Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Dec 8, 2014, 08:44 AM   #1
amtjb
macrumors newbie

password

I am designing a website. I want to put the required option to add ID and password to access the website for each person. What programming language do I need to use. What is a book you can suggest I read to learn how to do this?
amtjb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2014, 09:03 AM   #2
superscape
macrumors regular

Oooof! That's a broad topic.

There are many possible combinations. I'm assuming you're already fairly familiar with HTML.

I guess one common combination would be PHP & MySQL, possibly with some JavaScript thrown in. You're going to have a fairly steep learning curve... not that that should put you off - everyone has to start somewhere!

Good luck
superscape is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2014, 09:56 AM   #3
amtjb
macrumors newbie

Password

Thanks for the information.
amtjb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:59 AM   #4
robvas
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtjb View Post
I am designing a website. I want to put the required option to add ID and password to access the website for each person. What programming language do I need to use. What is a book you can suggest I read to learn how to do this?
https://www.railstutorial.org/book
robvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2014, 06:25 PM   #5
Jamesbot
macrumors member

CGI Programming with Perl, 2nd Edition

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781565924192.do
Jamesbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2014, 06:50 PM   #6
Jamesbot
macrumors member

Also, make sure you've read and understand the answer to this question before launching your website.
Jamesbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2014, 04:08 PM   #7
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbot View Post
cgi programming with perl, 2nd edition

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781565924192.do
lol.
NutsNGum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2014, 08:57 PM   #8
nomade
macrumors member

If you are hosted with a Cpanel service you can password lock a folder.
nomade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:43 AM   #9
IHelpId10t5
macrumors newbie

So far the comments have been unreasonably kind. I'll be the first honest one here. The only responsible answer to your question is that you should NOT even attempt to roll your own website authentication code! Vulnerabilities are found on a monthly basis for even the most popular CMSs and frameworks that have had hundreds of qualified developers involved in the projects.

What you should do is instead research carefully what established CMS and/or MVC framework that you might want to integrate into your web development project. Even then, you will need to monitor and update that framework frequently to ensure that your website remains safe from vulnerabilities.
IHelpId10t5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development