Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:39 PM   #1
chloe1705
macrumors newbie

Suggestions needed - Whats the best web hosting service to use?

Hi,

Iv always used mobile me in the past but after a couple of years i like to publish a new site for our business online and have looked into i as iv now only just discovered mobileme has gone I think i need to publish my site via iWeb using FTP (hope i have this right)? and that i need to purchase web hosting.. anyone have any suggestions??
my domaine name is with 123 REG.COM and was considering buying web hosing from them but it is rather pricey.

chloe1705 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:34 AM   #2
Vervious
macrumors newbie

Today's Cyber Monday - so there's a lot of hosting deals.

The hosting company I use is A Small Orange. It has extraordinary customer service and is so far very reliable in terms of speed and uptime. The Tiny shared hosting plan (which I use - it doesn't have much space but you might not need too much bandwidth) is regularly $35.00 a year and is well worth the money.

Today they have a 75% off coupon, so you could get the entire thing for $8.75 the first year, which includes a free domain if you want. Link to their website

You can definitely ftp in. I don't know if you really need to purchase web hosting if mobileme is gone (but I never figured out how mobile me works either) but that's for you to decide.

I've also heard good things about HostGator and BlueHost. Not sure if they have deals today. Namecheap is doing a 60% off on their shared hosting today but I don't know how good it is.
Vervious is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:02 PM   #3
designs216
macrumors 65816

GoDaddy: Steer Clear.

Their web site (a usability nightmare) is always changing making it impossible to find what you need within 20 clicks. Add to this so-so customer care, security issues and several outtages a year. I should jump ship but haven't gotten around to it.
designs216 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:12 AM   #4
shootingrubber
macrumors 6502

Don't use GoDaddy.

I use HostGator and I am pretty pleased with it thus far. Their customer support is impeccable.
shootingrubber is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:44 AM   #5
teleromeo
macrumors 65816

one.com is very cheap and more than good enough if you plan to use iWeb. If you use this link you join the referral plan and you'll get 3Gb webspace extra.
Just keep in mind iWeb is no longer supported by apple, as long as you have a mac that can run it you are safe but remember you enter a dead end street if you start using it.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:37 AM   #6
TechnologyLasts
macrumors newbie

I've used FatCow for a client website, and I love it. Their up-time is great and their support is excellent, especially considering the price. They are extremely cheap, and frequently have sales for new users.

http://www.fatcow.com/

There will probably be a lot of sales on many web hosting providers, not just FatCow, due to the upcoming holiday season.
TechnologyLasts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:55 PM   #7
webdevpro
macrumors newbie

HostGator wins every time.

Hi I must agree that Hostgator is the best hosting service in the world. Absolutely blown away with their customer service, SERVER SPEED (On average it is 3X faster than my previous hosting company — absolutely insane), unlimited disk space, unlimited bandwidth (no additional fees whatsoever), CGI, PHP5, Curl, SSH, Python, Cron, Image Magick, Streaming Audio/Video & even free hotlink protection, ip deny manager & unlimited php/mysql databases. Did I forget to mention it comes with AWStats and Webalizer built into cPanel for top notch SEO?! And if you get the Business account it comes with a FREE Private SSL and Dedicated IP. With the other hosting companies you would be paying an arm and a leg for the same features. And here’s a bonus…

If you want a 25% DISCOUNT use the code 25SPECIALDEAL on the “Step 1: Choose a Domain” page at the bottom where it says “Enter a Coupon Code!” when you sign up for any web hosting plan :-) ! Enjoy and tell your friends!

Sincerely,
Hassan
webdevpro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:33 PM   #8
chan-man
macrumors newbie

I'm starting my own web design and dev business and would consider hosting if for you and my rates are pretty cheap. What is the website?
chan-man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:44 PM   #9
bronxred
macrumors member

Dreamhost all the way!

I'm partial to Dreamhost. Have been with them for nine years and they have always been quick, courteous and helpful whenever I've had an issue or question of any kind. They have all the usual "unlimited" stuff and a great control panel.

Jake

Last edited by OllyW; Feb 28, 2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: removed referral link
bronxred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:35 AM   #10
segovius
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to segovius Send a message via Yahoo to segovius Send a message via Skype™ to segovius
Exabytes.com are pretty cheap and many features.
segovius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:17 PM   #11
Refugeek
macrumors newbie

it's hard to find unbiased info on this online because all these hosting companies offer juicy affiliate fees. I'm very happy having my sites hosted at site5.com.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:26 AM   #12
designs216
macrumors 65816

I've also had bad customer service from 1&1 - think hours and multiple calls to accomplish the simplest tasks. Their control panel makes it difficult to get to the settings and updates take days to appear live.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:13 PM   #13
Flood123
macrumors 6502a

Media Temple.
http://mediatemple.net/
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:17 PM   #14
genshi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood123 View Post
Yep, I was just about to recommend Media Temple as well.

I've been with several hosts since 1999 and Media Temple has been the best so far. The have a reputation among designers for implementing the latest tools needed for best standards, and they are the host that all the big names use (Adobe, Sony, Starbucks, NBC Universal, Warner Bros, etc.) but they are surprisingly affordable. I pay $20 a month and I can host 100 separate websites for that amount (not just sub-domains.) Highly recommended.
genshi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:51 PM   #15
Jeffois
macrumors newbie

Fatcow

I've been using Fatcow for a long time---I've always been happy. Uptime all the time, easy to use control panel. Comes with some Google and other ad credits. I'm willing to be many of the other companies do the same.

I would echo the concern about using iWeb---it's a dead end. I would search for, (or ask more people more knowledgeable than I am on these boards) ways to export from iWeb should the need arise. It may be really easy, I just never used the program, so I don't know...

Enjoy!
Jeffois is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:19 AM   #16
SrWebDeveloper
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Yep, I was just about to recommend Media Temple as well.

I've been with several hosts since 1999 and Media Temple has been the best so far. The have a reputation among designers for implementing the latest tools needed for best standards, and they are the host that all the big names use (Adobe, Sony, Starbucks, NBC Universal, Warner Bros, etc.) but they are surprisingly affordable. I pay $20 a month and I can host 100 separate websites for that amount (not just sub-domains.) Highly recommended.
I recommend it also, just a quick FYI on $20.00 grid type of hosting including this company, you get ~1 TB short path combined bandwidth for up to 100 sites which is fine for small business or low traffic sites. However, if you go over the bandwidth you will automatically be charged for overage at the rate of ~$0.15 per GB generally.

Media Temple has auto-installers for Drupal, Word Press and Zen Cart and a cool iPhone compatible control panel. They also don't need to take the grid down to do common maintenance. Highly recommended.
SrWebDeveloper is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:39 PM   #17
Dal123
macrumors 6502a

Vidahost are excellent. Was using 123reg.co.uk and they weren't bad, but Vidahost are exceptional .
Old Jun 9, 2013, 01:48 PM   #18
thePHPguru
macrumors newbie

Most Shared Hosting is Comparable

I think you will find most shared hosting plans are pretty comparable. There are a few things that you need that pretty much they all offer and besides those things it's just a matter of getting the best price.
  1. Linux (Never get windows hosting)
  2. 1 click install for whatever CMS you are using (I recommend wordpress)
  3. Unlimited Emails (Almost all providers offer unlimited email accept Godaddy)
  4. cPanel (vDesk and Plesk are ok options too, but I recommend cPanel)
  5. Multiple domain management (You might need to buy more domains and manage them under one account)
  6. Mysql Databases
  7. SSL Certificated & Dedicated IP address (you should be able to upgrade and get these)

Just ensure you are getting all these things and then find the provider with the cheapest price. Hosting companies change prices often take a look at this web hosting pricing list to get the current prices, make sure the company offers what I listed above.
thePHPguru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2013, 05:17 AM   #19
jeromewankel
macrumors newbie

While choosing a web host consider these below given factor
  • Price
  • Bandwidth & disk space
  • Email features
  • Technical support
  • Customer Reviews

Reading reviews will be be more helpful to choose the right web host !!!
jeromewankel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2013, 05:21 AM   #20
rsnapeuk
macrumors regular

SimplexWebs

SimplexWebs - Pretty much the most reliable hosting company I've been with, own all their own hardware, support used to be ticket based, but they've now introduced telephone support even for technical enquiries which is quite rare.

Had minor downtime in the 4 years I've been with them.

Handy link:

https://www.simplexwebs.com/
Old Mar 31, 2014, 03:45 AM   #21
ohbrilliance
macrumors 6502a

I've found Bluehost to be excellent. We recommend and support them for our self-hosted customers (photographers). Response and uptime is good, the admin console well-organised, advanced services such as the ability to set up code repositories, SSH, Redmine, etc. all there, and the pricing very reasonable.

Hostgator is also very good, however I left them after my domain went to a holding page when their automatic renewal process didn't trigger (which happened to be the day a prospective employer tried to look at my online portfolio, and took out my email as well).

Avoid the following due to a mix of poor reliability and poor customer service:

Go Daddy
Network Solutions (and affiliates that leverage their infrastructure)
123 Reg
GNXonline (I would not recommend them to even my worst enemy. Beyond abysmal is an understatement)
ohbrilliance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 01:52 PM   #22
jmiddel
macrumors member

I have three sites on Fat Cow, one since 2001, never had a problem and they are totally green.
jmiddel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:41 PM   #23
Cubytus
macrumors 65816

OVH, hands down. While HostGator charges about 10 bucks a month for hosting (cheap), OVH has it for 1/3rd of that, plus click-and-install modules, support staff. Supports all common languages, CMS platforms, shopping carts, unlimited bandwidth and 100GB storage. Includes domain registration in this price, with anonymizer. Just too many to list here, as it really depends on what you need.

They used to limit the number of hits-per-hour your site could receive, but I don't think this is the case anymore.
Cubytus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:01 PM   #24
RIZZO124
macrumors newbie

I use godaddy and haven't had any problems.....so far. Not withstanding the negative comments above about their service.
RIZZO124 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:13 PM   #25
calzonzote
macrumors newbie

I use Globat no problems at all... good tech support... unlimited space...
calzonzote is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development