Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chloe1705

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Hi,

Iv always used mobile me in the past but after a couple of years i like to publish a new site for our business online and have looked into i as iv now only just discovered mobileme has gone :eek: I think i need to publish my site via iWeb using FTP (hope i have this right)? and that i need to purchase web hosting.. anyone have any suggestions??
my domaine name is with 123 REG.COM and was considering buying web hosing from them but it is rather pricey.

Vervious

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
San Jose
Today's Cyber Monday - so there's a lot of hosting deals.

The hosting company I use is A Small Orange. It has extraordinary customer service and is so far very reliable in terms of speed and uptime. The Tiny shared hosting plan (which I use - it doesn't have much space but you might not need too much bandwidth) is regularly $35.00 a year and is well worth the money.

Today they have a 75% off coupon, so you could get the entire thing for $8.75 the first year, which includes a free domain if you want. Link to their website

You can definitely ftp in. I don't know if you really need to purchase web hosting if mobileme is gone (but I never figured out how mobile me works either) but that's for you to decide.

I've also heard good things about HostGator and BlueHost. Not sure if they have deals today. Namecheap is doing a 60% off on their shared hosting today but I don't know how good it is.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
GoDaddy: Steer Clear.

Their web site (a usability nightmare) is always changing making it impossible to find what you need within 20 clicks. Add to this so-so customer care, security issues and several outtages a year. I should jump ship but haven't gotten around to it.

shootingrubber

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2009
Don't use GoDaddy.

I use HostGator and I am pretty pleased with it thus far. Their customer support is impeccable.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
one.com is very cheap and more than good enough if you plan to use iWeb. If you use this link you join the referral plan and you'll get 3Gb webspace extra.
Just keep in mind iWeb is no longer supported by apple, as long as you have a mac that can run it you are safe but remember you enter a dead end street if you start using it.

TechnologyLasts

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
I've used FatCow for a client website, and I love it. Their up-time is great and their support is excellent, especially considering the price. They are extremely cheap, and frequently have sales for new users.

http://www.fatcow.com/

There will probably be a lot of sales on many web hosting providers, not just FatCow, due to the upcoming holiday season.

bronxred

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Bronx
Dreamhost all the way!

I'm partial to Dreamhost. Have been with them for nine years and they have always been quick, courteous and helpful whenever I've had an issue or question of any kind. They have all the usual "unlimited" stuff and a great control panel.

Jake :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Refugeek

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Belgium
it's hard to find unbiased info on this online because all these hosting companies offer juicy affiliate fees. I'm very happy having my sites hosted at site5.com.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I've also had bad customer service from 1&1 - think hours and multiple calls to accomplish the simplest tasks. Their control panel makes it difficult to get to the settings and updates take days to appear live.

genshi

macrumors 6502a

Yep, I was just about to recommend Media Temple as well.

I've been with several hosts since 1999 and Media Temple has been the best so far. The have a reputation among designers for implementing the latest tools needed for best standards, and they are the host that all the big names use (Adobe, Sony, Starbucks, NBC Universal, Warner Bros, etc.) but they are surprisingly affordable. I pay $20 a month and I can host 100 separate websites for that amount (not just sub-domains.) Highly recommended.

Jeffois

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
Fatcow

I've been using Fatcow for a long time---I've always been happy. Uptime all the time, easy to use control panel. Comes with some Google and other ad credits. I'm willing to be many of the other companies do the same.

I would echo the concern about using iWeb---it's a dead end. I would search for, (or ask more people more knowledgeable than I am on these boards) ways to export from iWeb should the need arise. It may be really easy, I just never used the program, so I don't know...

Enjoy!

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Yep, I was just about to recommend Media Temple as well.

I've been with several hosts since 1999 and Media Temple has been the best so far. The have a reputation among designers for implementing the latest tools needed for best standards, and they are the host that all the big names use (Adobe, Sony, Starbucks, NBC Universal, Warner Bros, etc.) but they are surprisingly affordable. I pay $20 a month and I can host 100 separate websites for that amount (not just sub-domains.) Highly recommended.

I recommend it also, just a quick FYI on $20.00 grid type of hosting including this company, you get ~1 TB short path combined bandwidth for up to 100 sites which is fine for small business or low traffic sites. However, if you go over the bandwidth you will automatically be charged for overage at the rate of ~$0.15 per GB generally.

Media Temple has auto-installers for Drupal, Word Press and Zen Cart and a cool iPhone compatible control panel. They also don't need to take the grid down to do common maintenance. Highly recommended.

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
England
Vidahost are excellent. Was using 123reg.co.uk and they weren't bad, but Vidahost are exceptional :D.

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
SimplexWebs

SimplexWebs - Pretty much the most reliable hosting company I've been with, own all their own hardware, support used to be ticket based, but they've now introduced telephone support even for technical enquiries which is quite rare.

Had minor downtime in the 4 years I've been with them.

Handy link:

https://www.simplexwebs.com/

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I've found Bluehost to be excellent. We recommend and support them for our self-hosted customers (photographers). Response and uptime is good, the admin console well-organised, advanced services such as the ability to set up code repositories, SSH, Redmine, etc. all there, and the pricing very reasonable.

Hostgator is also very good, however I left them after my domain went to a holding page when their automatic renewal process didn't trigger (which happened to be the day a prospective employer tried to look at my online portfolio, and took out my email as well).

Avoid the following due to a mix of poor reliability and poor customer service:

Go Daddy
Network Solutions (and affiliates that leverage their infrastructure)
123 Reg
GNXonline (I would not recommend them to even my worst enemy. Beyond abysmal is an understatement)

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
OVH, hands down. While HostGator charges about 10 bucks a month for hosting (cheap), OVH has it for 1/3rd of that, plus click-and-install modules, support staff. Supports all common languages, CMS platforms, shopping carts, unlimited bandwidth and 100GB storage. Includes domain registration in this price, with anonymizer. Just too many to list here, as it really depends on what you need.

They used to limit the number of hits-per-hour your site could receive, but I don't think this is the case anymore.

RIZZO124

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2013
I use godaddy and haven't had any problems.....so far. Not withstanding the negative comments above about their service.

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
After a long string of different shared hosting sites, ending with Bluehost, I'm now on a VPS (Linode). I just prefer to have a legitimately dedicated server (albeit virtual) with a truly sandboxed environment.

Not to mention it's my server, so I can update the OS and the applications how I please, as well as secure it tighter than shared hosting can be.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
A Small Orange, Dreamhost, FatCow, HostGator, BlueHost and others were bought by EIG, Endurance International Group. If you do some research on internet you'll find that EIG hosts don't have a good reputation. After they were bought by EIG, a lot of customers complain about a significant reduction of the quality of service, support, uptime, speed.

Probably two or more years ago they were good, but today you can find too complaints to say that they are the best providers you can go with.

Holy crap... here are all the companies under EIG according to Wikipedia:

nZNNq0t.gif

I had no idea they were all related!

I've been hosting with Site5 for many years. Never had a problem with them.

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
I had no idea they were all related!

I've been hosting with Site5 for many years. Never had a problem with them.

Yeah EIG have been gradually buying up a lot of large hosts and then "upgrading" their clients onto their lower end (and more contended) infrastructure.

I'd find it difficult to recommend anyone who they own currently.

If my input is of any value, I'm currently using Digital Ocean for just about everything now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.