Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:09 AM   #1
kulimer
Banned

How are those iPhone bills going for ya?

Hello guys,
I am considering getting the iPhone 5, it really is not expensive with a 2 year contract. But I really think companies like AT&T is nailing you on the phone bill, considering that it is a variable cost (not a one time fixed cost).

So, I would like to know how is everyone doing with his/her phone bill, before I make the decision to get mine.
kulimer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:12 AM   #2
dukebound85
macrumors P6

How does my ability to pay my phone bill help you exactly. I'm confused
dukebound85 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:21 AM   #3
swervinsuburban
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
How does my ability to pay my phone bill help you exactly. I'm confused
I think he wants to know on average what we pay if it goes up or down etc
swervinsuburban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:38 AM   #4
iALLOUT4eva
macrumors regular

My GF,her mom, and I all pay 63 a piece each month. This is the sprint unlimited everything package.
iALLOUT4eva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:02 AM   #5
spork183
macrumors 6502a

In a nutshell, we have a family plan with 4 phones. 2 are iphones and 2 are just voice and texting. One of the iphones has unlimited data (no longer available). To change one of the regular phones to a smart phone data plan would run me about $32 more per month plus the price of the phone. For the 4 phones (2 smart phones and 2 plain) Our Verizon bill averages about $180/month. To go with 4 iphones, our bill would jump to about $240/month.

Don't know if that helps or not.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:56 AM   #6
ManuCH
macrumors member

OK, this is advice from a different country (Switzerland), but if I were in the US, I'd look for an "everything unlimited" plan, so I know what I'm spending, with no extras, period.

I currently pay $129/month for flat Internet with 21 Mbit/s speed, unlimited calls inside the country, unlimited texts, 100 minutes of calls abroad and 100 MBytes of data usage while roaming. The same can be had for as low as $69/month: data is slower, and there are no minutes abroad included.

So again, if you get an unlimited plan, you don't have to worry about how much you spend.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:05 AM   #7
seeharrison
macrumors regular

I'm in the US and have AT&T. With two iPhones, unlimited talk/text and 6GB of shared data, my bill runs about $140 a month.
seeharrison is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:14 AM   #8
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502

Well you have a few options. If the high monthly rates with AT&T/Verizon are a concern I would suggest lookin at some of the prepaid options.

- Straighttalk is an mvno that uses AT&T own towers. It is $45 unlimited everything. I believe there is a 2GB unwritten cap on the data though

T-Mobile has a $60 prepaid plan for unlimited everything with a soft data cap of 2GB, 5GB for $70

Only downsides to these services are that you will have to pay the full upfront price for the iPhone 5. Also with Tmobile the 3G data speeds for the iPhone might not be available yet depending on your area. No LTE access for either of these networks either.

Otherwise you will have to suck it up and pay $100+ per month with AT&T/Verizon or a little less with sprint but with poor coverage and slow 3G data.
Mr Hill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:16 AM   #9
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Single iPhone tiered data plan. 3GB/month. 450 minutes and unlimited text. I pay $90/month with a government/military discount. If I could get away with 200 or less minutes I would. I don't need that much for non-AT&T calls.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:30 AM   #10
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020

We pay more per month because we are smartphone users, and are expected to have higher priced bills. You've got to pay to play.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:36 AM   #11
zildMacjian
macrumors member

40 a month, was paying round 35 with ip4 but instead of 1gb i get unlimited data.

hopefully 3 can have some of ee`s 4g (think they own some of it, dont know the in and outs of it)
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:46 AM   #12
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

How is my phone bill a variable cost? I sign up for a plan and my bill stays the same (within one cent) for two years...
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:49 AM   #13
gotluck
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
How is my phone bill a variable cost? I sign up for a plan and my bill stays the same (within one cent) for two years...
If you dont have unlimited data/ voice and you go over your cap, the bill would be a variable cost.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone