETING. Or didn't you figure that out from the release of the iPad Mini? Or how the iPhone never got as big enough storage as the iPod Touch did in the beginning?

There's no way Apple CANNOT put retina in the iPad mini. They're obviously holding back just the way they did years ago with the iPhone storage (vs the iPod Touch's), camera and 'exclusive' iOS features etc. They are good at playing consumers. They know the competition is just throwing around their money, putting 'the latest stuff' in everything. Apple on the other hand knows what exactly to hold back.

Apple knows how to play its cards. They never play catch-up. Everyone else does.
You could have saved yourself several hundred keystrokes by simply saying "nothing" instead of coming up with excuses for the word like you did here. But im glad we agree, just that you don't want to actually say it.
2IS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:35 PM   #108
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameproof View Post
Being right and winning ain't the same thing when it come to litigations.
True but why does anyone care unless you work for either company or are a shareholder.

Both are companies and that's what companies do.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:41 PM   #109
Piggie
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
True but why does anyone care unless you work for either company or are a shareholder.

Both are companies and that's what companies do.
Because companies like this (Apple) will do things to damage the choice YOU, I, and EVERYONE here has, in their attempt to maximize their profits at the expense of anything else.

The last thing anyone should ever want is Apple in control of anything.

Consumers and the world need a free and open market always
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:46 PM   #110
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
Apple is going to eventually lose. An Asian company trying to save face is going to be relentless. And despite all the money Apple has, Samsung is basically supported by the Korean government.
And how does it make Samsung a winning hand outside of Korea???? And you believe Apple is not going to be renlentless?? It is a global legal war. Deep pocket is one criteria but how the company position themselves are going to be important as well when government body is involve. When Samsung (and Motorola) start to use the stand and essential patent as a weapon, it is going to sound the alarm bell of government and companies around the world. All the standard bodies are made up of companies representatives. Are they going to be stupid enough to vote Samsung (or Motorola) technology to be in the standard knowing that the company will turn around and use it to squeeze everyone else to give Samsung the non-essential patent right on the cheap? EU already has a proceeding investigating Samsung for the practice. Samsung has the Korea government in it's pocket but they are not strong enough to own EU or US government yet...

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-12-89_en.htm

Brussels, 31 January 2012 - The European Commission has opened a formal investigation to assess whether Samsung Electronics has abusively, and in contravention of a commitment it gave to the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI), used certain of its standard essential patent rights to distort competition in European mobile device markets, in breach of EU antitrust rules. The opening of proceedings means that the Commission will examine the case as a matter of priority. It does not prejudge the outcome of the investigation.
xofruitcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:49 PM   #111
Switchback666
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
In regards to the Samsung Galaxy 1, they DID copy Apple and Google DID warn Samsung not to do so, sorry if you can't accept those FACTS. Also you need to read a post before replying considering I stated INTERFACE and not physical design.
They didnt copy ANYTHING because if they did then apple is guilty of copy grids of icons among other things.....
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:51 PM   #112
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
Because companies like this (Apple) will do things to damage the choice YOU, I, and EVERYONE here has, in their attempt to maximize their profits at the expense of anything else.

The last thing anyone should ever want is Apple in control of anything.

Consumers and the world need a free and open market always
Right !!!! I can go to your home and clean up your stuff but you cannot call the police because it will damage my client's choice when I start selling your stuff in ebay on the cheap.. Does this logic make sense??? All these patent lawsuit boil down to a determination of who invent the technology and how much should they get pay when somebody else use that technology. It is one thing to say that Apple did not invent a technology that is worthy of protection under the law, it is quite another thing to say that Apple has no right to protect themselves and seek relief through the court systems. Do you want to live in a country that no one has any property right? Everyone can just copy anything without fear and hence on one has any incentive to invent anything.
xofruitcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:07 PM   #113
CFreymarc
macrumors 68020

This is as pathetic as the Intel vs. AMD lawsuits of the 80's and 90's.
CFreymarc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:20 PM   #114
Piggie
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by xofruitcake View Post
Right !!!! I can go to your home and clean up your stuff but you cannot call the police because it will damage my client's choice when I start selling your stuff in ebay on the cheap.. Does this logic make sense??? All these patent lawsuit boil down to a determination of who invent the technology and how much should they get pay when somebody else use that technology. It is one thing to say that Apple did not invent a technology that is worthy of protection under the law, it is quite another thing to say that Apple has no right to protect themselves and seek relief through the court systems. Do you want to live in a country that no one has any property right? Everyone can just copy anything without fear and hence on one has any incentive to invent anything.
Copy is not the same as Move

Even the most basic computer user knows the difference between those two things.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:25 PM   #115
salacious
macrumors 6502a

heres the ******* i give waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy over..........................
salacious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:31 PM   #116
dannyhex
macrumors regular

im sorry but im so sick of reading about this ****. its gonna come down to either A apple stole from samsung or B samsung stole form apple.
dannyhex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:32 PM   #117
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
Yes, gimped.
Has Apple ever made a product that wasn't gimped in some sort of way?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:37 PM   #118
JoEw
macrumors 6502a

Macrumors should make a tab called lawsuits I have a feeling there will be many
JoEw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:41 PM   #119
steve119
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xofruitcake View Post
I'm laughing at the fact that everyone else is making daft claims over who is right or wrong and yet the guy/girl above here is putting evidence on the table for all to see, and yet everyone are blind to this.

If you are going to make blind or stupid claims over who stole what, then read this dudes transcripts a few pages back and then try to make an educated argument please.
steve119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:48 PM   #120
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post
Do you really believe that the people who actually design the products are bothered by this as you? I would suspect given that there designs were copied, they would rather see an end to that. I know I would.
Actually, I do think they are bothered by it. And it's only going to get worse for them - all companies, not just Apple. Apple and other companies have a finite amount of money and now we are seeing patent spending outpace R&D spending. If I was an Apple employee engaged in R&D, I think I would feel irked by this development. Everyone wants cashed poured into their department, not others.

http://www.geekosystem.com/apple-google-patents/
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:51 PM   #121
SteveSparks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahrghrr View Post
Stop Apple, just stop... give me a better UI experience! Focus on innovation, not litigation.
Apple tired to settle with Samsung. Samsung rejected all offers and refused to go into binding arbitration. Apple has changed it attitude and Samsung has turned into the problem child not Apple.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:55 PM   #122
2IS
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSparks View Post
Apple tired to settle with Samsung. Samsung rejected all offers and refused to go into binding arbitration. Apple has changed it attitude and Samsung has turned into the problem child not Apple.
Lol Apple tried to settle just means Apple wanted money from Samsung without having to go through the hassles of court.
2IS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:58 PM   #123
Kwill
macrumors 68000

Too much too late

Apple need to jump on this four years ago. Early in the game, Samsung and nearly every other smartphone manufacturer copied the iPhone. In time, Apple and Samsung have grown marketshare and implemented distinctive patentable features. At this point in time, there is both significant overlap in all smartphones and tablets. Features added by anyone could be said to infringe on another. Therefore cross licensing is more prudent than the lawsuits.

@ClinicalPosters
Kwill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:05 PM   #124
faroZ06
Banned

How about giving specifics instead of more boring/vague patent articles? I don't even know exactly what Apple is suing for.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5aga View Post
This patent bs is out of hand. I used to sympathize with apple but its at the point where no one can "innovate" without being sued, including apple.

Wonder why iOS 6 was so blah and lacked major features?

At this point the answer is obvious.
The same could be said about iOS 5, 4, and 3. The biggest one was iOS 4, and that basically just legitimatized features from Cydia packages that create folders and custom backgrounds.
faroZ06 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:49 PM   #125
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboy34 View Post
Great, at least 2 more years of lawsuit stories on MacRumors.
No one is forcing you to read them, so don't

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Good god this is getting ridiculous. Both companies need to grow the %#^! up and end this nonsense now.

Oh and MR needs some kind of "back page" where these legal stories can be posted. They're so silly now they're not even worth commenting on.
And yet, fully knowing it is a legal story, you take the time the click the link and come comment. Instead of growing the %#^! Up and ignoring things you don't care about.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic386 View Post
Macrumors post these stories because there are still enough people who care and want to argue the same old whose wrong whose right lines.
Its not even that complex. They are posting everything for one simple reason. Page hits. hits means money so as long as it gets hits, they will post it

Same with very blog

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
This is no different than any other technology industry. Look at televisions. They are all derivative of each other, but you don't see a web of lawsuits occurring in the TV industry.
Can't really say that. The suits could be happening but since those companies don't generate the page hits that Apple does they aren't being written about ad nauseum.
charlituna is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion