Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:08 AM   #1
nasa25
macrumors 6502

I'm in love with my iPad/wireless keyboard combo

Picked up the mini on launch and I just grabbed the apple wireless keyboard for desk use. I'm in love. The physical keyboard makes composing iMessages and emails so much easier. I know this is counterintuitive to one of the key value propositions of the iPad, but I can't help but love it.

Anyone else use a wireless keyboard with your iPad? If so, do you feel it accentuates ease of use?
nasa25 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:21 AM   #2
syd430

Just wait till you discover this thing called a laptop.
  13 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:22 AM   #3
nasa25
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
you mean the macbook pro that is literally right beside my iPad/keyboard combo - yeah thats decent as well.
nasa25 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:27 AM   #4
puma1552
macrumors 68040

I toyed with the idea of picking up one of those keyboards, but then realized if that was the case I would've been much better off with an 11" MBA. I think it's best to just realize the limitations of the iPad and keep the typing to short things, like this post.
puma1552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:28 AM   #5
OdT22
macrumors regular

I ordered a keyboard for my mini, which should be here tomorrow. (Logitech solar)

Very much looking forward to trying it out. Love the mini the way it is, but editing text can be cumbersome at times. Hope I like it as much as you do.
OdT22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:29 AM   #6
PhiladelphiaX
macrumors member

I use my hands and fingertips for my iPad. I type on my desktop and notebook. But if you're happy, we're happy for you, OP!

PhiladelphiaX is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Esoom
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to Esoom
Have heard good things about the Logitech solar kb for Apple products.
Esoom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:35 AM   #8
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa25 View Post
you mean the macbook pro that is literally right beside my iPad/keyboard combo - yeah thats decent as well.
Glad you didn't take me too seriously

To be serious though, I have BT keyboard that I used to pair with my ipad. I stopped doing that after I realised that all i'm really doing is creating a more cumbersome version of a laptop.

You said it yourself in your OP, it kills the value proposition of the form factor.

On the upside, ever since the split keyboard was introduced to ios, my iPads have turned into thumb typing speed demons, changing the way I use them.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:01 PM   #9
nasa25
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdT22 View Post
I ordered a keyboard for my mini, which should be here tomorrow. (Logitech solar)

Very much looking forward to trying it out. Love the mini the way it is, but editing text can be cumbersome at times. Hope I like it as much as you do.
yeah I love the iPad for everything besides text input. The keyboard fills that gap quite nicely.

----------

Quote:

To be serious though, I have BT keyboard that I used to pair with my ipad. I stopped doing that after I realised that all i'm really doing is creating a more cumbersome version of a laptop.

You said it yourself in your OP, it kills the value proposition of the form factor.

On the upside, ever since the split keyboard was introduced to ios, my iPads have turned into thumb typing speed demons, changing the way I use them.
I just can't type accurately on a virtual keyboard. If I could, it'd probably eliminate my need for a wireless keyboard when composing large amounts of text.
nasa25 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:39 PM   #10
novono
macrumors member

Quote:
Well, not really, I'd say it augments it. If you're not lucky enough to have both an iPad and MBP or MBA, docking your iPad on a stand and using a wireless keyboard for any intense text input adds to the device's function. Of course, it's not as a mobile a setup as just using the iPad by itself.

But if you need to be mobile and have a keyboard to type on, you could still get one of these below, which are merely cases with keyboards attached. It's still very easy to get your iPad off the cases and use it as initially intended.

novono is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:18 PM   #11
RWil85
macrumors 6502

Quote:

How does one acquire said split keyboard?
RWil85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:38 PM   #12
novono
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWil85 View Post
How does one acquire said split keyboard?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCIOGo5658I
novono is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:46 PM   #13
Built
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Picked up the mini on launch and I just grabbed the apple wireless keyboard for desk use. I'm in love. The physical keyboard makes composing iMessages and emails so much easier. I know this is counterintuitive to one of the key value propositions of the iPad, but I can't help but love it.

Anyone else use a wireless keyboard with your iPad? If so, do you feel it accentuates ease of use?
I'm with you. I've been carrying my Apple wireless keyboard together with my iPad for a while and love it, especially when I am traveling.

I have big hands and typing on the iPad itself is more difficult than I would like.

And for the haters on here, I have a MBP and an MBA but the iPad/wireless keyboard is a great option for me when I am on the go.
Built is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:39 PM   #14
RenoG
macrumors 65816

Wow has laptops really become the bulky desk top pc's of today....?
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:03 PM   #15
OdT22
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoG View Post
Wow has laptops really become the bulky desk top pc's of today....?
Maybe so. We won't miss the two MBAs we sold last week. Bottom line is that cords suck, and mobility rules.
OdT22 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:03 PM   #16
Haifisch
macrumors regular

Do you guys use Siri to voice dictate? I know it looks silly in public but at home it works pretty good.
Haifisch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:26 PM   #17
OdT22
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haifisch View Post
Do you guys use Siri to voice dictate? I know it looks silly in public but at home it works pretty good.
No, though it does work quite well. Unfortunately, I type slow and think even slower. So I type ...instead of narrating.

Given some arrow keys for editing, one device would probably have sufficed. But, that hasn't happened yet according to thee App Store.
OdT22 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:24 AM   #18
jojoba
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I use a wireless keyboard (Apple keyboard with the origami set, occasionally a LogiTech), and I think it's a great way to get more mileage out of the iPad. If I'm away for work for a day or two, or if I'm going to full day seminars or conferences, I always take this combo with me instead of my Air - that way, I never have to worry about battery runnng out or Internet access, and I get to use stylus input as well should I need it.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:56 AM   #19
jigzaw
macrumors regular

Interested in the apple wireless keyboard for my ipad, but the thing is very expensive. It should cost 35-40 bucks, not 70, and it should come with the origami case. I love my apple products and don't complain about the price of the phone or iPad, but the accessories are priced outrageously.
jigzaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:02 AM   #20
Hamburger
macrumors regular

Quote:

I used my wireless keyboard with the iPad1. But now that I have the Mini I simply dictate my Messages and Emails :-)
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:06 AM   #21
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdT22 View Post

Can you post me the link to where you bought it. I tried their site and couldnt find it there.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:14 AM   #22
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigzaw View Post
Interested in the apple wireless keyboard for my ipad, but the thing is very expensive. It should cost 35-40 bucks, not 70, and it should come with the origami case. I love my apple products and don't complain about the price of the phone or iPad, but the accessories are priced outrageously.
the thing is, if you you get the apple keyboard you will still need a stand. This keyboard feels very similar to the apple one and has a built in stand. I would not use it in portrait mode though. You can get it at the apple store, but it cost $20 more
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultra...I1VPKWX0T8ULT9
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:41 AM   #23
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Love the logitech ultrathin keyboard cover for my iP3, and carry the two together in a targus leather (iP1) portfolio.

The Apple BT keyboard is a better pure typing experience, but even with the origami stand, it's too much added bulk.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:54 AM   #24
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
Love the logitech ultrathin keyboard cover for my iP3, and carry the two together in a targus leather (iP1) portfolio.

The Apple BT keyboard is a better pure typing experience, but even with the origami stand, it's too much added bulk.
that is the way I feel. I love that apple keyboard, but then I need a separate stand, which basically defeats the purpose
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:42 AM   #25
Abazigal
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I can see scenarios where an ipad+keyboard combo may be superior to a laptop. Just imagine, you have a tablet you can bring and use with you anywhere around the house, and when you need to hammer out a lengthy email or document, set it down on the table, connect the bluetooth keyboard and start typing away.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad