Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:29 PM   #1
dynafrom
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Delusional sellers

Why is it that I see macbooks selling more USED then a refurbished one from Apple on craigslist/kijiji? Are people seriously that stupid? I get scathing emails from sellers when I offer them $100 less refurb on apple.com.
__________________
rMBP GT650M OC'd +120/+1000
dynafrom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:32 PM   #2
mohsy90
macrumors 65816
 
mohsy90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynafrom View Post
Why is it that I see macbooks selling more USED then a refurbished one from Apple on craigslist/kijiji? Are people seriously that stupid? I get scathing emails from sellers when I offer them $100 less refurb on apple.com.
Most buyers just aren't aware that Apple and other sites sell refurbished MacBooks. They also dont like the sound of "refurbished" products even though those of us familiar with them now that they're basically new. Sellers are the same way and price it above refurbs. I myself price it more than refurbs as well because most buyers just dont have a clue.
__________________
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.
mohsy90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:33 PM   #3
dynafrom
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsy90 View Post
Most buyers just aren't aware that Apple and other sites sell refurbished MacBooks. They also dont like the sound of "refurbished" products even though those of us familiar with them now that they're basically new.
Lol, and refurbished comes with a proper warranty vs. a schmuck who could have spilled water on his machine.
__________________
rMBP GT650M OC'd +120/+1000
dynafrom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:45 PM   #4
mohsy90
macrumors 65816
 
mohsy90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynafrom View Post
Lol, and refurbished comes with a proper warranty vs. a schmuck who could have spilled water on his machine.
I sold my 1 year old 2011 MacBook Pro for $1025 to some guy on craigslist back in June. I got alot of reasonable offers based on refurb prices, but I waited it out till I got that one "delusional" buyer who didnt know better.
__________________
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.
mohsy90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:12 PM   #5
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Just bypass the whole argument and tell them up front, No Offense Intended, but This is ALL I can spend. Then if they come back and ask, you explain why.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:48 PM   #6
cedwhatev
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada
The reason they do this is simply because there are people out there that have no clue about Macs. Trust me on this, because I've sold two of them in the last 6 months. I bought my first MBA last October (a 2010), paid 780.00 for it. I sold it this past July, and while I had it, the warranty ran out, I dinged it, and I damaged two of the rubber feet, and I still sold it for 750.00 on eBay. I bought a refurb 2010 right after (at the time, I didn't think I needed a 2012), and I paid just over 900.00 for it. I sold that one a few weeks ago for 800 on Kijiji. I finally settled on the one I just bought (a 2012 11" 1.7/8/128).. for now. lol

It just goes to show what people regard Macs as. A lot of people have no clue and tend to overpay. Plain and simple.
__________________
MacBook Air 11" 2013 1.7GHz, 8GB, 256SSD
iPad Mini 16GB iPhone 5C 16GB
TV 3 iPod Nano 16GB 4th Gen
cedwhatev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:53 AM   #7
Beanoir
macrumors 6502a
 
Beanoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 51 degrees North
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynafrom View Post
Why is it that I see macbooks selling more USED then a refurbished one from Apple on craigslist/kijiji? Are people seriously that stupid? I get scathing emails from sellers when I offer them $100 less refurb on apple.com.
I'm not surprised you get scathing emails back, it's their Mac and they can put it up for sale for whatever they like and probably don't appreciate somebody telling them it's not worth it.

If YOU think its not worth it, go and find another that is cheaper....or buy a refurb if you reckon they are cheaper??
__________________
iPhone5 32Gb-iPad Mini 64Gb
iMac 27" 3.2Ghz i3 / 16Gb / 1Tb
MacMini 2.33GHz / 128Gb SSD / 20" ACD
Macbook Air 11.6" 1.6Ghz i5 / 4Gb / 128Gb
Beanoir is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:24 AM   #8
Abazigal
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynafrom View Post
Why is it that I see macbooks selling more USED then a refurbished one from Apple on craigslist/kijiji? Are people seriously that stupid? I get scathing emails from sellers when I offer them $100 less refurb on apple.com.
Like you say, there are probably potential buyers who don't bother shopping around for alternatives, and so aren't aware of the price ceiling imposed by refurbished apple products. They are just waiting to be ripped off.

I too wouldn't buy a 2nd hand item from anyone but the online store, simply because I don't know what they may have done to it. Maybe I end up paying a bit more, but I believe it is worth the lesser headache and increased convenience / afterservice.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:42 AM   #9
superhrixenz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Even though the refurbished Apple products are cheaper than on Craiglist, you have to consider the tax. Coming from a state that has 9.25% tax, every purchase needs a tax calculation lol.
superhrixenz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:17 AM   #10
robvas
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
I see G4's and G5's for $600, and Core Duo MacBook Pros (from 2007!) listed for $800
robvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UDID are sellers conning people. U1cracka iOS 7 18 Jul 22, 2013 12:28 AM
Iphone 4 Screen. legit sellers? Lax1085 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Aug 18, 2012 12:07 AM
[Rant] Some mac sellers are idiots... Astroboy907 MacBook Pro 4 Jun 17, 2012 12:47 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC