Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:36 PM   #1
nano91
macrumors newbie

timemachine backup on ntfs broken?

due to some issues with my external hard drive i used for the timemachine backup, i had to copy all files to another drive which is ntfs formated. now i have the backups directory but i cant acces any files. i read something about hardlinking directories.. is it somehow possible to gain acces to all the backup files? viewing them on the ntfs drive they seem just to be empty files with 0 bytes... even the folders
i really need to get acces because there are photos i cant restore otherwise which are very important to me.

please, need help
nano91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:43 PM   #2
hobbbz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nano91 View Post
due to some issues with my external hard drive i used for the timemachine backup, i had to copy all files to another drive which is ntfs formated. now i have the backups directory but i cant acces any files. i read something about hardlinking directories.. is it somehow possible to gain acces to all the backup files? viewing them on the ntfs drive they seem just to be empty files with 0 bytes... even the folders
i really need to get acces because there are photos i cant restore otherwise which are very important to me.

please, need help
AFAIK NTFS never worked for Time Machine. It might work if you transfer the backups back to a HFS drive but it they be lost for good.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help