Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:51 PM   #1
PhiladelphiaX
macrumors member

What length warranty did you get with your iPad

What length warranty, if any, did you get along with your iPad/iPad mini? Did you use a SquareTrade, in-house, or manufacturer's warranty? How much did it cost you?
PhiladelphiaX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:58 PM   #2
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

I used Worth Ave Group for insurance since I figured I'd be selling this next year if there's a retina Mini coming out. The cost for 1 year is $33 (for a 32 GB Wi-Fi).

I use them because they cover water damage, drops and theft. I thought about AppleCare+, but I didn't really need to extend the warranty past 1 year and the accidental coverage is $99 upfront for AC+, plus $49 once you have it replaced. While WAG also has a $50 deductible, I only paid $33 upfront.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:04 PM   #3
poloponies
macrumors 68030

The basic differences are:

Applecare extends manufacturer's defects coverage for a second year and covers 2 instances of damage due to drops or water damage with a $49 co-pay.

Worth is insurance only, covers loss/theft or damage, but not defects.

SquareTrade covers defects and damage but coverage stops once you hit the value of the item (so if they spend $329 to repair/replace your $329 device then coverage ends).
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:12 PM   #4
PhiladelphiaX
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloponies View Post
The basic differences are:

Applecare extends manufacturer's defects coverage for a second year and covers 2 instances of damage due to drops or water damage with a $49 co-pay.

Worth is insurance only, covers loss/theft or damage, but not defects.

SquareTrade covers defects and damage but coverage stops once you hit the value of the item (so if they spend $329 to repair/replace your $329 device then coverage ends).
What is the difference between "damage" and "defects" if you don't mind me asking?
PhiladelphiaX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:54 PM   #5
HDJulie
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaX View Post
What is the difference between "damage" and "defects" if you don't mind me asking?
Essentially - damage = something the user/owner did, defect = something the manufacturer did (or rather, didn't do since it will be a failure of some sort).
HDJulie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:04 PM   #6
joeshmo2010
macrumors 6502a

Mine is covered by amex. Extends the warranty up to an extra year. Covers damage and theft for 90 days
joeshmo2010 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:54 PM   #7
j_maddison
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to j_maddison Send a message via MSN to j_maddison Send a message via Yahoo to j_maddison Send a message via Skype™ to j_maddison
3 years Applecare through the edu store. I've not seen 3 years as an option before, and took it. it is a bit pricey in the UK though.

I plan to hold onto the iPad Mini until the second Gen is released and then pass it on to a family member, which is why I opted for the 3 years. Otherwise I might have just gone for the standard 1 year
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:54 PM   #8
BRyken
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmo2010 View Post
mine is covered by amex. Extends the warranty up to an extra year. Covers damage and theft for 90 days
+1 amex ftw
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:06 PM   #9
Medic311
macrumors 68000

AMEX here as well
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:23 PM   #10
dazz87
macrumors regular

Amex
dazz87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:38 PM   #11
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

i just stick with apple warrenty 3 months phone assistant, and 1 year replacement.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:03 AM   #12
The Catalyst
macrumors 6502

Extended warranty through SquareTrade. Now's a really good time to lock in your warranties with them due to many 35% off coupons floating around through the holiday season.
The Catalyst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:19 AM   #13
jabingla2810
macrumors 68000

I got 2 years.

Standard from John Lewis with iPads.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:42 PM   #14
stuaz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabingla2810 View Post
I got 2 years.

Standard from John Lewis with iPads.

Same.
stuaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:48 PM   #15
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
I used Worth Ave Group for insurance since I figured I'd be selling this next year if there's a retina Mini coming out. The cost for 1 year is $33 (for a 32 GB Wi-Fi).

I use them because they cover water damage, drops and theft. I thought about AppleCare+, but I didn't really need to extend the warranty past 1 year and the accidental coverage is $99 upfront for AC+, plus $49 once you have it replaced. While WAG also has a $50 deductible, I only paid $33 upfront.
wow, never knew about them. That is the way to go if you upgrade yearly. Thanks!....nevermind, no ipad 4 coverage.

I have a question. Aside from ethical reasons, what stops someone from buying that insurance only if they have an accident?
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:04 PM   #16
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
wow, never knew about them. That is the way to go if you upgrade yearly. Thanks!....nevermind, no ipad 4 coverage.

I have a question. Aside from ethical reasons, what stops someone from buying that insurance only if they have an accident?
I'd bet they would cover the 4. Since the 3 (32 Wi-Fi) is listed at $599 coverage, they probably just haven't updated their site. BTW, coverage is only $52 for a 32 GB Wi-Fi iPad 3, so it's safe to assume the 4 will be the same price.

Umm, that I don't know. I've always purchased it before having an accident. Of course if you don't have your serial number from the broken device, you'd be SOL if you didn't have the original box or it has already been swapped at Apple.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:57 PM   #17
layziegtp
macrumors regular

Applecare+

I figured, it's worth $150 for a brand new iPad in two years, when I spent over a grand on it in the first place.
layziegtp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:54 AM   #18
TaylorMatsu
macrumors member

Spent the money on AppleCare +
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:13 PM   #19
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
What length warranty, if any, did you get along with your iPad/iPad mini? Did you use a SquareTrade, in-house, or manufacturer's warranty? How much did it cost you?
3 years (through an Apple reseller) - in accordance with the law. If I bought an iPad at Apple, they'd be stubborn and refuse to comply to the (Dutch) law and give me only one year.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:19 PM   #20
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post

You can get a refund for the unused portion of Applecare +

Theft is the only reason to use worth.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:57 PM   #21
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
You can get a refund for the unused portion of Applecare +

Theft is the only reason to use worth.
Yes, and I wanted theft protection since I bring my Mini with me all the time. It can be stolen out of my car and I'm covered. While true, if I have to replace my iPad due to an accident, I'll only be out $83 versus the $149 from Apple. I have AC+ plus on my iPhone 5 since that will get handed down to my wife next year and we wanted the extra warranty.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:19 PM   #22
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
Aside from ethical reasons, what stops someone from buying that insurance only if they have an accident?
Their fraud department. Do you really think you invented this idea?

Quote:
This is why you need to be clear in your OP regarding warranty versus insurance. Damage is typically covered by insurance. Defects are typically covered by warranty. Some coverages may straddle the differences but that's typically how these words are used for most products out there.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:27 PM   #23
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
Their fraud department. Do you really think you invented this idea?

This is why you need to be clear in your OP regarding warranty versus insurance. Damage is typically covered by insurance. Defects are typically covered by warranty. Some coverages may straddle the differences but that's typically how these words are used for most products out there.
obviously. I just meant is there any provision like applecare+..."needs to be purchased w/i X amount of time," to prevent fraud
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:42 PM   #24
Glope
macrumors member

I bought mine in the last month from John Lewis, mainly because they offered a 2 year protection on it
Glope is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:17 AM   #25
rollzst
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmo2010 View Post
Mine is covered by amex. Extends the warranty up to an extra year. Covers damage and theft for 90 days
I wish amex did this in the uk on their gold card. The strange thing is there is extended warranty with green card but not gold or platinum!
http://www.integratech.co.uk
rollzst is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad