Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Picked up the mini on launch and I just grabbed the apple wireless keyboard for desk use. I'm in love. The physical keyboard makes composing iMessages and emails so much easier. I know this is counterintuitive to one of the key value propositions of the iPad, but I can't help but love it.

Anyone else use a wireless keyboard with your iPad? If so, do you feel it accentuates ease of use?

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I toyed with the idea of picking up one of those keyboards, but then realized if that was the case I would've been much better off with an 11" MBA. I think it's best to just realize the limitations of the iPad and keep the typing to short things, like this post.

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
I ordered a keyboard for my mini, which should be here tomorrow. (Logitech solar)

Very much looking forward to trying it out. Love the mini the way it is, but editing text can be cumbersome at times. Hope I like it as much as you do.

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
I use my hands and fingertips for my iPad. I type on my desktop and notebook. But if you're happy, we're happy for you, OP!

:)

S

syd430

you mean the macbook pro that is literally right beside my iPad/keyboard combo - yeah thats decent as well.

Glad you didn't take me too seriously :D

To be serious though, I have BT keyboard that I used to pair with my ipad. I stopped doing that after I realised that all i'm really doing is creating a more cumbersome version of a laptop.

You said it yourself in your OP, it kills the value proposition of the form factor.

On the upside, ever since the split keyboard was introduced to ios, my iPads have turned into thumb typing speed demons, changing the way I use them.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
canada
I ordered a keyboard for my mini, which should be here tomorrow. (Logitech solar)

Very much looking forward to trying it out. Love the mini the way it is, but editing text can be cumbersome at times. Hope I like it as much as you do.

yeah I love the iPad for everything besides text input. The keyboard fills that gap quite nicely.

----------

To be serious though, I have BT keyboard that I used to pair with my ipad. I stopped doing that after I realised that all i'm really doing is creating a more cumbersome version of a laptop.

You said it yourself in your OP, it kills the value proposition of the form factor.

On the upside, ever since the split keyboard was introduced to ios, my iPads have turned into thumb typing speed demons, changing the way I use them.

I just can't type accurately on a virtual keyboard. If I could, it'd probably eliminate my need for a wireless keyboard when composing large amounts of text.

novono

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012

Well, not really, I'd say it augments it. If you're not lucky enough to have both an iPad and MBP or MBA, docking your iPad on a stand and using a wireless keyboard for any intense text input adds to the device's function. Of course, it's not as a mobile a setup as just using the iPad by itself.

But if you need to be mobile and have a keyboard to type on, you could still get one of these below, which are merely cases with keyboards attached. It's still very easy to get your iPad off the cases and use it as initially intended.

B007PRHNHO_Ultrathin-KB-Cover_CTG_lg.jpg

folio_ipad_case.jpg

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010

How does one acquire said split keyboard?

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Picked up the mini on launch and I just grabbed the apple wireless keyboard for desk use. I'm in love. The physical keyboard makes composing iMessages and emails so much easier. I know this is counterintuitive to one of the key value propositions of the iPad, but I can't help but love it.

Anyone else use a wireless keyboard with your iPad? If so, do you feel it accentuates ease of use?

I'm with you. I've been carrying my Apple wireless keyboard together with my iPad for a while and love it, especially when I am traveling.

I have big hands and typing on the iPad itself is more difficult than I would like.

And for the haters on here, I have a MBP and an MBA but the iPad/wireless keyboard is a great option for me when I am on the go.

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
Do you guys use Siri to voice dictate? I know it looks silly in public but at home it works pretty good.

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
Do you guys use Siri to voice dictate? I know it looks silly in public but at home it works pretty good.

No, though it does work quite well. Unfortunately, I type slow and think even slower. So I type ...instead of narrating.

Given some arrow keys for editing, one device would probably have sufficed. But, that hasn't happened yet according to thee App Store.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011

I use a wireless keyboard (Apple keyboard with the origami set, occasionally a LogiTech), and I think it's a great way to get more mileage out of the iPad. If I'm away for work for a day or two, or if I'm going to full day seminars or conferences, I always take this combo with me instead of my Air - that way, I never have to worry about battery runnng out or Internet access, and I get to use stylus input as well should I need it.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
Interested in the apple wireless keyboard for my ipad, but the thing is very expensive. It should cost 35-40 bucks, not 70, and it should come with the origami case. I love my apple products and don't complain about the price of the phone or iPad, but the accessories are priced outrageously.

Hamburger

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011

I used my wireless keyboard with the iPad1. But now that I have the Mini I simply dictate my Messages and Emails :)

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

Can you post me the link to where you bought it. I tried their site and couldnt find it there.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Interested in the apple wireless keyboard for my ipad, but the thing is very expensive. It should cost 35-40 bucks, not 70, and it should come with the origami case. I love my apple products and don't complain about the price of the phone or iPad, but the accessories are priced outrageously.

the thing is, if you you get the apple keyboard you will still need a stand. This keyboard feels very similar to the apple one and has a built in stand. I would not use it in portrait mode though. You can get it at the apple store, but it cost $20 more
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultr...UTF8&colid=I0B9MXPUPO0P&coliid=I1VPKWX0T8ULT9

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Love the logitech ultrathin keyboard cover for my iP3, and carry the two together in a targus leather (iP1) portfolio.

The Apple BT keyboard is a better pure typing experience, but even with the origami stand, it's too much added bulk.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Love the logitech ultrathin keyboard cover for my iP3, and carry the two together in a targus leather (iP1) portfolio.

The Apple BT keyboard is a better pure typing experience, but even with the origami stand, it's too much added bulk.

that is the way I feel. I love that apple keyboard, but then I need a separate stand, which basically defeats the purpose

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Just wait till you discover this thing called a laptop.

I can see scenarios where an ipad+keyboard combo may be superior to a laptop. Just imagine, you have a tablet you can bring and use with you anywhere around the house, and when you need to hammer out a lengthy email or document, set it down on the table, connect the bluetooth keyboard and start typing away.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.