Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newport123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
my mom got me a Verizon iphone 5
I can not set it up
when I connect to iTunes it says unsupported sim and same thing when I try wifi
I went to att and got a sim for iphone 5

I called Verizon and confirmed this is indeed Verizon iphone 5

please help me
thanks a ton guys

newport123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
I have a Verizon iphoen 5
tried setting it up and said it needs a sim
I went to att and got the nano sim from att

it now it says its unsupported sim card

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC

Because it's an ATT sim..... You have a Verizon iPhone, you need a Verizon sim.

tvith

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
I got my phone in the mail from Verizon's website and my phone didn't come with a sim and nor did I have to put one in. I activated the phone with the telephone number they give in the activation folder. The number is to activate 4G devices only and once I did that I was set to go.
You might want to take your phone into a Verizon store and see what they could do for you.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012

Kind of hard me us to understand.

If it is a Verizon phone, then it should have a sim.

Anyhow, activate with the VZW sim and then put in the ATT sim.

You can get the sim from VZW. If the do not have one, I have 1.

Where are you located?

newport123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
I got my phone in the mail from Verizon's website and my phone didn't come with a sim and nor did I have to put one in. I activated the phone with the telephone number they give in the activation folder. The number is to activate 4G devices only and once I did that I was set to go.
You might want to take your phone into a Verizon store and see what they could do for you.

can you share the phone number with me please

NoCleverSNForMe

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
You are using a Verizon iPhone, so you need to get a Verizon SIM card at a Verizon Wireless store.

For 4G LTE phones, Verizon uses SIM cards. For their 3G-only phones, they did not use SIMs.

tvith

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
You are using a Verizon iPhone, so you need to get a Verizon SIM card at a Verizon Wireless store.

For 4G LTE phones, Verizon uses SIM cards. For their 3G-only phones, they did not use SIMs.

As I mentioned before, my Verizon iPhone 5 did not come with a sim card and I did not buy a sim card. So unless Verizon placed the sim inside my iPhone 5...mine does not have a sim and works perfectly fine. Even connects to LTE. Also, my sis got her iPhone 5 at the Verizon store and I didn't see the rep placing a sim in the phone and hers work just fine.

----------

can you share the phone number with me please

the link I posted below has the # for 4g activation, but read through that post first before calling the #

Last edited:

NoCleverSNForMe

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
As I mentioned before, my Verizon iPhone 5 did not come with a sim card and I did not buy a sim card. So unless Verizon placed the sim inside my iPhone 5...mine does not have a sim and works perfectly fine. Even connects to LTE. Also, my sis got her iPhone 5 at the Verizon store and I didn't see the rep placing a sim in the phone and hers work just fine.

Yes, because iPhone 5s come with SIM cards already in the phone. This is the same with all iPhones that use SIM cards - they already are in the phone. Apple has never produced an iPhone where they give you a separate SIM card and you need to use a paper clip to eject the tray and insert it. It's never been like that - when carriers activate, they activate the SIM inside the phone.

If your sister wants to try an experiment, use a paper clip to eject the SIM in her new iPhone 5. It will be a Verizon SIM, and if she doesn't put it back in, it will not connect to the service.

If your iPhone did not come with one, you need to visit a Verizon Wireless corporate store or call 1-800-922-0204 to request a new one. It is free and they can have it shipped it to you ASAP.

tvith

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
read the link below first.
If your mom ordered the phone using the upgrade from her line then the link below could be your answer.

Last edited:

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
my mom got me a Verizon iphone 5
I can not set it up
when I connect to iTunes it says unsupported sim and same thing when I try wifi
I went to att and got a sim for iphone 5

I called Verizon and confirmed this is indeed Verizon iphone 5

please help me
thanks a ton guys

Call or go to a Verizon store and tell them that you never received a sim card for you iPhone 5.

tvith

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/874463

----------

Yes, because iPhone 5s come with SIM cards already in the phone. This is the same with all iPhones that use SIM cards - they already are in the phone. Apple has never produced an iPhone where they give you a separate SIM card and you need to use a paper clip to eject the tray and insert it. It's never been like that - when carriers activate, they activate the SIM inside the phone.

Ooo, well that make sense. Why couldn't you guys tell me this before I made an ass out of myself?! lol :D
I thought all sim cards came separately and you pop it in. At least that's how I saw it being done in Tmobile one time.
Damn wish I could pop it out, but my case is so tight that I'm scared to take it out in fear that I'll scratch my phone in the process.

thanks for the clarification.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.