Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

View Poll Results: Will the next iPad feature slimmer bezels?
Yes, definitely. 46 71.88%
No, definitely not. 12 18.75%
Yes, but I do not want slimmer bezels. 0 0%
No, but I do want smaller bezels. 5 7.81%
Other (see comment) 1 1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:33 PM   #1
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Will The Next iPad Feature Slimmer Bezels?

I was just thinking about the new iPad mini and the possible next-generation (fifth) 9.7" iPad.

I think there's a good possibility that Apple will give the next-gen 9.7" iPad slim bezels just like the iPad mini. It would slim down the 9.7" iPad significantly: if only the bezel on the left and right sides were slimmed down by just one centimeter it would save 45.35 cubic centimeters (cm^3).

Also the 9.7" iPad would be 20 millimetres less wide.

Some facts
- In portrait mode, the bezels on the right and left sides are 1.8 cm thick
- In portrait mode, the bezels on the top and bottom sides are 2.1 cm thick

Reduce the bezels on the left and right side to 0.8 cm and reduce the bezels on the top and bottom to at least 1.8 cm (on iPhone 5, they also made the top and bottom bezels smaller).

I believe 0.8 cm should be enough to hold the device and any additional touches on the touchscreen can be dealt with by the software (just like on the iPad mini).

Combine this with a thinner design (let's say at least 8.8 mm like the old iPad 2) and what you get is thin and much smaller iPad.

I definitely thing such a move would be a smart move by Apple. You've still got the big 9.7" display, but the over-all device is much smaller. The difference in portability between a 9.7" iPad and a 7.9" iPad mini would become smaller. This way, Apple can - maybe - also lure customers to buy a $499 9.7" iPad, instead of a $329 7.9" iPad mini.

It is obvious to me: Apple should reduce the bezels on a 9.7" iPad.
ThatsMeRight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:44 PM   #2
D1G1T4L
macrumors 68000
 
D1G1T4L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
I hope not. One thing that did bother me with the mini is I tend to hold my iPad on the side and with the thin bezel i tend to have my thumb on the screen. I like a little bezel to be able to hold.
D1G1T4L is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Awakener
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Apple could remove 1/4" from each side. Wouldn't affect using it, but would shave off 8 sq. inches!
Awakener is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:23 PM   #4
applefanDrew
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
I was just thinking about the new iPad mini and the possible next-generation (fifth) 9.7" iPad.

I think there's a good possibility that Apple will give the next-gen 9.7" iPad slim bezels just like the iPad mini. It would slim down the 9.7" iPad significantly: if only the bezel on the left and right sides were slimmed down by just one centimeter it would save 45.35 cubic centimeters (cm^3).

Also the 9.7" iPad would be 20 millimetres less wide.

Some facts
- In portrait mode, the bezels on the right and left sides are 1.8 cm thick
- In portrait mode, the bezels on the top and bottom sides are 2.1 cm thick

Reduce the bezels on the left and right side to 0.8 cm and reduce the bezels on the top and bottom to at least 1.8 cm (on iPhone 5, they also made the top and bottom bezels smaller).

I believe 0.8 cm should be enough to hold the device and any additional touches on the touchscreen can be dealt with by the software (just like on the iPad mini).

Combine this with a thinner design (let's say at least 8.8 mm like the old iPad 2) and what you get is thin and much smaller iPad.

I definitely thing such a move would be a smart move by Apple. You've still got the big 9.7" display, but the over-all device is much smaller. The difference in portability between a 9.7" iPad and a 7.9" iPad mini would become smaller. This way, Apple can - maybe - also lure customers to buy a $499 9.7" iPad, instead of a $329 7.9" iPad mini.

It is obvious to me: Apple should reduce the bezels on a 9.7" iPad.

No b/c it is a different sized device that is held differently. You need the bezel on the big iPad. On Mini, you don't need it (as much).
applefanDrew is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:27 PM   #5
mattopotamus
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I think from a looks standpoint the smaller bezel looks great, but in reality the larger one is better b.c you do not accidentally push things. At least this is true for the larger ipad b.c your fingers naturally grip the sides
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:55 PM   #6
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
I got the mini Nov. 2nd and I have yet to accidentally press anything along the edge. Mainly used in landscape because I hate portrait, even on the larger ipad.
Ladybug is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:02 PM   #7
kodeman53
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Interesting the MR Admins took away the down vote, but left the ability to start polls. Go figure.
kodeman53 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:19 PM   #8
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
I hope not.
__________________
128 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:37 PM   #9
dvboy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
If they can manage to make it lighter and thinner,then making the bezel a little smaller would make sense to me.
dvboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:45 PM   #10
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Bezel is same width as an average thumb.

This isn't a coincidence.
__________________
2.4 Alu Macbook 2GB 250GB
jabingla2810 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:48 PM   #11
BRyken
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I think it might be interesting to slim the iPad bezel done similar to iPad mini, would shed weight, but it also may cut into battery size which I don't think Apple would do.
__________________
Mac Mini 2.7GHz i7 16GB RAM Fusion Drive | 27" Thunderbolt Display | Seagate Backup Plus 3TB USB 3.0|16 GB Black iPhone 5
BRyken is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:02 PM   #12
EMAN19
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York, NY
It'd be nice if they slimmed down the bezel a bit for aesthetic's sake.

But I also stand by the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" mentality too. *shrugs shoulders*

Doesn't matter too much to me though. I don't plan on ditching the Mini for its older brother.
EMAN19 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:15 PM   #13
MacAgnostic
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
Apple could remove 1/4" from each side. Wouldn't affect using it, but would shave off 8 sq. inches!
Using the iPad mini bezel as a reference (not 1/4", but some), here's my guess at how it might look:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad 5.png
Views:	59
Size:	947.4 KB
ID:	379661  
MacAgnostic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:40 PM   #14
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
i would prefer they cut the weight more than doing anything with the design. Having a black/slate one would be cool but not the bezels.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:05 PM   #15
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
On a touchscreen, a thicker bezel isn't always a bad idea depending how u use it of course
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:53 PM   #16
ctyrider
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
It would slim down the 9.7" iPad significantly: if only the bezel on the left and right sides were slimmed down by just one centimeter it would save 45.35 cubic centimeters (cm^3).
You are forgetting that those 45.35 cubic centimeters are used by the battery, which makes it possible for iPad to have the Retina display *and* 9-hour battery life we all love. Unless there is a major break through in retina display / GPU power consumption - significantly shaving off the size of the iPad is an impossible proposition.
__________________
11" MacBook Air 2014 i7 1.7GHz 8GB 128GB | 2x 27" Thunderbolt Displays | iPhone 5S

Last edited by ctyrider; Nov 25, 2012 at 11:59 PM.
ctyrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:51 PM   #17
ThatsMeRight
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyrider View Post
You are forgetting that those 45.35 cubic centimeters are used by the battery, which makes it possible for iPad to have the Retina display *and* 9-hour battery life we all love. Unless there is a major break through in retina display / GPU power consumption - significantly shaving off the size of the iPad is an impossible proposition.
IGZO technology. The need for the bigger battery would vanish and 50% of the LEDs could be removed.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:55 PM   #18
ctyrider
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
IGZO technology. The need for the bigger battery would vanish and 50% of the LEDs could be removed.
There have been many discussions about IGZO.. As of now, it is unclear as to how much power savings this technology delivers, as well as Sharp's ability to make 9.7" screen using this technology on the required scale.

I am sure that eventually, Apple will be able to miniature 9.7" iPad form factor.. I too am hoping for iPad Mini like form factor update (reduced besels, thinner iPod Touch like casing).. It's just not possible today, or in the next 6 months.
__________________
11" MacBook Air 2014 i7 1.7GHz 8GB 128GB | 2x 27" Thunderbolt Displays | iPhone 5S
ctyrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:11 PM   #19
ThatsMeRight
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyrider View Post
There have been many discussions about IGZO.. As of now, it is unclear as to how much power savings this technology delivers, as well as Sharp's ability to make 9.7" screen using this technology on the required scale.

I am sure that eventually, Apple will be able to miniature 9.7" iPad form factor.. I too am hoping for iPad Mini like form factor update (reduced besels, thinner iPod Touch like casing).. It's just not possible today, or in the next 6 months.
It actually is in the next six months. The panel driving power for an IGZO display is about 40% to 60% less and the backlight 20 to 40% less.

Up to around five inch IGZO displays are possible since this quarter, and I even remember reading that they are going up to 32 inch before the second half of 2012.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:51 PM   #20
rowspaxe
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
After playing with the mini--I wish apple would have emphasized form factor more on the ipad3--super light, no retina, 6hr battery life, smaller bezels. Just me
rowspaxe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:10 PM   #21
reputationZed
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 34°55′42″N 80°44′41″W (34.928201, -80.744835)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
I got the mini Nov. 2nd and I have yet to accidentally press anything along the edge. Mainly used in landscape because I hate portrait, even on the larger ipad.
I haven't run into any issues with the mini's smaller bezels either, and I prefer using both the mini and my iPad 4 in portrait.
__________________
But you and I, we’ve been through that,
And this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968
reputationZed is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: IPAD 4 control center, bezels, and leather cases. familyman iPad Accessories 0 Jan 18, 2014 10:15 AM
engineering reasons for bezels? spinedoc77 iPhone 10 Sep 3, 2013 02:25 PM
Why do Apple laptops have such huge bezels? Radiating MacBook Pro 4 Mar 15, 2013 10:04 PM
slimmer thunderbolt display haoqfu Mac Peripherals 3 Oct 23, 2012 10:21 PM
Macbook Air silver bezels... Panini MacBook Air 8 Aug 7, 2012 01:41 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC