Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:52 PM   #126
dbo43867
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Guys just stop and accept that these phones can bend because of defects in the manufacturing process. Just because it hasn't happened to you and isn't widespread enough doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You don't need to place a very heavy force on it for it to behind spontaneously.
Until that video was posted there was exactly zero evidence to back up the bending claim. I don't understand why no one will take a picture.

Those who don't believe there are bent iPhone 5s aren't exactly denying evolution here.
dbo43867 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:56 PM   #127
Jtludwig
macrumors regular

Quote:
you don't need to place a very heavy force on it for it to behind spontaneously.
If you're placing a force on it, then it's not really spontaneous is it?
Jtludwig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:01 PM   #128
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You don't need to place a very heavy force on it for it to behind spontaneously.
Uhhhh, what's your definition of "very heavy"? Tell you what, make a video of you subjecting your phone to "not very heavy" force and let's see if it bends. IF it bends at a pressure below an acceptable indrustry number I'll pay for your OOW replacement. I'll be waiting.
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:12 PM   #129
Jtludwig
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Uhhhh, what's your definition of "very heavy"? Tell you what, make a video of you subjecting your phone to "not very heavy" force and let's see if it bends. IF it bends at a pressure below an acceptable indrustry number I'll pay for your OOW replacement. I'll be waiting.
Haha. Exactly!

I'm out at Vandenberg. C Springs was fun too.
Jtludwig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:16 PM   #130
jon3543
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
And I'll give his video a Thumbs Up rating!
jon3543 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:56 PM   #131
syd430

Just found a video where you can actually see the bending occurring slowly as more force is applied:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RecJ8FZFN58
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:04 PM   #132
syd430

Did you not watch the video? It might of been pretty subtle but you can definitely see some bending occurring, followed by it gradually going back in to shape. Watch it again.

Last edited by maflynn; Nov 27, 2012 at 05:40 AM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:07 PM   #133
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
Did you not watch the video? It might of been pretty subtle but you can definitely see some bending occurring, followed by it gradually going back in to shape. Watch it again.
It's CGI. The phone is not real.
AlphaDogg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:14 PM   #134
Esoom
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to Esoom
Two words: "Uri Geller"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uri_Geller

Do you-all have thread of the year nominations?

I think this one has all the "OMG, the Apple Store doesn't understand my obsessive compulsive disorder and won't give me a free 27th iPhone/iPod/iPad replacement" threads all beat to hell.

Esoom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:18 PM   #135
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
Um... Look at it again. You can clearly see the reflection of the phone on the table moving with the bend. Also look at the way it bends back in to shape towards the end of the video, you can see it slow down as it gets straighter which is a well known property of aluminium when flexing back in to shape.

Honestly I think you should stop posting about subject matters that you have little knowledge about.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:21 PM   #136
lke
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbo43867 View Post
I just tried to bend my phone. I am a big dude and have broken several devices I've owned, including snapping a Samsung phone from several years ago.

I can get the 5 to flex the tiniest bit- maybe- if I twist the upper corner and lower corner on the opposite side. No matter what I do the phone will not bend.

How someone can remove a 5 from an Otterbox only to have it be bent is beyond me.
Make a video of this and post it on youtube it will be very helpful. Also place your iphone in a flat table to see if it is ok.
lke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:23 PM   #137
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Guys just stop and accept that these phones can bend because of defects in the manufacturing process. Just because it hasn't happened to you and isn't widespread enough doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You don't need to place a very heavy force on it for it to behind spontaneously.
There is no defect in manufacturing. Lol. It's aluminum that is pretty thin. Aluminum is a SOFT metal. It will bend and flex. If your phone is bending, stop sitting on it or applying pressure. It's that simple. Lastly, metal doesn't spontaneously bend. An outside force is needed. An ass for example. A side pocket when you sit and your jeans are too tight.

Some people have no idea what they are jabbering about. Plastic phone, it cracks/scratches. Glass phone, it cracks/scratches easy. Metal band scuffs. All aluminum glass phone, it bends/scratches too easy.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. Go get a plastic phone already and shut up.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:28 PM   #138
Esoom
macrumors member

Quote:
Um... Look at it again. You can clearly see the reflection of the phone on the table moving with the bend. Also look at the way it bends back in to shape towards the end of the video, you can see it slow down as it gets straighter which is a well known property of aluminium when flexing back in to shape.

Honestly I think you should stop posting about subject matters that you have little knowledge about.
Obviously, the expansion differences between the aluminum and glass are what's doing that, and I am easily able to replicate it with my blow dryer on high heat.

You can almost see the effect when a heat gun is applied to the 4 and the 4S, but the glass on both sides hides the actual bending.
Esoom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:31 PM   #139
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbSoluTc View Post
It will bend and flex. If your phone is bending, stop sitting on it or applying pressure
Quote:
A side pocket when you sit and your jeans are too tight.

I think most people would agree that it would be reasonable to expect a $700 phone not to bend when when simply placing it in the side pocket of tight jeans and sitting down.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:32 PM   #140
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
do you not realize that these issues will be addressed in the next version, and it's called iPhone 5S, S for scuff-free.
You do realize that your wasting money on the iPhone 5 then?
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:34 PM   #141
lke
macrumors member

Quote:
There is no defect in manufacturing. Lol. It's aluminum that is pretty thin. Aluminum is a SOFT metal. It will bend and flex. If your phone is bending, stop sitting on it or applying pressure. It's that simple. Lastly, metal doesn't spontaneously bend. An outside force is needed. An ass for example. A side pocket when you sit and your jeans are too tight.

Some people have no idea what they are jabbering about. Plastic phone, it cracks/scratches. Glass phone, it cracks/scratches easy. Metal band scuffs. All aluminum glass phone, it bends/scratches too easy.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. Go get a plastic phone already and shut up.
And if you accidentally drop your iphone and it bends? What will you think?

How many times you have drop an iphone 4 or 4s and it has the same shape? People say that the iphone 5 can bend if drop.
lke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:36 PM   #142
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoom View Post
Obviously, the expansion differences between the aluminum and glass are what's doing that, and I am easily able to replicate it with my blow dryer on high heat.

You can almost see the effect when a heat gun is applied to the 4 and the 4S, but the glass on both sides hides the actual bending.

Thank you. See, AlphaDogg, someone else agrees that the video is real. That's 2 vs 1.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:42 PM   #143
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Just found a video where you can actually see the bending occurring slowly as more force is applied:

If you look really closely, you can tell the blow dryer is fake. Obviously there is some kind of bend in the space time continuum that is making the the phone bend like that.
duneriderltr450 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:44 PM   #144
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
do you not realize that these issues will be addressed in the next version, and it's called iPhone 5S, S for scuff-free.
More like the 5STFU.........
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:47 PM   #145
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816

Quote:

This is gonna be fun! iPhone as shrinky dink!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:48 PM   #146
Esoom
macrumors member

One thing that confuses me a little is the origin of the people promoting this as another "gate"

Do hedge funds recruit non native English speaking folks to post in threads like this so they can try to manipulate Apple's stock price or are there really that many clueless morons out there?
Esoom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:48 PM   #147
Jtludwig
macrumors regular

Quote:
I think most people would agree that it would be reasonable to expect a $700 phone not to bend when when simply placing it in the side pocket of tight jeans and sitting down.
You must have gained some weight because those must be awfully tight jeans.

Jtludwig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:57 PM   #148
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Thank you. See, AlphaDogg, someone else agrees that the video is real. That's 2 vs 1.
Opinions don't matter. I will personally fly to your city, take you out to an expensive dinner and then kiss your feet if that's a real iPhone. Hell, I'll be your sex slave if that's a real iPhone.
AlphaDogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:59 PM   #149
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtludwig View Post
You must have gained some weight because those must be awfully tight jeans.

Don't see what your point is?

You said that aluminium bends and that people should avoid sitting down with their phone in their side pocket if they want to avoid this.

I was pointing out that if this is actually true, then it would indeed be a design flaw by any reasonable persons standard.

Hitting your iphone with a sledge hammer or dropping off a table is one thing, putting your phone in a side pocket of a tight pair of jeans and having it bend is something altogether.

Again, not saying that it does bend that easily, just that if it was indeed true, then really it's a design flaw.

Edit: Just realised that it was the other guy that said it, not you. Never mind.

Last edited by syd430; Nov 26, 2012 at 11:51 PM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:03 PM   #150
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
...you can see it slow down as it gets straighter which is a well known property of aluminium when flexing back in to shape.
I don't think you understand what thermal expansion is. The only metal I know of that can return to it's original shape with addition/retraction of heat energy is nitinol.

Now you need to take your own advice and...
Quote:
stop posting about subject matters that you have little knowledge about.
If you honestly cannot differentiate between a real iPhone and a forgery, then you need to study the design of the iPhone a little bit more. Even a layman is more familiar with iPhone design than you.
AlphaDogg is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone