Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transphasic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
I read that the iPad 2 will not enjoy future enhancements to its OS; since the mini has the same chip, will it also not be able to be upgraded?

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
I read that the iPad 2 will not enjoy future enhancements to its OS; since the mini has the same chip, will it also not be able to be upgraded?

I'm not sure where you read that info, but unless it was from Apple I wouldn't believe it, for 3 reasons:

1. The iPad 2 sold (and is still selling) VERY well, so it is in a lot of households. Also, the iPad mini just came out and it too is selling very well (maybe too well sense I can't find one anywhere :mad:). It would be dumb for Apple to cut off their most popular iPads.

2. Apple has 4 devices that use the A5 and 512mb of ram. These are:

-iPad 2: sold and is still selling well

-iPad mini: selling very well

-iPhone 4S: sold so well it set records when it first launched

-iPod touch 5th gen: selling well

So once again, it would be very dumb for Apple to cut off a good majority of their iOS users.

3. The A5 is still a very powerful chip. In fact in graphical benchmarks, the A5 beat the iPad 3's A5X and the Tegra 3.

IMO the iPad mini (and other A5 based iOS devices) should continue to be supported for at least a couple more years.

That's the nice thing about iOS, it doesn't require a lot of power to run smoothly. I had a top of the line 1.2 GHZ 1gb of ram Android tablet and it still had problems running ice cream sandwich smoothly.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
They already cut iPad 2 off superficially omitting Siri.

But yes with 4 devices it will be good to go for a while I'd imagine.

Last edited:

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
They already cut iPad 2 off superficially omitting Siri.

But yes with 4 devices it will be good to go for a while I'd imagine.

Siri available for both mini and touch 5 with same spec as Ipad 2, I think its just something to persuade people to buy new launches. Fine!!, siri seems like a useless assistant for me anyway.

Still Ipad 2 shelf life is now 1 years and 6 months + which is a year more than Ipad 3 so I dont think it is going anywhere yet. People are still have mix perception about Ipad 4 so Ipad 2 is still the best selling Ipad up to date.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Siri available for both mini and touch 5 with same spec as Ipad 2, I think its just something to persuade people to buy new launches. Fine!!, siri seems like a useless assistant for me anyway.

Still Ipad 2 shelf life is now 1 years and 6 months + which is a year more than Ipad 3 so I dont think it is going anywhere yet. People are still have mix perception about Ipad 4 so Ipad 2 is still the best selling Ipad up to date.

What is the "mixed perception" about the iPad 4?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.