Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:41 AM   #1
mattxi
macrumors member

Video editing - iMac vs. MPB vs. mini

Hey all--
I do heavy video editing using premiere and after effects. At the moment I'm barely pushing through any actual editing on a late 2008 MacBook Pro. I'm able to do some editing on it, but usually have to bring it to my late 2009 iMac to actually render it.

In a battle of pros and cons, I've come to a halting decision that I'm sure many of you have experienced. Do I sacrifice portability for power? I'm not terribly crazy about portability, and in the case I go for the iMac or mini, I would be toting it around 2-3 times a week in a pelican case.

I've always been a fan of the iMac and mbp, and have no experience with the mini. Is there anything in it that gives me an advantage over an iMac, after I've upgraded everything and included the 27" TB display?

I feel that the new mpb, despite its infinite power over my mpb and iMac combined, won't give me as much as I'm looking for, which would be satisfied with the soon-to-come (hopefully) iMac.

Can anyone give me some insight?
mattxi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:11 PM   #2
Pie Chips Salad
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattxi View Post
Hey all--
I do heavy video editing using premiere and after effects. At the moment I'm barely pushing through any actual editing on a late 2008 MacBook Pro. I'm able to do some editing on it, but usually have to bring it to my late 2009 iMac to actually render it.

In a battle of pros and cons, I've come to a halting decision that I'm sure many of you have experienced. Do I sacrifice portability for power? I'm not terribly crazy about portability, and in the case I go for the iMac or mini, I would be toting it around 2-3 times a week in a pelican case.

I've always been a fan of the iMac and mbp, and have no experience with the mini. Is there anything in it that gives me an advantage over an iMac, after I've upgraded everything and included the 27" TB display?

I feel that the new mpb, despite its infinite power over my mpb and iMac combined, won't give me as much as I'm looking for, which would be satisfied with the soon-to-come (hopefully) iMac.

Can anyone give me some insight?
For your purposes the mini is a no go. It doesn't have a dedicated graphics card and so it won't handle your video editing well at all. Otherwise is quite a capable machine. I just bought one for music production.

You said that you would be moving around 2-3 times per week. I'd go for the MBP or MBPR for sure. Its like essentially a mac mini with a better mobile graphics card and a nice screen. It would do every thing you need and you could get it now.
Pie Chips Salad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:29 PM   #3
mattxi
macrumors member

Thanks -- but portability put aside, do you think the new iMac will provide a significant difference as far as power compared to the mbp?

I mean the obvious answer is yes, but will the difference be significant enough to give up portability?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Apple Corps
macrumors 68020

"...heavy video editing..." = Mac Pro.

Last time I looked the iMac got very low scores on the portability front.
Apple Corps is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:17 PM   #5
mattxi
macrumors member

On the portability front, I'm not concerned. I can deal with it. But it does need to be somewhat portable, and the Mac Pro won't be at all, at least compared to the iMac.

Not to mention, Mac Pro is a little far for my budget...
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:38 PM   #6
Apple Corps
macrumors 68020

A refurb Quad Core Mac Pro can be had for around $1800 from Apple.

If you have ever touched the top of an iMac doing "heavy" rendering you will have doubts about its longevity. The expandability of the Mac Pro is impressive and the cooling is unsurpassed.

I'd give it some more thought if you can get past the portability issue.
Apple Corps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:44 PM   #7
mattxi
macrumors member

Will do! Thank you for your advice!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:09 AM   #8
jfriedman8
macrumors regular

I agree with the Mac Pro suggestion. When I did a lot of heavy video editing, my Mac Pro was king. When I had a 27 iMac doing the same tasks, it was way more time consuming. My iMac also ran REALLY hot during some of this which led to some of that greying / ghosting on the screen long term.

2012 MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 | 16GB | Data Doubler 1.2TB
2013 Macbook Air
Retina iPad Mini: 128 GB Space Grey - iPhone 6: 128GB Space Grey
jfriedman8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:59 AM   #9
eagandale4114
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattxi View Post
Will do! Thank you for your advice!
Or try ebay. There are some great mac pros out there. And the expandability is unsurpassed.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:01 AM   #10
mattxi
macrumors member

Would any of you see a reason in going for an iMac as an all around computer, just to have the slight edge of somewhat-portability, or are most of you straight up Mac Pro fans?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac