Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:42 PM   #1
hajime
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
What can I do if workplace does not allow printing from Mac?

Hello, at work, only PCs are allowed to connect to the network printers. Macs are not supported. There is such a PC next to my Mac. Is there a good way to allow my MacBook Pro to use the network printers so that I can print directly from applications and files under Mac OS (and perhaps also the Windows partition)? Thanks.
hajime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:36 AM   #2
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warrington, UK
Probably the best way is save as a PDF to a USB stick, and then print it from the PC. That's what I have to do a work for the same thing.
__________________
PPC Mini, 10.4.11, Intel Mini, 10.6.8, White MacBook 10.8.5
iPhone 3GS, using o2 PAYG
Dave Braine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:27 AM   #3
Weaselboy
macrumors G4
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime View Post
Hello, at work, only PCs are allowed to connect to the network printers. Macs are not supported. There is such a PC next to my Mac. Is there a good way to allow my MacBook Pro to use the network printers so that I can print directly from applications and files under Mac OS (and perhaps also the Windows partition)? Thanks.
When you say "not supported"... are they somehow actively blocking you from printing? If you are on the network, you should be able to see the printer and print to it with no action on their part.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:52 AM   #4
talmy
macrumors 68040
 
talmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
When you say "not supported"... are they somehow actively blocking you from printing? If you are on the network, you should be able to see the printer and print to it with no action on their part.
Most places I've worked, the printers have IP addresses that are easily determined and are readily accessible by rogue systems (such as my Macs, but also by Linux boxes that "aren't supported" by the IT departments). But I have seen cases where the printers are hidden on their own networks and only accessible though a server which can only be accessed by computers that can join the Microsoft Domain, and that access is restricted to computers controlled by IT. The school I teach at part time does this to limit printer access to keep costs in line. In that case I've used the PDF "trick" mentioned earlier in this thread. The real killer, and one I haven't personally come across, is with companies so paranoid that they disable all USB ports and have no optical drives for security reasons.
__________________
27" i7 iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, Mac mini with Mavericks Server, 5 other Macs and an Apple TV.
talmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:53 PM   #5
gerryf
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by talmy View Post
Most places I've worked, the printers have IP addresses that are easily determined and are readily accessible by rogue systems (such as my Macs, but also by Linux boxes that "aren't supported" by the IT departments). But I have seen cases where the printers are hidden on their own networks and only accessible though a server which can only be accessed by computers that can join the Microsoft Domain, and that access is restricted to computers controlled by IT. The school I teach at part time does this to limit printer access to keep costs in line. In that case I've used the PDF "trick" mentioned earlier in this thread. The real killer, and one I haven't personally come across, is with companies so paranoid that they disable all USB ports and have no optical drives for security reasons.
You can always attach the pdf to an email and send it to yourself.

I am curious as to what the OPs permissions are on the PC...Can he share printers ?
gerryf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:00 PM   #6
pdjudd
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Plymouth, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by talmy View Post
The real killer, and one I haven't personally come across, is with companies so paranoid that they disable all USB ports and have no optical drives for security reasons.
Our company does that - not out of paranoia necessarily but we are a bank and we take customer information very seriously.

We also monitor email communication as well.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:04 PM   #7
hajime
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
On the PC, it is connected to the network (they said domain). So, I can see the printers and print directly from applications. On my Mac, as they do not support Mac, I can use the internet. However, it is not connected to the domain. As a result, I cannot see the network printers. If you can provide a way to do it, that would be appreciated. I was wondering if it is possible to link my Mac to the domain connected PC and use that PC as somekind of print server.
hajime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:07 PM   #8
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816
 
mentaluproar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
See if you can get the printer to print a diagnostic page, then have your Mac probe that ip. OSX will fetch the drivers all on its own....unless its a xerox copier/all in one. Those are a bitch.
__________________
Powered by OSX 10.9 Ocelot
Will someone please make a safari extension that gives us back the downvote button?
mentaluproar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:24 AM   #9
talmy
macrumors 68040
 
talmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime View Post
On the PC, it is connected to the network (they said domain). So, I can see the printers and print directly from applications. On my Mac, as they do not support Mac, I can use the internet. However, it is not connected to the domain. As a result, I cannot see the network printers. If you can provide a way to do it, that would be appreciated. I was wondering if it is possible to link my Mac to the domain connected PC and use that PC as somekind of print server.
This looks like the school situation I've got and mentioned previously. You have to be connected to the domain because the printing is done by a Windows server system. IT won't let you connect anything but authorized equipment to the Domain. You *might* be able to connect to the printer if you can find its IP address, however at school the printers are on a separate LAN that cannot be reached by either the computer LAN or Wifi.
__________________
27" i7 iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, Mac mini with Mavericks Server, 5 other Macs and an Apple TV.
talmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:35 AM   #10
notjustjay
macrumors 603
 
notjustjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjudd View Post
Our company does that - not out of paranoia necessarily but we are a bank and we take customer information very seriously.

We also monitor email communication as well.
Mine too, for similar security reasons. Only USB sticks of a particular brand and model, with encryption enabled, and they have to be individually approved -- I guess individual sticks have a serial number or device ID that security can track. I forgot to renew my approval for mine so it now doesn't work on my desktop PC, so I only use it for lab work (different network).

As for the OP's printing situation, when I was doing grad school I was in a similar spot, the lab techs didn't support or want anything to do with Macs. But I figured out the IP address of the printer (go through its menu settings) and was able to print to it pretty easily from OS X.
__________________
.
notjustjay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:32 PM   #11
pdjudd
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Plymouth, MN
We can read USB keys, but we cannot in any way shape or form, save to them. We are also heavily restricted on what drivers we can install etc. I can't even disclose what's coming down the pipe. They are really tightening the fist though.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC