Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
I've been using the iPhone 4 since Sept 2010, and while it was an amazing phone when I first got it, the OS is really starting to show it's age and I'm thinking of jumping to a different phone.

However I've held off changing to Android so far because the one thing that I really love about iPhones is how natural, fluid and responsive the OS is. When you scroll, swipe, pinch or tap anything on the iPhone, it really feels as if you're touching it and when you swipe or scroll, it moves naturally and mimics how a real object would behave. With Android, not so. It feels mechanical, laggy and not as responsive.

Now after reading more about the Lumia 920, I'm really tempted to get one myself. At first the lack of apps bothered me, but then I thought about it and I realized I haven't opened most of those apps apart from the first time I downloaded it anyway. The bigger size bothered me too at first, but I thought about it and I'm really sick of the iPhone's tiny screens where Apple can't cram more information into the screen otherwise it'd be way too tiny to read.

So really, the only thing that I'm worried about is the UI. From the videos I've seen, it does look responsive, fluid and smooth. However I haven't been able to test one out yet. Can anyone comment whether Windows 8 phones are as smooth as iOS?

Apart from that, is there anything else that you dislike about Window 8 phones?

Thanks. :)

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I've been using the iPhone 4 since Sept 2010, and while it was an amazing phone when I first got it, the OS is really starting to show it's age and I'm thinking of jumping to a different phone.

However I've held off changing to Android so far because the one thing that I really love about iPhones is how natural, fluid and responsive the OS is. When you scroll, swipe, pinch or tap anything on the iPhone, it really feels as if you're touching it and when you swipe or scroll, it moves naturally and mimics how a real object would behave. With Android, not so. It feels mechanical, laggy and not as responsive.

Now after reading more about the Lumia 920, I'm really tempted to get one myself. At first the lack of apps bothered me, but then I thought about it and I realized I haven't opened most of those apps apart from the first time I downloaded it anyway. The bigger size bothered me too at first, but I thought about it and I'm really sick of the iPhone's tiny screens where Apple can't cram more information into the screen otherwise it'd be way too tiny to read.

So really, the only thing that I'm worried about is the UI. From the videos I've seen, it does look responsive, fluid and smooth. However I haven't been able to test one out yet. Can anyone comment whether Windows 8 phones are as smooth as iOS?

Apart from that, is there anything else that you dislike about Window 8 phones?

Thanks. :)

Windows Phone 7.5 devices definitely feel on the same level as, or at least very close to, iOS devices, they're very fluid and responsive, so I'm assuming Windows Phone 8 devices should also feel the same. Definitely give one a good go before you purchase it, just to make sure you're 100% happy with how it feels.

Windows Phones also have the nice little touches that make iOS devices feel super responsive, like rubber-band scrolling and bounce back. I've tried Windows 8 (not WP8) on a few different devices now- a touch screen all-in-one, a tablet and a touch screen laptop and all were really fluid and touch response felt great- Microsoft have really done a good job of getting it right.

Ignore what anyone says about Jelly Bean eradicating the problem on Android (reviews and people on the Internet gushing over it were what tempted me into it), unless you try it yourself and are happy with how it feels. I'm definitely not, the problem is now less prominent, but it's still there. If you want to give Android a go (although it sounds like you don't want to and I would personally recommend that you don't bother, I found the whole experience incredibly disappointing), getting a Nexus 7 is the way to go- from a place with a good returns policy at least. It still has that clunky feeling that you described and if you value performance and responsiveness, it's not the way to go.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
In terms of fluidity and responsiveness, Windows Phone 8 is near equal to iOS.

You wont find any android-isms, if that is your concern.

The app situation will resolve itself with time, especially now that MSFT has brought 8 Pro, RT and Phone closer together.

The one glaring omission from Windows Phone is the lack of a notification center, which MSFT says is in the works but ran out of time for the fall release.

cypherpunks01

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2012
Sold my iphone 4s and received new htc x8 today (not a fan of heavy lumia). Some initial thoughts:

1. Unfortunate lack of good universal cloud solution like icloud that works great with macs.
2. UX could have been better if icons in apps had text below them **by default**. It’s hard to guess what’s every icon is for.
3. Windows phone syncer needs to be running every time you want to sync (itunes lauches automatically) and it’s not as polished as itunes. For example, I had some non-english songs, which syncer converted to songs with unreadable names.
4. Time for charging the phone is extremely long. It’s like two hours for from 5 to 25%.
5. It sits in hand not as good as iphone (4 / 5) even though I thought otherwise when used it first.
6. Multitasking sucks. For switching song, you need to press home, then go to music app, then switch music, then press home, then go to your app (and its state won’t save)

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If it is fluidity you want, it's as good as iOS. But there are some things missing. Apps, we already know about, but that is changing more rapidly than ever. Here are some things I miss.

* Inability to set individual text tone for different users
* No do not disturb
* No true backup - that is, I can't backup my apps to my computer for a quick restore. I can backup settings (which is iffy right now) and must re-download the apps from the store. This is basically how Apple does iCloud, but another annoying thing is that it doesn't save your tile configuration. You are basically stuck setting up the phone all over again the way you like it

Right now, that is all I can really think of...

----------

didn’t tried it yet, but skydrive isn’t as universal as icloud.

I meant something that will sync reminders, notes etc.

It does this on Windows phone, but not iOS (due to iOS's own restrictions)

MuffCabbage

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Sold my iphone 4s and received new htc x8 today (not a fan of heavy lumia). Some initial thoughts:

1. Unfortunate lack of good universal cloud solution like icloud that works great with macs.
2. UX could have been better if icons in apps had text below them **by default**. It’s hard to guess what’s every icon is for.
3. Windows phone syncer needs to be running every time you want to sync (itunes lauches automatically) and it’s not as polished as itunes. For example, I had some non-english songs, which syncer converted to songs with unreadable names.
4. Time for charging the phone is extremely long. It’s like two hours for from 5 to 25%.
5. It sits in hand not as good as iphone (4 / 5) even though I thought otherwise when used it first.
6. Multitasking sucks. For switching song, you need to press home, then go to music app, then switch music, then press home, then go to your app (and its state won’t save)

Two hours from 5% to 25%? Cant be normal. I havent heard anything about that; thats ridiculous if true. (Ive been watching the 8X for a while since Im probably getting it)

Switching a song should be pressing the volume up or down and then hitting next on the overlay right?

The iP5 is terrible in the hand compared to the 4, its way too tall and skinny and lacks grip so re positioning is terrible and holding while using is cramping. The 8X I can see being a bit tough too though since it has such tapered edges. I just think its impossible to compare it to BOTH the 4 and 5 since those are so different.

Im not trying to say these arent issues you've had but Id like some more clarification since I do intend to buy the phone.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Its as smooth as ios without a doubt. The UI is slick, you'd have no problems.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

Press and hold the back button. The app switcher will show up, and you can jump right back to music or whatever app you want.

It's definitely buttery smooth. Actually I'd go one more. Sometimes it's more buttery smooth than my girlfriends (admittedly very used and abused app-heavy and slow) 4s.

cypherpunks01

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2012
Two hours from 5% to 25%? Cant be normal. I havent heard anything about that; thats ridiculous if true. (Ive been watching the 8X for a while since Im probably getting it)
Well actually it’s not that bad. I just measured carefully: 57%-97% took 3h.

Switching a song should be pressing the volume up or down and then hitting next on the overlay right?
Right! thanks for the tip. nice

The iP5 is terrible in the hand compared to the 4, its way too tall and skinny and lacks grip so re positioning is terrible and holding while using is cramping. The 8X I can see being a bit tough too though since it has such tapered edges. I just think its impossible to compare it to BOTH the 4 and 5 since those are so different.
yep, maybe you’re right. It’s the matter of hands size. iphone 5 fits sort-of-okay there (not as good as 4 tho), but 8x requires second hand to be used most of the time. It’s not as comfortable to me as 5, because of width.

beyondthepale35

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
Will definitely be faster through an adapter, usb charging always takes forever since it cant dish out as much amperage.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
USB cable to my macbook. perhaps it will be faster when connected to power adapter

There is your issue. I find there is not enough power coming from my iMac even to charge these phones at any appreciable rate. I have yet to try it with USB 3.0 though. My Lumia 2920 charges from dead to full in just under two hours plugged in and, interestingly, slightly less than that when on the wireless charging pad.

That said, my Iphones never charged very fast plugged into a computer either, so speed while charging in this manner isn't a very good benchmark at all IMO.

cypherpunks01

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2012
I now charge it via power adapter and it’s super fast, thanks guys. I was just under the impression that usb charging should be fast, like my iphone charged fast.

So, after two days of usage, I think it's pretty cool device. One thing it lacks is dropbox app, though.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I now charge it via power adapter and it’s super fast, thanks guys. I was just under the impression that usb charging should be fast, like my iphone charged fast.

So, after two days of usage, I think it's pretty cool device. One thing it lacks is dropbox app, though.

The iPhone actually pulls more amperage than the average USB device, using some special Apple USB voodoo. AFAIK, it only works to fast-charge Apple i-devices.

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I had every iphone until the 5, currently have a Lumia 920.

Skydrive works fine for me on a PC and a Mac.

Here is my entire list of gripes:
-Since opening day, the phone did crash on me once. I had to get to another device to figure out how to reset it (volume down and power). It has not crashed again.
-There is something iffy with the photo sync process, I may have a setting I need to change, but last time I tried to get a photo off of the device, I could only see the photos that also synced the time before, no new ones.
-Not sure who/what is at fault about this, but the last few voicemails I have received have not recorded any audio, whatever the length of the message, it is just silence. I have received correct VMs on the phone, so I am not sure what is up.
-Every once in awhile, I have trouble navigating on a site, especially with dropdown menus

Other than that, I love the phone, and there is no way I am going back to iOS unless they make some big changes. To balance out the gripe menu, here is my superior to iOS list:
-Multiple inboxes. How I have waited for this. Works perfectly.
-Microsoft Office. No more editing something in quickoffice, sending it back out, and seeing several angry e-mails five minutes later. WYSIWYG editing and saving. I cannot explain how nice this is for me.
-The phone works, like for phone calls. I can hear callers, they can hear me, calls do not drop. This is a major improvement over iOS devices.
-Nokia maps and drive. 2.5GB download for the entire US offline. Free.
-Camera is nice, love the clarity, not thrilled about the 16x9ish ratio.
-UI within apps is smooth, consistent, fast, and nice.
-All but one of the productivity apps I used in iOS were available opening day.
-Screen is great.
-Live tiles are fine, looking forward to them maturing so it is possible to customize what they do more.
-Typing is fast
-The size and weight of the phone are almost perfect for me.
-Wireless charging is nice. AT&T sent me plates, not sure I would have bought them but since I was given them I find I am using them a good deal.

All in all, this is a far superior work tool, probably an inferior gaming device. Since I almost exclusively use my phone for work, I am very happy with it.

tcc1

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2013
is windows phone 8 mobile os considered lightweight compared to ios 6?

sure wp8 is as smooth/innoative as ios in all.the gdr2 update should fix somethings in wp8 also

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

sure wp8 is as smooth/innoative as ios in all.the gdr2 update should fix somethings in wp8 also

The biggest issue with Windows Phone is probably the App situation.

As an overall mobile OS, I think it's pretty good. Stability and performance are top notch. I still think the UI is grand looking as well.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
The main thing is the app gap, which is resolving itself

Other than that, the fact Nokia owns the WP8 market but they fragment their handsets by making them carrier exclusives. If you're on VZW and want a 1020, for example, you're assed out

Also, if you're on VZW and using WP8, VZW took away the ability to group text late last year for some unexplained reason. They suck

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
The main thing is the app gap, which is resolving itself

Other than that, the fact Nokia owns the WP8 market but they fragment their handsets by making them carrier exclusives. If you're on VZW and want a 1020, for example, you're assed out

Also, if you're on VZW and using WP8, VZW took away the ability to group text late last year for some unexplained reason. They suck

Totally agree with the carrier exclusives, I'm on Verizon and wouldn't mind a 1020. Verizon group texting is fixed with the gdr2 update.

----------

I wrote my review over here:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/29/4...ini-heaven-or-the-benefits-of-ditching-my-low

Going from low end Android to low end Windows Phone 8. Oh my gosh, it doesn't even compare. Internet Explorer just FLIES on this thing. Smooth, real smooth.

Good review. From what I gather Microsoft is trying get to be a big player in the low end market while they work to get WP8 on equal footing feature wise with iOS/Android with the 8.1 update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.