Website Admin from Finder? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Jul 1, 2014, 09:44 PM   #1
willcapellaro
macrumors 6502

Website Admin from Finder?

Is there any way I can administer a web site directly from the finder?

I have a GoDaddy site that I rarely update, but I would very much to drag and drop things rather than use a terrible ftp-style program or web portal to do so.
willcapellaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 06:50 AM   #2
960design
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcapellaro View Post
Is there any way I can administer a web site directly from the finder?
Yes
Quote:
I have a GoDaddy site...
I'm sorry to hear that
Quote:
...I would very much to drag and drop things rather than use a terrible ftp-style program or web portal to do so.
Not so terrible FTP-style program I use all the time is CyberDuck
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:27 AM   #3
willcapellaro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960design View Post
Yes
I'm sorry to hear that
Not so terrible FTP-style program I use all the time is CyberDuck
Thanks. Looks like I have Cyberduck already, maybe I should try using it...
willcapellaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:52 PM   #4
Sebct
macrumors member

If your willing to pay for something, take a look at transmit. Gives you a split-screen view with your local files on one side and server files on the other...

iPad Air - iPhone 5S - MBP 17", 2.4 Ghz - iMac 20" - MBA 13" 2011 - Mac Pro - Dual Apple 30" Displays
Sebct is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:19 PM   #5
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcapellaro View Post
. but I would very much to drag and drop things rather than use a terrible ftp-style program or web portal to do so.
I just use "ftp" from the terminal. It's about as simple as can be.

The terminal actually has a drag and drop feature. Drop a file icon onto the terminal and the full path to the file name(s) appear as if you typed it. This makes ftp very quick and easy.

I think most web browsers handle FTP also with easy drag and drop file transfer. Try it. Safari or Firefox should just work.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 09:50 AM   #6
ocabj
macrumors regular

sshfs via FUSE

I stopped using it after google stopped updating the code base for MacFUSE a few years ago.

But the project appears to have been forked off:

http://osxfuse.github.io/
ocabj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 09:57 PM   #7
Cromulent
macrumors 603

I'd highly recommend you stop using FTP altogether. It is insecure and can lead to server breaches. A much better alternative is to use SFTP which actually encrypts the connection between your computer and your server so that the password is not sent in plain text across the internet like it is with FTP.
Cromulent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:45 PM   #8
ocabj
macrumors regular

Again, I iterate sshfs over MacFUSE. If you're not understanding what it is, it is basically mounting a remote volume via SSH (assuming the server is running sshd) such that you have a network volume you can mount on your local host that is accessible via Finder and is connected via SSH (secure shell). Hence, "sshfs" (ssh filesystem). Unlike SFTP which is using ftp style protocols over an SSH tunnel, SSHFS is a filesystem in userspace (hence "FUSE") and is facilitated by the FUSE modules/drivers to generate that kernel to userspace bridge to create the virtual FS.
ocabj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:30 PM   #9
theluggage
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebct View Post
If your willing to pay for something, take a look at transmit. Gives you a split-screen view with your local files on one side and server files on the other...
+1 for Transmit, although you can do the job with free (e.g. Filezilla) or shareware (cyberduck) , transmit is a nicely put together app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
Again, I iterate sshfs over MacFUSE.
The practical upshot of this is that since the remote files turns up as a mounted 'volume' any Mac app can access them directly.

Transmit 4 gives you a choice of using the dedicated FTP/SFTP client (which replicates most of the Finder functionality) or mounting the remote site as a volume using 'TransmitFS' (similar functionality to MacFUSE/SSHFS).
theluggage is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development