Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Hi! I may acquire a classic Macintosh in the future, and would be interested in putting Linux on it? Has anybody here tried Linux on these Macs, such as this:

http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/

Also, does it take advantage of CISC?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi! I may acquire a classic Macintosh in the future, and would be interested in putting Linux on it? Has anybody here tried Linux on these Macs, such as this:

http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/

Also, does it take advantage of CISC?

"CISC" is a description of a class of CPU architectures. By definition any software that runs on a CISC type CPU "takes advantage of it". More technically speaking, Linux is built using the gcc compiler. Gcc is pretty good and will generate pretty good code on the 68K architecture

I wonder what you are going to do with Linux on such a low-end computer. It will run fine but if it will work for your intended use we can't say.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
"CISC" is a description of a class of CPU architectures. By definition any software that runs on a CISC type CPU "takes advantage of it". More technically speaking, Linux is built using the gcc compiler. Gcc is pretty good and will generate pretty good code on the 68K architecture

I wonder what you are going to do with Linux on such a low-end computer. It will run fine but if it will work for your intended use we can't say.

I'm acquiring a 68k Macintosh, I'm unsure of which model, and I don't have access to system floppies, so I was wondering if it was any better than experimental. I was mostly doing it to learn shell scripting and to use gcc and a couple other things that have to do with Linux.

EDIT: I just got an avatar :)!

Last edited:

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I had Debian 2.2 going on my Classic II a few years back. 16MHz 68030, 10MB RAM, 160MB HDD. It was a pretty slow, miserable experience. I remember having to leave it on and going overnight while it was installing. There's no way to boot Linux natively on an Old World ROM Macintosh - you need to start up the Mac OS, then start a loader that hands control over to Linux. It was a blast to do, and I'd totally recommend going for it if you want a good side project! Just don't expect to get the latest Ubuntu release going on it ;)

Attachments

• IM000743.JPG
    IM000743.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,545

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I had NetBSD on my SE/30 a few years ago. 128 MB RAM, 9 GB hard drive. Took forever to get it loaded on, but ran as a great little server for many years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.