Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:26 PM   #1
Bswartz95
macrumors 6502

GPS icon when waking up phone

I can kill every app and I still get the GPS icon when waking the phone up. It stays on for 5-10 seconds then goes away. I thought it was a bad app, but I haven't downloaded any new apps and it occurs even when I force close all apps. It has just started in the past day or two. Anyone else experience this? It cannot be good for battery life.

Verizon iPhone 5. Not jailbroken.
Bswartz95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:28 PM   #2
JAT
macrumors 603

You mean the Location arrow icon? Go to Location Services in Settings app to see what apps are using location. Then you can decide if it is a problem or not.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Bswartz95
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
You mean the Location arrow icon? Go to Location Services in Settings app to see what apps are using location. Then you can decide if it is a problem or not.
Yes, the location arrow. I've gone through and turned off the location for each app one by one, testing to see which service it was, but no luck. The only way to solve the problem is to turn location service off completely, which I really don't want to do.

----------

Found the culprit.

PASSBOOK! I knew that I didn't download or use a new app, but I did save something to Passbook.

Hopefully someone else can use this information to help them with battery life.
Bswartz95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:36 PM   #4
Menel
macrumors 601

Known behavior. Described in keynote, how the phone is going to know you are in a place to activate the lock screen shortcut...

Boarding pass if in airport.
Starbucks card when near your favorite.
Etc
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Baggio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bswartz95 View Post
Yes, the location arrow. I've gone through and turned off the location for each app one by one, testing to see which service it was, but no luck. The only way to solve the problem is to turn location service off completely, which I really don't want to do.

----------

Found the culprit.

PASSBOOK! I knew that I didn't download or use a new app, but I did save something to Passbook.

Hopefully someone else can use this information to help them with battery life.
Passbook does that so it launches your gift cards when you arrive, say at a Starbucks, so it is ready for use. I disabled that from location services.
Baggio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:49 PM   #6
JAT
macrumors 603

Geofencing won't take much battery.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone