Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:15 PM   #76
jon3543
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
I'm not even kidding the other day I did try to bend it and put a good amount of pressure on it but couldn't get any play out of it what so ever.
Apply more pressure. You haven't proved anything until you break it.
jon3543 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:48 PM   #77
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816
 
LapsangSouchong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: the burrows
This thread is gategate.
__________________
I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself.
Air, Imac, Black/Slate iPhone 5 (GSM)
LapsangSouchong is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:07 PM   #78
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000
 
lelisa13p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandxp View Post
I love how OP starts a thread to get people fired up and never makes any more posts.
It was a hit and run, a drive-by shooting. A waste of bandwidth.
lelisa13p is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:17 PM   #79
Tophersky
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Threadgate
__________________
2008 8-core Mac Pro | iPhone 5 - 32 GB
Tophersky is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:22 PM   #80
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oregon
No reply back from the OP yet? Fail.
duneriderltr450 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:23 PM   #81
cfedu
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal
I do believe that the iPhone 5 is bending and the bending being caused by the user (sitting on the phone, Etc). I also believe that in the iphone 5s we will see the volume buttons slightly smaller.
cfedu is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:54 PM   #82
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
So how many of you are endowed with a bender?
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:15 PM   #83
Sedrick
macrumors 68030
 
Sedrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I think it's cute that everyone thinks if they make fun of and berate every poster that brings up a bent phone, that the issue will go away and that there is no problem what so ever with a phone that's too tall and too thin and too narrow and that's made out of metal that is too soft. Fact is, you can't subject this phone to the same stresses that you could with the previous phone because it bends and there's no amount of denying that will make these many reported issues go away.
__________________
iPod Nano, iPod Touch, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5C, iPad 2
Sedrick is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:16 PM   #84
ixodes
macrumors 601
 
ixodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific Coast, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Explain antennagate.
That's easy to explain.

In fact many people would know the truth... if they did the research. Apple worked very hard to deny & conceal this genuine problem, yet the proof was one search away.

The masters at deception they fed the iDevotees just what they wanted to hear, there's no such thing, blah, blah, blah. Being a rather gullible group they believed everything Steve said. Yet those who had an iP4 knew better.

Much to Apples dismay, the truth leaked out via the Wall St Journal, yet the day after the article was scrubbed from the web.

Fact:

1) The external perimeter antenna was Steve's idea. What Steve wants, Steve gets. Or else.

2) During testing the engineers discovered it was a very poor performer.

3) Steve was alerted in time to fix it, but waved his magic wand over it & told them to ship it.

4) Once the pre-ordered iPhone 4's were in the hands of users like me, and wouldn't even pickup a signal where our iPhone 3G's would very easily, the uproar began.

5) Public pressure built & Steve held a press conference. Then the ugly, ultra arrogant, & very angry Jobs reared up & spewed ... "You're Holding It Wrong!"

After all what do us three year olds know about using a cell phone?

Further Proof.
Even the masses of iDevotees in denial couldn't help but notice that Apple posted jobs for "Antenna Specialists" then created an entire department.

Further Proof.
iPhone 4S is released to much boasting about it's "new & improved" as highlighted by Apple.

Ya gotta give em credit Apple's the master of smoke & mirrors deception. They pull it off quite well.
__________________
An Ultra Fast Mac Is...My Favorite
ixodes is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:20 PM   #85
AFDoc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
I think it's cute that everyone thinks if they make fun of and berate every poster that brings up a bent phone, that the issue will go away and that there is no problem what so ever with a phone that's too tall and too thin and too narrow and that's made out of metal that is too soft. Fact is, you can't subject this phone to the same stresses that you could with the previous phone because it bends and there's no amount of denying that will make these many reported issues go away.
You just blew your entire argument out of the water by saying "you can't subject this phone to the same stresses....". You're right, it's a phone not a car jack. IF you apply abusive presure to the device you'll abuse it.... Makes sense to me. The only problem is people are lying and saying it simply happened all on it's own as it sat next to them on a table as they watched tv ect ect. Not true, never happened.

To be clear, I'm not saying the phone doesn't bend, it obviously does. I simply am saying aluminum such as the kind that's in the iPhone does not spontaneously bend without force being applied. It will however bend if abusive pressure is applied.
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:28 PM   #86
ixodes
macrumors 601
 
ixodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific Coast, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
I think it's cute that everyone thinks if they make fun of and berate every poster that brings up a bent phone, that the issue will go away and that there is no problem what so ever with a phone that's too tall and too thin and too narrow and that's made out of metal that is too soft. Fact is, you can't subject this phone to the same stresses that you could with the previous phone because it bends and there's no amount of denying that will make these many reported issues go away.
For sake of conversation, I'll take your post as fact.
I'll be open to hear more.

My initial response was based on two factors.

1) My trust (possibly misplaced) in Apples engineering team

2) Never having heard of this even though about 50 iPhone 5 users work in my building. Yet in fairness the other phone the company issues is an SGS III, of which more than 80 employees chose. So my only point is company phones take a beating & I would have heard of bent phones.

But I'm not saying it's impossible to bend one.

So now that you know my point of reference, I'd like to hear more. If true I obviously need to be informed about this.

Please advise, your posts I trust.
__________________
An Ultra Fast Mac Is...My Favorite
ixodes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:48 PM   #87
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
I know a few people who keep their iPhone 5 in their back pocket (tight jeans too) out of habit and they're not bent.
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:02 PM   #88
adam044
macrumors 65816
 
adam044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston
You people are serisouly wasting your time just move on.
adam044 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:32 PM   #89
cpc12
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
You know.... If you smash your iPhone 5 with a 10 lb sledgehammer the glass will shatter.
cpc12 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:37 PM   #90
JS82712
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam044 View Post
You people are serisouly wasting your time just move on.
Wasting time eh, as if you aren't doing it with this comment.
JS82712 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:42 PM   #91
Switchback666
macrumors 65816
 
Switchback666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Caribbean
The guy from will it blend needs to make a will it bend video
__________________
What is The B.D.S Movement ? Check it out !
FREEDOM, JUSTICE & EQUALITY !
Switchback666 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:02 AM   #92
VinegarTasters
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
You really want me to reply to this thread?

Unlike some people whose job it is to post on this forum, I just come in to find out about iProducts and complain if there are problems with those that I have. So you may or may not see me for long or short periods of time. Apparently I was in the market for an iPhone 5, but this bendgate thingy is giving me second thoughts. I do own a 3GS (and a lost iPhone 4) so I am familiar with iDevices to some extent.

Those that do own one, can you measure the diameter of the thickness near the edge where the volume button is? I think combined it is less than 2 millimeters. NOTHING 2 millimeters can withstand any force no matter how strong. Someone calculated the pressure inside a coke bottle is enough to bend 2 millimeters thick of 6061 Aluminum. Regular 6061 is so soft you just won't believe it. Do you know why the paint and the anodized stuff comes right off when you poke an iPhone 5? It is THAT soft. For 6061-T6, about 150 pounds of force for 2 millimeters. (in psi I think). Now this is only the edge, not the whole back. Unfortunately, the edge is what keeps the phone in that shape. A thin ply of aluminum sheet is VERY bendable unless it has that edge surrounding the phone. For analogy it is like holding a piece of paper, the other end will fall down due to gravity.

So with only 2 millimeters total of soft 6061 aluminum holding that shape, ALL iPhones 5 are susceptible to bending with light pressure (the SIM card may side may be a little stronger but that is also a weak spot). Only 6061-T6 is going to solve this problem, or another higher grade aluminum, but temporarily (some people are heavier than 150 pounds). You can't keep bending it back because sooner or later that thin layer of aluminum near the volume button will break (I saw some photos where that place broke too).

If you don't believe me, try it. Take an iPhone 4/4S and try to bend it. The glass and the stainless steel is so sturdy. Even plastic is sturdy (just bounces back). But Aluminum has memory. It is like bending a paperclip, it will stay in that shape, and if you bend it back, it will break eventually if you bend it back and forth. The ONLY way this can be fixed is if they use a higher grade aluminum or 6061-T6. If not, this is really a sad development. This is not a minor problem. iPhone 4/4S if you don't drop it ok, maybe. But iPhone 5 you can't even handle it a little rough? It is getting too delicate to the point where you can't even carry it around with you.

Someone has to talk sense to the designers, QA, whatever. Is Cook going to apologize for this too? And then get Ive fired? Or does Ive get free reign type of thing like the press are saying? Yeah, I am stirring a can of worms, but I originally thought software was only their problem for a multi-billinon dollar company, now I have to consider hardware problems in buying decisions too now? Sorry if this rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but someone has to talk sense to these people. I will willingly use stainless steel for iPhone 5, put in 1080p if you can. I can't imagine buying a phone that will bend in a few months time unless I don't touch it.
__________________
iPhone Secrets:
http://www.edepot.com/iphone.html
VinegarTasters is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:36 AM   #93
Merkie
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Let's not fire people until it's been determined how big of an issue this actually is, okay? Because I've read only a few reports of bent iPhones, and it doesn't seem being a widespread problem to me at all.
Merkie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:02 AM   #94
moargolems
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland
I bent my iPhone 90 degrees. It's like plasticine.
__________________
hackintosh + galaxy siii + iphone + ipad
moargolems is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:07 AM   #95
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
I love the people who don't think it's real because it hasn't happened to everyone. My last iPhone 5 DID bend and I didn't subject it to anything I didn't subject my 4 to.
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:22 AM   #96
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Explain antennagate.

----------



Dude you just set yourself up for tons of replies and the "As a fellow engineer" mini-meme I started again lol.
Genuine engineers are sufficiently articulate that they don't need to resort to a large font to express theirself.
Gutwrench is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:24 AM   #97
stoneland
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Um...why would anyone purposely try to bend a phone? Also, just don't sit on it or subject it to brute force, etc. I have a case on mine and have taken it off and on many times...it's a snug case and I have to pry the phone out...no bends whatsoever...I even yank it from the top so the "stress point" as you say, right by the volume buttons, is taking most of the force. No problems at all.
stoneland is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:38 AM   #98
Esoom
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Send a message via Skype™ to Esoom
My friend bent his iPhone 5
Attached Images
 
Esoom is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:48 AM   #99
Leonard1818
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
What I've learned from MacRumors postings:

1. Glass can break when dropped
2. Aluminum can scratch when scratched
3. Aluminum can bend with force
4. Phones and water don't mix
5. Batteries die when you use them
Leonard1818 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:48 AM   #100
syd430
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
What I've learned from MacRumors postings:

1. Glass can break when dropped
2. Aluminum can scratch when scratched
3. Aluminum can bend with force
4. Phones and water don't mix
5. Batteries die when you use them
I think the OP is trying to say that the particular aluminium design used in the iphone 5 is susceptible to deforming even under normal/reasonable use. The keywords here are "normal use".

Anyone outright laughing at the OP, given the dozens of other posts about this here and on other forums, are really just displaying their lack of objectively and herd-like mentality.
  2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Real Racing 3 Gains Real-Time Online Multiplayer and Two New Supercars MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 24 Feb 15, 2014 10:20 PM
Are the cars driven by real people in the real racing 3? nbnbxdnb iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Apr 4, 2013 09:44 PM
Time Machine - confirming when last real real backup was? playethic Mac Basics and Help 2 Feb 19, 2013 03:47 PM
iPhone 5 Bendgate, what should I do? ZakBrandonJake iPhone 16 Dec 5, 2012 06:49 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC