Apache server doesn't work - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Today, 08:38 AM   #1
may89
macrumors newbie

Apache server doesn't work

Hey folks,
I have mac pro mid 2012 mavericks.
Apache server doesn't work on my mac. When I enter localhost on web browser it shows me

I don't know how to solve this problem. Anyone can help me fixing it?
may89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:33 AM   #2
ghellquist
macrumors regular

So, what did you expect should happen?
And have you checked some tutorials on the net on how to set up a website using Apache?

// Gunnar
ghellquist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:38 AM   #3
may89
macrumors newbie

Well actually it was working. At first when I wrote localhost there was "It Works!". Now it doesn't work I don't know why.
may89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:35 AM   #4
jwhazel
macrumors regular

Apple has made it way harder to set up a web dev stack in Mavericks than what it needs to be. The guides I've looked at are all pretty lacking in one way or another. If you're just trying to run apache for something quick/simple then press on. If you plan on doing anything remotely more intense such as scripting or long term dev, look into another easier to use stack like xampp. You'll save yourself some hours of frustration.

The issue you're seeing is a permissions related one. Theres a number of things that could be wrong here, but off the top of my head...

1.) The file you're trying to read doesn't have proper permissions. Go into terminal and make sure its chmod 644 for a static file or chmod 755 for a script.
2.) the directory or one of the parent directories your content is in doesn't have proper permissions. Say your apache conf is set to use /foo/bar/mywebsite/. All 3 of those directories 'foo', 'bar', and 'mywebsite' need to be chmod 755.
3.) you might need to play with chown'ing /foo/bar/mywebsite to _www or your username.
jwhazel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:25 PM   #5
960design
macrumors 6502a

I use MAMP for development work on my Macs. No muss, no fuss.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Tags
apache, mac 10.9, server