Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PacificRimJob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
My iPhone 5 backlight sometimes comes on very dim when I hit my home button. I have to lock it again and then unlock it for it to come on full brightness. It's random and it has happened several times now. I am probably going to take it in the Genius bar but was wondering if anyone else had similar problems with their 5?

Kal~El

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
I had this problem on my 64gb IP5 on sprint but since leaving sprint and getting the same phone but for verizon i have not had the problem.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
I have this problem on my 64 GB AT&T iPhone 5. It's completely random though, but it doesn't bother me at all. I mean, it doesn't happen enough for me to want to get it replaced yet.

PacificRimJob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
I have this problem on my 64 GB AT&T iPhone 5. It's completely random though, but it doesn't bother me at all. I mean, it doesn't happen enough for me to want to get it replaced yet.

I kinda feel that way too. I'm just afraid I'll go in tomorrow to get a replacement and it's worse off than the one I have.

Kal~El

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
I dont think the sprint or verizon or at&t version has anything to do with it.
Its a defect and you should bring it to Apple to have it replaced.

I know that it has nothing to do with the carrier but i was leaving sprint anyway so why bother having it replaced.
Bought the verizon Version and have not had a single problem with it not even the power button rattle the last one had.

Last edited:

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2012
I had an issue with auto brightness. But it reads the ambuint light around you. So if its sitting in your pocket a dark place and pull it out it didn't get a chance to read the light yet. I had to do a new restore with out doing an iCloud restore and it works fine. Verizon AT&T sprint mean nothing it's the phone not the carrier

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I know that it has nothing to do with the carrier but i was leaving sprint anyway so why bother having it replaced.
Bought the verizon Version and have not had a single problem with it not even the power button rattle the last one had.

Yes, glad the new one didnt have that issue.
Was just saying its not related to carrier version but most likelly just a hardware defect.

PacificRimJob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
I had an issue with auto brightness. But it reads the ambuint light around you. So if its sitting in your pocket a dark place and pull it out it didn't get a chance to read the light yet. I had to do a new restore with out doing an iCloud restore and it works fine. Verizon AT&T sprint mean nothing it's the phone not the carrier

This is exactly when it happens, right as I'm trying to bring it out of my pocket.

----------

It seems like it's quite a common problem and I would hate to replace my phone and get another one with an entirely different problem. I think I'll just stick with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.