Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:46 AM   #1
fins831
macrumors 6502a

Want to save my iPhone 5 to iTunes on new comp...

Here's the deal, I currently use a 2009 MBP that is circling the drain. I plan on buying a new MBP this holiday season, but my iPhone 5 is currently synced to the old one, and from what I remember, iPhones can only be 'married' to one system, so when I connect it to transfer music/pics, etc its going to tell me I must delete everything first.

Well, I want to avoid that, and I backup my phone to icloud and iTunes, call me old fashioned. Just wondering how I can somehow save the iPhone to iTunes marriage so when I get my new MBP, I can just tweak a setting or two, paste a file, or something so that basically it recognizes my iPhone and won't ask to delete it...

Any ideas?
fins831 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by fins831 View Post
Here's the deal, I currently use a 2009 MBP that is circling the drain. I plan on buying a new MBP this holiday season, but my iPhone 5 is currently synced to the old one, and from what I remember, iPhones can only be 'married' to one system, so when I connect it to transfer music/pics, etc its going to tell me I must delete everything first.

Well, I want to avoid that, and I backup my phone to icloud and iTunes, call me old fashioned. Just wondering how I can somehow save the iPhone to iTunes marriage so when I get my new MBP, I can just tweak a setting or two, paste a file, or something so that basically it recognizes my iPhone and won't ask to delete it...

Any ideas?
Use TM, Carbon Cloner or anything like that, restore on your new computer, you're set.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:59 AM   #3
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
Use TM, Carbon Cloner or anything like that, restore on your new computer, you're set.
To elaborate on this, if you use TM, CC, or Migration Assistant (my favorite) then the iPhone will basically think the new computer is the old computer. So that's how these methods work.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:08 AM   #4
fins831
macrumors 6502a

Yeah I want to start fresh though, and I just don't want to deal with all the clutter of my old system. I haven't deleted anything in 3 years +, I am looking to start fresh but still getting iTunes to recognize my iPhone 5...is it as easy as saving the iPhone backups and pasting them back into the folder?

I just want a fresh new MBP but still retaining my iPhone 5 connection, and then I will start fresh with TM. Is this possible?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
To elaborate on this, if you use TM, CC, or Migration Assistant (my favorite) then the iPhone will basically think the new computer is the old computer. So that's how these methods work.
Thanks for clarifying, was posting and running earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fins831 View Post
Yeah I want to start fresh though, and I just don't want to deal with all the clutter of my old system. I haven't deleted anything in 3 years +, I am looking to start fresh but still getting iTunes to recognize my iPhone 5...is it as easy as saving the iPhone backups and pasting them back into the folder?

I just want a fresh new MBP but still retaining my iPhone 5 connection, and then I will start fresh with TM. Is this possible?
Yes, this will work. The best was is to copy your entire music folder over, plus the backups which are located here: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

Put everying in the same place on your new comp and you'll be fine.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:49 PM   #6
WesCole
macrumors 6502a

Also, don't forget to "deactivate" you old MacBook from your iTunes account. You are only allowed a few devices on your account and if you reach the limit, I believe you have to call Apple and have them reset all your devices (at least that is what I had to do a couple of years ago).
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:01 PM   #7
fins831
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesCole View Post
Also, don't forget to "deactivate" you old MacBook from your iTunes account. You are only allowed a few devices on your account and if you reach the limit, I believe you have to call Apple and have them reset all your devices (at least that is what I had to do a couple of years ago).
thanks for heads up, doing all this now
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:13 PM   #8
MisterDisney
macrumors 6502a

You can deauthorize all your devices and re-authorize them as needed, without contacting Apple.
MisterDisney is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone