Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:29 PM   #1
dynafrom
macrumors member

Delusional sellers

Why is it that I see macbooks selling more USED then a refurbished one from Apple on craigslist/kijiji? Are people seriously that stupid? I get scathing emails from sellers when I offer them $100 less refurb on apple.com.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:32 PM   #2
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynafrom View Post
Why is it that I see macbooks selling more USED then a refurbished one from Apple on craigslist/kijiji? Are people seriously that stupid? I get scathing emails from sellers when I offer them $100 less refurb on apple.com.
Most buyers just aren't aware that Apple and other sites sell refurbished MacBooks. They also dont like the sound of "refurbished" products even though those of us familiar with them now that they're basically new. Sellers are the same way and price it above refurbs. I myself price it more than refurbs as well because most buyers just dont have a clue.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:33 PM   #3
dynafrom
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsy90 View Post
Most buyers just aren't aware that Apple and other sites sell refurbished MacBooks. They also dont like the sound of "refurbished" products even though those of us familiar with them now that they're basically new.
Lol, and refurbished comes with a proper warranty vs. a schmuck who could have spilled water on his machine.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:45 PM   #4
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Lol, and refurbished comes with a proper warranty vs. a schmuck who could have spilled water on his machine.
I sold my 1 year old 2011 MacBook Pro for $1025 to some guy on craigslist back in June. I got alot of reasonable offers based on refurb prices, but I waited it out till I got that one "delusional" buyer who didnt know better.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:12 PM   #5
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Just bypass the whole argument and tell them up front, No Offense Intended, but This is ALL I can spend. Then if they come back and ask, you explain why.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:48 PM   #6
cedwhatev
macrumors 6502

The reason they do this is simply because there are people out there that have no clue about Macs. Trust me on this, because I've sold two of them in the last 6 months. I bought my first MBA last October (a 2010), paid 780.00 for it. I sold it this past July, and while I had it, the warranty ran out, I dinged it, and I damaged two of the rubber feet, and I still sold it for 750.00 on eBay. I bought a refurb 2010 right after (at the time, I didn't think I needed a 2012), and I paid just over 900.00 for it. I sold that one a few weeks ago for 800 on Kijiji. I finally settled on the one I just bought (a 2012 11" 1.7/8/128).. for now. lol

It just goes to show what people regard Macs as. A lot of people have no clue and tend to overpay. Plain and simple.
cedwhatev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:53 AM   #7
Beanoir
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm not surprised you get scathing emails back, it's their Mac and they can put it up for sale for whatever they like and probably don't appreciate somebody telling them it's not worth it.

If YOU think its not worth it, go and find another that is cheaper....or buy a refurb if you reckon they are cheaper??
Macbook Air 11.6" 1.6Ghz i5 / 4Gb / 128Gb
Beanoir is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:24 AM   #8
Abazigal
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Like you say, there are probably potential buyers who don't bother shopping around for alternatives, and so aren't aware of the price ceiling imposed by refurbished apple products. They are just waiting to be ripped off.

I too wouldn't buy a 2nd hand item from anyone but the online store, simply because I don't know what they may have done to it. Maybe I end up paying a bit more, but I believe it is worth the lesser headache and increased convenience / afterservice.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:42 AM   #9
superhrixenz
macrumors member

Even though the refurbished Apple products are cheaper than on Craiglist, you have to consider the tax. Coming from a state that has 9.25% tax, every purchase needs a tax calculation lol.
superhrixenz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:17 AM   #10
robvas
macrumors 68000

I see G4's and G5's for $600, and Core Duo MacBook Pros (from 2007!) listed for $800
robvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air