Sorry I just couldn't resist. This made my day

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20394725#20394725

Conclusion: L O L

Just epic.
iSensei is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:04 AM   #2
brand
macrumors 68040

My 25 month old daughter has an old 32GB iPhone 4 and she loves it. I loaded a lot of her movies on it. It does not have cellular service and I bought a kid friendly case for it. My experience is that iPhones and toddlers mix just fine when it is properly thought out and supervised.

The title should be more like "Irresponsible parents who let their toddlers play with their expensive electronic devices don't mix"
brand is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:10 AM   #3
iSensei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brand View Post
My 25 month old daughter has an old 32GB iPhone 4 and she loves it. I loaded a lot of her movies on it. It does not have cellular service and I bought a kid friendly case for it. My experience is that iPhones and toddlers mix just fine when it is properly thought out and supervised.

The title should be more like "Irresponsible parents who let their toddlers play with their expensive electronic devices don't mix"
Irresponsible indeed
iSensei is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:15 AM   #4
Rory Manton
macrumors regular

Or accidental, or unlucky, or just missed it in the 1001 other things to do whilst attempting to look after a toddler.

Irresponsible, I think not.

At least they haven't tried to screw a new phone out of the supplier over it!

"tiss pretty funny though.

Thanks for the help.
Rory Manton is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:33 AM   #5
bp1000
macrumors 65816

The op should have just given her the chocolate

My 4 year old loves her old iPhone - they mix very well and she really looks after it.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:24 AM   #6
Dragoro
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Giving at 25 month old an iphone falls into irresponsible parents category as well in my opinion.
Dragoro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:46 AM   #7
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030

Quote:

Did you even bother to read the linked article or were you too busy patting yourself on the back for your superlative parenting skills to be bothered with fact checking? There is no mention of anything irresponsible in the parenting department, other than the guys own admission to not leave HIS phone lying someplace within easy reach of his toddler.

Sheesh....story had nothing to do with parenting preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Manton View Post
Or accidental, or unlucky, or just missed it in the 1001 other things to do whilst attempting to look after a toddler.

Irresponsible, I think not.
At least some people actually read the post and drew a logical inference from same. Sanity prevails and restores my faith in the intellect of this community. Thank you!
ReallyBigFeet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:48 AM   #8
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Giving at 25 month old an iphone falls into irresponsible parents category as well in my opinion.
So might giving it to a 256 month old.
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:00 AM   #9
SlasherDuff
macrumors 6502a

This exact same thing haappened to a friend of mine a month agi. Clifsnotes is she fell asleep, her husband was in charge of watching the kids, and the 2 year old wandered off. He basically dunked her 4S in the toilet...

I hugged my 4S while quietly snickering to myself
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:46 AM   #10
lovetamarav
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Why? My 26 month old has an iPhone 4 and a 1st gen iPad. She uses the iPhone 4 in a fisher price apptivity case in the car or when we are at doctor's offices (she needs to go to the doctor frequently). iPad is used for a max of 30 minutes per day for learning activities on airplane mode so that she doesn't get online. She knows they are fragile and need to be taken care of carefully. I also keep them in kid friendly cases.
lovetamarav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:55 AM   #11
Leonard1818
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSensei View Post
Sorry I just couldn't resist. This made my day

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20394725#20394725

Conclusion: L O L

Just epic.
You obviously don't have children...
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:56 AM   #12
MadGoat
macrumors 65816

Giving any child a phone is irresponsible. Give them lego or something that actively captivates them, not a virtual babysitter that will only serve to dumb them down.

Whatever happened to real parenting?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:11 AM   #13
lovetamarav
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGoat View Post
Giving any child a phone is irresponsible. Give them lego or something that actively captivates them, not a virtual babysitter that will only serve to dumb them down.

Whatever happened to real parenting?
Do you have kids? Giving a rear facing toddler legos, puzzles, anything that fits in the mouth in a car is not responsible parenting. It's not like I could just reach back there and grab something if it became a problem. An electronic device in a case designed for kids, that allows her to learn colors, letters, etc. is much safer than letting her choke on a lego.

Legos also won't cut it for some kids when you have two nurses and a pediatric neurologist trying to pin your child down to start IV's and do medical tests on a regular basis. Don't be so quick to judge that every parent who hands their kid an iPhone, etc. are irresponsible people robbing their kids of developmental hands on play.
lovetamarav is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:19 AM   #14
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetamarav View Post
Do you have kids? Giving a rear facing toddler legos, puzzles, anything that fits in the mouth in a car is not responsible parenting. It's not like I could just reach back there and grab something if it became a problem. An electronic device in a case designed for kids, that allows her to learn colors, letters, etc. is much safer than letting her choke on a lego.

Legos also won't cut it for some kids when you have two nurses and a pediatric neurologist trying to pin your child down to start IV's and do medical tests on a regular basis. Don't be so quick to judge that every parent who hands their kid an iPhone, etc. are irresponsible people robbing their kids of developmental hands on play.
Perhaps it's all the flashy gadgets that have made them unable to sit still long enough to not need a phone while getting an IV or riding in a car. You can see it in adults as well. People can't be in public anymore without having their smart phone out. Social interaction is dwindling and we are passing it on to our kids in the form of gadgets and video games. I do not believe a kid should be spoon fed these things at that early of an age.

Also, no one was suggesting giving Legos to a child in a car.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:28 AM   #15
MadGoat
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetamarav View Post

Worried about them choking, give them a book. getting medical tests, don't delegate your responsibility to dumb little "smart phone". It's amazing, but before these smart devices came around, we survived and I would hazard a guess and say we were probably a lot better equiped to cope with more situations back then.

Apparently, many modern parents are absolutely irresponsible... Like when you see all those SUVs with the TV in the rear seat, or gameboys and iphones. Whatever happened to looking outside?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:33 AM   #16
swiftbmx
macrumors regular

Quote:
My 25 month old daughter....
You mean your 2 year old daughter? I know every extra month is a proud moment but you gotta draw the line somewhere.
swiftbmx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:35 AM   #17
MadGoat
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Perhaps it's all the flashy gadgets that have made them unable to sit still long enough to not need a phone while getting an IV or riding in a car. You can see it in adults as well. People can't be in public anymore without having their smart phone out. Social interaction is dwindling and we are passing it on to our kids in the form of gadgets and video games. I do not believe a kid should be spoon fed these things at that early of an age.

Also, no one was suggesting giving Legos to a child in a car.
You pretty much nailed my sentiment. When I was a kid in the 70's and 80's all I had was my bike and books. My bike took me places with all my friends and when the weather was horrible, my books took me places. or I'd go to a neighbours and we'd play.

There was lots of socializing as a child, we went in dirty places, got scratched up and got a crap ton of excersize. I watched TV maybe 30 minutes a day at tops.

On long drives I'd colour or sleep and take in the information that my parents would point out to me on the road. My parents interacted a lot with me and I did with them too.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:38 AM   #18
Johnnygogo
macrumors member

hahaha. thats a good story.
Johnnygogo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:42 AM   #19
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Whatever happened to looking outside?
Do you know how many day dreams I had looking outside imaging things going on just off the side of the road as we were driving?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:50 AM   #20
MadGoat
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Do you know how many day dreams I had looking outside imaging things going on just off the side of the road as we were driving?
Making up adventures in your head is so much better than being force fed all the stuff that come out of graphically intensive games.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:55 AM   #21
RenoG
macrumors 65816

Quote:
You pretty much nailed my sentiment. When I was a kid in the 70's and 80's all I had was my bike and books. My bike took me places with all my friends and when the weather was horrible, my books took me places. or I'd go to a neighbours and we'd play.

There was lots of socializing as a child, we went in dirty places, got scratched up and got a crap ton of excersize. I watched TV maybe 30 minutes a day at tops.

On long drives I'd colour or sleep and take in the information that my parents would point out to me on the road. My parents interacted a lot with me and I did with them too.
Same here....

The digital crap aint gonna kill a kid, but they surely will miss out on a lot. Instead of asking questions and learning from the answers from their parents hence developing and connecting and bonding with mom and dad in new enviorments i.e. road trips, they are glued to sponge bob and the likes and totally missing out on valuable moments in life that means soooo much to a childs devolpment.
RenoG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:37 AM   #22
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

I have a 4 year old granddaughter who I love and adore with a passion but even she is not allowed to play around with my iPhone 5 !!
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:12 PM   #23
iSensei
Banned

The biggest problem I see today as a result of the technology and the internet are people being very anti-social in the real world despite the so-called "social boom" (Facebook, Twitter). Everyone is staring at their phones texting and what not. Talking with Siri is nice and dandy but it doesn't replace a face to face conversation. What is even more annoying is meeting up with a "friend" you have on Facebook only to see him/her check his/her phone every 30 seconds. Read a damn book, teach your kid some social manners otherwise it will grow up and use the word "like" every other sentence.
No, I don't have kids thank God lol.
iSensei is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:26 PM   #24
iphone5att64
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSensei View Post
The biggest problem I see today as a result of the technology and the internet are people being very anti-social in the real world despite the so-called "social boom" (Facebook, Twitter). Everyone is staring at their phones texting and what not. Talking with Siri is nice and dandy but it doesn't replace a face to face conversation. What is even more annoying is meeting up with a "friend" you have on Facebook only to see him/her check his/her phone every 30 seconds. Read a damn book, teach your kid some social manners otherwise it will grow up and use the word "like" every other sentence.
No, I don't have kids thank God lol.
Face to face like FaceTime and like read iBooks.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:41 PM   #25
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone5att64 View Post
Face to face like FaceTime and like read iBooks.
Well played sir.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone