Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ourabmen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Hello and thanks in advance for the input. Here's the situation, I am going to to be adding a second phone for work. My company is moving away from Blackberry and moving to a stipend for our telecom assets.

I currently have an iPhone 4s for my personal phone, email, contacts, apps, etc. and have been carrying two phones for many years.

What I am curious about is what would you all suggest for a second phone: Android v. WP8? What phone (SGIII, Nokia 920, HTC 8X, Note II) ?

I will be using this for a company MS exchange account only for email. As far as usage and apps, I don't spend a heck of a lot of time surfing the web, rarely play games, and primarily use travel based apps (airline apps, weather apps, voice turn by turn, hotel apps etc) for work travel. Do to restrictions at work, I have no need or interest in cloud based storage for work docs ( forbidden by my employer).

I have no interest in the iPhone 5, not enough of an increase in screen size for reading email and MS office attachments vs. the 4s.

Net, net, I am looking for advice for a second phone with good battery life (my 4s sucks here) a good screen for reading email, texts, and good call quality.
Thanks in advance for the input.

OUrabmen

Last edited:

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
Hello and thanks in advance for the input. Here's the situation, I am going to to be adding a second phone for work. My company is moving away from Blackberry and moving to a stipend for our telecom assets.

I currently have an iPhone 4s for my personal phone, email, contacts, apps, etc. and have been carrying two phones for many years.

What I am curious about is what would you all suggest for a second phone: Android v. WP8? What phone (SGIII, Nokia 920, HTC 8X, Note II) ?

I will be suing this for a company MS exchange account only for email. As far as usage and apps, I don't spend a heck of a lot of time surfing the web, rarely play games, and primarily use travel based apps (airline apps, weather apps, voice turn by turn, hotel apps etc) for work travel. Do to restrictions at work, I have no need or interest in cloud based storage for work docs ( forbidden by my employer).

I have no interest in the iPhone 5, not enough of an increase in screen size for reading email and MS office attachments vs. the 4s.

Net, net, I am looking for advice for a second phone with good battery life (my 4s sucks here) a good screen for reading email, texts, and good call quality.
Thanks in advance for the input.

OUrabmen
You're going to sue a phone :eek:

I'd go with the Note 2 as well if the size isn't that big of a deal for you. The battery life is amazing and it's a very fast feature-packed phone. If the size does matter to you, I'd recommend the 920 because of its 4.5" screen size, and WP8.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Get a Nexus 4. Way cheaper than a Note 2 and more than good enough for your purposes.

Getting a Note 2 just for reading e-mail and browsing the web is overkill IMO. I wouldn't recommend a Nexus 4 if it wasn't so cheap, as it's also overkill, but you might as well get it :p

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Note II, I have an S3 and love it but there's something about the form factor of the Note II.

ourabmen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
I'm leaning hard towards the Note II, went to best buy and was surprised at how light it was, size was not crazy big to me. I am going to the AT&T store to play around with a 920 this week. Hope to pull the trigger by the end of the week. It just kills me that apple sat on its laurels with the five.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.