Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Downloadmonster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
For the past month, my macbook pro has been having problems when charging. I have to wiggle the magsafe plug to get it to charge. I tried 3 other adapters, same story. I took a look at the port on the laptop itself, and the plastic that covers the 5 contacts on the laptop port has been partially melted. The outer 2 pins are exposed! Has anyone else had this problem before? Is the actual magsafe port even replaceable?

Downloadmonster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
That's the problem, I bought the laptop when I was in Ireland. I'm currently in India, where the nearest apple shop is more than 800km away. Has this ever happened before? A quick google search reveals that, while the chargers themselves often go wrong, I haven't found anything close to what's going on with mine.

Edit: The laptop was bought in 2010, so I'm pretty sure I'm out of warranty.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Has anyone else had this problem before? Is the actual magsafe port even replaceable?

My parents Macbook had a similar problem. They actually damaged 2 MagSafe adapters before they asked me to look at the computer. The port was filthy and melted pretty badly. Fortunately the part was only $30 and the fix only took half an hour. I believe this job is more difficult on the MBP because you can't access the top of the logic board without removing it.

Downloadmonster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
I cleaned out the port with some cotton buds, it had ash in it when I took a look at it. Ash! I'm emailing the nearest apple shop to see what they can do, seeing as they sold me the charger. Will post updates here.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I cleaned out the port with some cotton buds, it had ash in it when I took a look at it. Ash! I'm emailing the nearest apple shop to see what they can do, seeing as they sold me the charger. Will post updates here.

The charger didn't cause the damage, the debris in the socket did.

Downloadmonster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
I've always kept the port clean, before and after. Even when this started, the port was clean. I clean it with distilled water and cotton. Would that cause it??

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Resistance makes Heat..

The MOST likely cause of the Melted Plastic around the Port/ Connector is Resistance.. Just like your Toaster, Resistance builds heat.. if the connection was not Good (both the cable and the computer) then Heat would be generated in some amount.. The worse the connection, the more the Heat created, and Damage caused..

There is NO reason that cleaning with Rubbing Alcohol or Distilled Water should harm it, of course it should be dried completely (would only take minutes, and/or some warm air flow to help) before re-connecting the Charger to it.. I quite often will hold the connector of mine to the back of my hand, or my face, to see if it is getting warm.. it really should ONLY be Warm, not Hot!! :eek:

A bad connection is really limiting many things, and by definition the resistance will breed MORE resistance as it has to work harder IF there is heat generated and the computer is under heavy load/ the battery is depleted.. (no different than driving your car with the brakes applied; the more you Brake the more GAS you need to supply to keep the Speed up.. very counter productive, and damaging!!) :mad:

Also, I suspect that if the Power Supply IN voltage is not up to the proper amount, that the draw will likely be heavier as well.. ** I cannot say this is absolute, but on many electronic instruments this is the case!!

First thing is to make sure the Cable End and the Computer Socket are clean.. then see your Apple Dealer.. maybe there is an explanation/ known issue if you are lucky.. Apple WILL NOT want you to have a 'fire breathing MBP' no matter what, if that is the case.. Good Luck!! :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.