Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Randyman94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
The Great Buckeye Nation
This will be my first post here since I joined after I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I'm a long time Windows user and I recently bought a 13" Macbook Pro with a SSD. In order to save space on that SSD, all of my iTunes files went onto my 3 TB external hard drive and I had my iTunes running on that. After awhile, to save myself the trouble of lugging out my hard drive every time I wanted to add something to my iTunes, I decided to put my Music and Apps on a 64GB flash drive since I use those the most. I also put the .xml file on my internal hard drive per advice I read.

At the moment I have it set up where I can only play the flash drives files when it's plugged in and the external's when it's plugged in which is what i'm after.

Now, no matter what device is plugged in (I can't plug in both at the same time) everytime I go into the advanced pane on the preferences, it says my media location is on my internal hard drive, which is where I do not want it. I have both the boxes under the advanced settings unchecked. So,

1. Is there anyway to set it so that if I were to import a CD, it'll know to send it to the flash drive if it's plugged or if I import a movie that it'll know to go to the external if that is plugged in?

2. I haven't synced anything with this new set up so is that going to be a problem? (I have movies, apps, and music on my iPad; apps on my iPhone; and music on my iPod.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.