Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:01 PM   #251
itjw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
Your post seems to imply that some users are experiencing the issue because their particular units have defective aluminum.

I'd argue that it's either a design issue or not. I can't realistically see how the structural integrity of the phone can be weaker from one unit to another.

This thread also doesn't account for:

1) The fact that this is the type of problem that can develop slowly over time. I.e the bending develops over some months , and so far we are only 2 months in from release.

2) many people have simply not noticed that their phones are slowly developing a bend, as its not the sort of thing that crosses people's mind.

3) there are probably far more people that had the issue then you think, but did not come to macrumors to post about it.

4) some people are rougher on their phone than others simply as a result of different lifestyles. Note that I am not talking about extreme situations like sitting on your phone etc, but people that ride motorcycles, wear tight jeans and keep the phone in a front pocket, those that regularly run up stairs with the phone in their front pocket etc. these people may only be the minority, but still a very significant number of people nevertheless.

My prediction is that given that this is the type of issue that is likely to develop over time and not 1 day of use, we are going to see much higher rate of people complaining as we get further and further from the launch date.
No, my response implied that the OP sat on or otherwise broke his phone and since he cannot convince apple of the rare issue (since almost no one else is experiencing it) he took to the forums to lie it out.

Its not widespread. Therefore the most logical explanation is he broke it through negligence and wants to shift the blame.

Next we'll have "crash gate" when people wreck their cars... "It's a design flaw officer! It shouldn't damage when I run it into a tree! GM made it with faulty steel I tells ya!"
itjw is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:10 PM   #252
alphaod
macrumors Core

I'd be happy with a bent phone than one that's broken in half. Also it would probably allow making calls easier.

I used to own a few older 17" MacBook Pro and the issue was it would bend. The computer was too thin, so after resting you hands on it over weeks and weeks, the middle would sag down. Apple replaced two of my MacBook Pros with this issue, so I imagine they would replace the iPhones with this issue.

Last edited by alphaod; Dec 1, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
alphaod is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:42 PM   #253
Zaft
macrumors 6502a

This just proves you can't make everyone happy. People are unbelievable. First they complain about the glass cracking on the iPhone 4, now the new one is less prone to it due to the aluminum and now people say it bends. Get a life some of you...
Zaft is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:52 PM   #254
Serelus
macrumors Demi-God

Don't sit on it.
Serelus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:21 PM   #255
PNutts
macrumors 601

For the folks that think there isn't much force on a phone in your pocket, replace it with a handful of Legos.
PNutts is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:11 PM   #256
jon3543
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineeringProf View Post
I am an engineering professor, and I've really enjoyed this thread because it confirms what I have observed for the past few years: there are many opinionated and ignorant people on the web who confuse being vocal with being right. The laws of physics are real and well-understood and not subject to the whims of opinion.

Fortunately there are a few here with engineering knowledge who are trying to set you straight. But on message boards, ignorant opinions seem to prevail. To put it in language you will understand, this thread is up to your ears in stupid.

An understanding of the basic physics of stress and strain, elastic and plastic deformation, and metal oxide coatings is beyond most of you. The esteemed hypothesizers don't know the difference between weight, force, and stress. My advice is to retake freshman physics (if you made it that far).

On the internet, stupid always wins. Enjoy your so-called proofs and hypotheses - ignorance is bliss.
Now that is an interesting post! It's long, yet it avoids commenting on the subject of the thread except to support a vaguely defined group of people and bash another vaguely defined group of people. It starts with an unverifiable argument from authority, yet it's impossible to determine what you think about the issue. I believe your "professorship" is actually in trolling, because that's all the evidence of your writing supports.
jon3543 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:38 PM   #257
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
All things flex whether you see it with your eyes or not. The problem with using thin aluminum is that it had a short fatigue life.
No that is not the reason. Stop spreading this misinformation across multiple threads
dukebound85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 06:38 PM   #258
tensiondeadache
macrumors regular

Ok, my phone is bent. Three other people agree with me that the upper left side of the phone is slightly bent back at the volume button. This is completely unacceptable, and "well, did you put it in your jeans pocket" is a thoroughly lame attempt to deny a serious design flaw.
tensiondeadache is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:07 PM   #259
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensiondeadache View Post
Ok, my phone is bent. Three other people agree with me that the upper left side of the phone is slightly bent back at the volume button. This is completely unacceptable, and "well, did you put it in your jeans pocket" is a thoroughly lame attempt to deny a serious design flaw.
Well, how did you bend it then?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:11 PM   #260
tensiondeadache
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Well, how did you bend it then?
I don't know...I bought a clear InCase case and noticed the bend after using that case a few weeks. I"m not really interested in how it bent, it's a $750 phone....it should not bend, period.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:13 PM   #261
braddick
macrumors 68030

iPhone bent?

Bend it back.

Problem solved.

Next issue?
braddick is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:14 PM   #262
tensiondeadache
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddick View Post
iPhone bent?

Bend it back.

Problem solved.

Next issue?
What if it breaks? Then it will be my fault
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:15 PM   #263
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
iPhone bent?

Bend it back.

Problem solved.

Next issue?
Actually I am interested for someone with a bent phone to do this just to see how much force it takes.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:15 PM   #264
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

Quote:
iPhone bent?

Bend it back.

Problem solved.

Next issue?
I threw a rock at my windshield and it cracked. Is the glass defective?
duneriderltr450 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:21 PM   #265
tensiondeadache
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneriderltr450 View Post
No, why are you asking this stupid question and what does it have to do with this thread?
tensiondeadache is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:21 PM   #266
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneriderltr450 View Post
A more proper analogy is sitting in the car and the car bending. Still your fault?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:25 PM   #267
tensiondeadache
macrumors regular

Quote:
A more proper analogy is sitting in the car and the car bending. Still your fault?
Thank you.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:28 PM   #268
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Thank you.
I don't think you got the sarcasm directed at your inept analogy.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:32 PM   #269
tensiondeadache
macrumors regular

Quote:
I don't think you got the sarcasm directed at your inept analogy.
Are you sure you know what "analogy" means....I didn't make one.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:32 PM   #270
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I don't know...I bought a clear InCase case and noticed the bend after using that case a few weeks. I"m not really interested in how it bent, it's a $750 phone....it should not bend, period.
Just like a $750 phone should not shatter like the 4/4s? **** happens when you apply outside forces to them. A lot of people have had this issue that used a case. Is yours extremely tight fitting?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:35 PM   #271
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Are you sure you know what "analogy" means....I didn't make one.
Ooops. Collateral damage. That was directed at the other guy.

----------

Quote:
Just like a $750 phone should not shatter like the 4/4s? **** happens when you apply outside forces to them. A lot of people have had this issue that used a case. Is yours extremely tight fitting?
Are you saying the aluminum in the iPhone is so soft that it just bends from a simple case?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:36 PM   #272
tensiondeadache
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yes, very tight fitting. I got it at THE APPLE STORE in San Diego, so I just assumed it wouldn't bend the phone.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:48 PM   #273
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yes, very tight fitting. I got it at THE APPLE STORE in San Diego, so I just assumed it wouldn't bend the phone.
I honestly can't say as I haven't used a case like that in a while. It just happened to be a common theme among those with bent phones. I hope apple takes yours back or maybe you can prove if it was the case somehow that caused, maybe take it up with the case manufacturer.

----------

Quote:
Ooops. Collateral damage. That was directed at the other guy.

----------

Are you saying the aluminum in the iPhone is so soft that it just bends from a simple case?
If people have to apply enough force to get their phone into a case, pushing on it in a certain way could bend the phone. Yes that is what I'm saying. Too much FORCE may have been applied.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:50 PM   #274
tensiondeadache
macrumors regular

Quote:
I honestly can't say as I haven't used a case like that in a while. It just happened to be a common theme among those with bent phones. I hope apple takes yours back or maybe you can prove if it was the case somehow that caused, maybe take it up with the case manufacturer.

----------

If people have to apply enough force to get their phone into a case, pushing on it in a certain way could bend the phone. Yes that is what I'm saying. Too much FORCE may have been applied.
Right now the plan is to get a Lumia 920 to replace it if I can figure out a way. I can't go two years with a phone that bends from NORMAL use.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:11 PM   #275
s15119
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yeah, sure. It just bent.

September 2012.

----------

Quote:
What if it breaks? Then it will be my fault
It's already your fault.
s15119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone