Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:12 PM   #1
adamfishercox
macrumors 6502

Group MMS, iPhone 5, and T-Mobile

I'm using the iPhone 5 on T-Mobile, and Group MMS doesn't work. It works fine if everyone uses iMessages, which makes sense, but if I add in anyone without an iPhone, my group message just sends as an individual text from me.

For example: I send a group text to Tim, Matt, and Bob. Each of them gets a message from Adam, but the other members aren't included in it. If they reply, I get the reply as a message from Bob, but Tim and Matt don't get it at all.

I flat out do not receive group messages that others have started. For example, if Bob creates a group text with Matt, Tim and me, Matt and Tim will get a group text as intended and can reply to each other, but I get nothing. Not an individual text, not a group text: nothing.

Does anyone know a) why this would be a problem and b) if there's any non-jailbreak way to fix this or even just an app to work around it?
adamfishercox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502

It should work fine without a jailbreak. When you go to the messages settings just make sure group messaging is on. Mine is working on my 4S with no issues.
Mr Hill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:46 PM   #3
adamfishercox
macrumors 6502

that's part of the problem, I don't even have that toggle. You have it on TMobile without doing anything besides popping in the SIM?
adamfishercox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:17 PM   #4
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

To see the toggle (and use the functionality), it has to be enabled by your carrier.

As your carrier (T-Mobile USA) isn't a supported carrier, they have no way to actually do that.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:13 PM   #5
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
that's part of the problem, I don't even have that toggle. You have it on TMobile without doing anything besides popping in the SIM?
Yeah when I put my sim inside it just worked like an iPhone does on a supported carrier. Does your FaceTime and iMessage work? Maybe try removing and re inserting the sim to see if the option pops up.
Mr Hill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:01 PM   #6
nostaws
macrumors 6502

Quote:
As your carrier (T-Mobile USA) isn't a supported carrier, they have no way to actually do that.
So, I am on t-mobile, and I do have those options, I have turned them on and I still can't:

1. send group messages
2. consistently receive group messages. I occasionally receive messages from people replying to the group.

A question for those not receiving messages: do you have a data plan or are you phone only and data only when you have wifi?
nostaws is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:06 PM   #7
adamfishercox
macrumors 6502

I have a data plan. Here's hoping things get better now that T-Mobile and Apple are official partners
adamfishercox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:06 PM   #8
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostaws View Post
So, I am on t-mobile, and I do have those options, I have turned them on and I still can't:

1. send group messages
2. consistently receive group messages. I occasionally receive messages from people replying to the group.

A question for those not receiving messages: do you have a data plan or are you phone only and data only when you have wifi?
MMS and group messages do need carrier data.
If you dont have a data plan then that's why those features are not working.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:13 PM   #9
Minhimalism
macrumors 6502a

I'm on T-Mobile and I can send and receive group messages just fine.. as can my other friends, and we never had to enable anything.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:55 PM   #10
flexbrah
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minhimalism View Post
I'm on T-Mobile and I can send and receive group messages just fine.. as can my other friends, and we never had to enable anything.
What are your APN settings?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:00 AM   #11
Minhimalism
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexbrah View Post
What are your APN settings?
The same ones they tell you to do for MMS. When I set this phone up it was already set.. (edit: I take that back I had a backup from my pre-swap iPhone 5 that I had edited the plist on.. but I basically just set things for MMS as anyone else would, not group message.) And MMS and what not all just work. It was glitchy for a day, but now my group message works just fine!

http://support.t-mobile.com/thread/17918?tstart=0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355723989.558422.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	384053  

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone