Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:15 PM   #1
skaertus
macrumors 68020

iPad as second display

I have a 3rd generation iPad and I am trying to use it as a second display to my laptops. My idea is to expand the work area and to benefit from the retina resolution of the iPad to have several programs opened at once.

However, I tried Air Display (which is said to be faster than iDisplay or other alternatives), but it is painfully slow on both laptops.

I have a 13-inch white MacBook (Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, Intel GMA X3100 video card) and a 15-inch Sager (Core i7-2720QM, NVIDIA GT 540M / Intel HD 3000). My wi-fi router is a TP-Link 450Mbps Dual-Band Wireless N Gigabit Router TL-WR2543ND.

How is your experience with these apps? Am I doing something wrong? Are the video cards in my laptops unable to handle the retina resolution of the iPad (even the NVIDIA GT 540M)? Or are these programs slow anyway, and I just won't be able to use them no matter what?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Night Spring
macrumors G3

I tried AirDisplay when it first came out, and I remember that playing video on the iPad screen was choppy. I don't remember other applications, like keeping a browser window open on the iPad screen, for example, being particularly slow. This was an iPad 2, though. I never did use AirDisplay much, because I found managing two displays not very efficient. Every time I switched on AirDisplay, I would have to drag the windows over to my iPad screen and arrange them all over again.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:57 PM   #3
skaertus
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
I tried AirDisplay when it first came out, and I remember that playing video on the iPad screen was choppy. I don't remember other applications, like keeping a browser window open on the iPad screen, for example, being particularly slow. This was an iPad 2, though. I never did use AirDisplay much, because I found managing two displays not very efficient. Every time I switched on AirDisplay, I would have to drag the windows over to my iPad screen and arrange them all over again.
Well, Air Display is being very slow for any task. Even to drag windows around...

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad