Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
My 25 month old daughter has an old 32GB iPhone 4 and she loves it. I loaded a lot of her movies on it. It does not have cellular service and I bought a kid friendly case for it. My experience is that iPhones and toddlers mix just fine when it is properly thought out and supervised.

The title should be more like "Irresponsible parents who let their toddlers play with their expensive electronic devices don't mix"

iSensei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
My 25 month old daughter has an old 32GB iPhone 4 and she loves it. I loaded a lot of her movies on it. It does not have cellular service and I bought a kid friendly case for it. My experience is that iPhones and toddlers mix just fine when it is properly thought out and supervised.

The title should be more like "Irresponsible parents who let their toddlers play with their expensive electronic devices don't mix"

Irresponsible indeed :p

Rory Manton

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2005
Yeovil Somerset
Or accidental, or unlucky, or just missed it in the 1001 other things to do whilst attempting to look after a toddler.:D

Irresponsible, I think not.:p

At least they haven't tried to screw a new phone out of the supplier over it!

"tiss pretty funny though.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
The op should have just given her the chocolate

My 4 year old loves her old iPhone - they mix very well and she really looks after it.

Dragoro

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2010

Giving at 25 month old an iphone falls into irresponsible parents category as well in my opinion.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010

Did you even bother to read the linked article or were you too busy patting yourself on the back for your superlative parenting skills to be bothered with fact checking? There is no mention of anything irresponsible in the parenting department, other than the guys own admission to not leave HIS phone lying someplace within easy reach of his toddler.

Sheesh....story had nothing to do with parenting preferences.

Or accidental, or unlucky, or just missed it in the 1001 other things to do whilst attempting to look after a toddler.:D

Irresponsible, I think not.:p

At least some people actually read the post and drew a logical inference from same. Sanity prevails and restores my faith in the intellect of this community. Thank you!

SlasherDuff

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2008
Gator Country
This exact same thing haappened to a friend of mine a month agi. Clifsnotes is she fell asleep, her husband was in charge of watching the kids, and the 2 year old wandered off. He basically dunked her 4S in the toilet...

I hugged my 4S while quietly snickering to myself :)

lovetamarav

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
Giving at 25 month old an iphone falls into irresponsible parents category as well in my opinion.

Why? My 26 month old has an iPhone 4 and a 1st gen iPad. She uses the iPhone 4 in a fisher price apptivity case in the car or when we are at doctor's offices (she needs to go to the doctor frequently). iPad is used for a max of 30 minutes per day for learning activities on airplane mode so that she doesn't get online. She knows they are fragile and need to be taken care of carefully. I also keep them in kid friendly cases.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Giving any child a phone is irresponsible. Give them lego or something that actively captivates them, not a virtual babysitter that will only serve to dumb them down.

Whatever happened to real parenting?

lovetamarav

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
Giving any child a phone is irresponsible. Give them lego or something that actively captivates them, not a virtual babysitter that will only serve to dumb them down.

Whatever happened to real parenting?

Do you have kids? Giving a rear facing toddler legos, puzzles, anything that fits in the mouth in a car is not responsible parenting. It's not like I could just reach back there and grab something if it became a problem. An electronic device in a case designed for kids, that allows her to learn colors, letters, etc. is much safer than letting her choke on a lego.

Legos also won't cut it for some kids when you have two nurses and a pediatric neurologist trying to pin your child down to start IV's and do medical tests on a regular basis. Don't be so quick to judge that every parent who hands their kid an iPhone, etc. are irresponsible people robbing their kids of developmental hands on play.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Do you have kids? Giving a rear facing toddler legos, puzzles, anything that fits in the mouth in a car is not responsible parenting. It's not like I could just reach back there and grab something if it became a problem. An electronic device in a case designed for kids, that allows her to learn colors, letters, etc. is much safer than letting her choke on a lego.

Legos also won't cut it for some kids when you have two nurses and a pediatric neurologist trying to pin your child down to start IV's and do medical tests on a regular basis. Don't be so quick to judge that every parent who hands their kid an iPhone, etc. are irresponsible people robbing their kids of developmental hands on play.

Perhaps it's all the flashy gadgets that have made them unable to sit still long enough to not need a phone while getting an IV or riding in a car. You can see it in adults as well. People can't be in public anymore without having their smart phone out. Social interaction is dwindling and we are passing it on to our kids in the form of gadgets and video games. I do not believe a kid should be spoon fed these things at that early of an age.

Also, no one was suggesting giving Legos to a child in a car.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada

Worried about them choking, give them a book. getting medical tests, don't delegate your responsibility to dumb little "smart phone". It's amazing, but before these smart devices came around, we survived and I would hazard a guess and say we were probably a lot better equiped to cope with more situations back then.

Apparently, many modern parents are absolutely irresponsible... Like when you see all those SUVs with the TV in the rear seat, or gameboys and iphones. Whatever happened to looking outside?

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Perhaps it's all the flashy gadgets that have made them unable to sit still long enough to not need a phone while getting an IV or riding in a car. You can see it in adults as well. People can't be in public anymore without having their smart phone out. Social interaction is dwindling and we are passing it on to our kids in the form of gadgets and video games. I do not believe a kid should be spoon fed these things at that early of an age.

Also, no one was suggesting giving Legos to a child in a car.

You pretty much nailed my sentiment. When I was a kid in the 70's and 80's all I had was my bike and books. My bike took me places with all my friends and when the weather was horrible, my books took me places. or I'd go to a neighbours and we'd play.

There was lots of socializing as a child, we went in dirty places, got scratched up and got a crap ton of excersize. I watched TV maybe 30 minutes a day at tops.

On long drives I'd colour or sleep and take in the information that my parents would point out to me on the road. My parents interacted a lot with me and I did with them too.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Do you know how many day dreams I had looking outside imaging things going on just off the side of the road as we were driving?

Making up adventures in your head is so much better than being force fed all the stuff that come out of graphically intensive games.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
You pretty much nailed my sentiment. When I was a kid in the 70's and 80's all I had was my bike and books. My bike took me places with all my friends and when the weather was horrible, my books took me places. or I'd go to a neighbours and we'd play.

There was lots of socializing as a child, we went in dirty places, got scratched up and got a crap ton of excersize. I watched TV maybe 30 minutes a day at tops.

On long drives I'd colour or sleep and take in the information that my parents would point out to me on the road. My parents interacted a lot with me and I did with them too.

Same here....

The digital crap aint gonna kill a kid, but they surely will miss out on a lot. Instead of asking questions and learning from the answers from their parents hence developing and connecting and bonding with mom and dad in new enviorments i.e. road trips, they are glued to sponge bob and the likes and totally missing out on valuable moments in life that means soooo much to a childs devolpment.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I have a 4 year old granddaughter who I love and adore with a passion but even she is not allowed to play around with my iPhone 5 !!

iSensei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
The biggest problem I see today as a result of the technology and the internet are people being very anti-social in the real world despite the so-called "social boom" (Facebook, Twitter). Everyone is staring at their phones texting and what not. Talking with Siri is nice and dandy but it doesn't replace a face to face conversation. What is even more annoying is meeting up with a "friend" you have on Facebook only to see him/her check his/her phone every 30 seconds. Read a damn book, teach your kid some social manners otherwise it will grow up and use the word "like" every other sentence.
No, I don't have kids thank God lol.

iphone5att64

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
The biggest problem I see today as a result of the technology and the internet are people being very anti-social in the real world despite the so-called "social boom" (Facebook, Twitter). Everyone is staring at their phones texting and what not. Talking with Siri is nice and dandy but it doesn't replace a face to face conversation. What is even more annoying is meeting up with a "friend" you have on Facebook only to see him/her check his/her phone every 30 seconds. Read a damn book, teach your kid some social manners otherwise it will grow up and use the word "like" every other sentence.
No, I don't have kids thank God lol.

Face to face like FaceTime and like read iBooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.