Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harlanismad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Okay, I got the iPhone 3gs free with my plan on AT&T and it worked fine for a month. I dropped it and cracked the screen, voiding any insurance claims. The 3 weeks later, I went to install iOS6 and it failed.:mad::apple: Then i get the plug into iTunes symbol. It wouldnt turn on:confused:, they wouldnt give me a new phone, and i feel i did nothing to deserve the flip phone they told me to use until i buy a new phone. So I tried to restore it Using all the tutorials i've seen about using Tinyumbrella and redsnow to put another operating system on it, or "downgrade". But since i didnt ANTICIPATE losing my OS, i never saved and SHSH files. so I've tried everything possible and maybe someone out there can help me with this. I knew i should have stayed with android.:cool: But anyway. Ive tried everything and i get nowhere. So someone please throw some information at me. :mad::apple::mad::apple::mad::apple:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Did you open it and try to fix the screen or anything or you were using it with a cracked screen?
Offcourse if you bring it in with a broken screen they wont replace it for free.
You damaged it by dropping it.
They do offer a replacement for $150 if that interests you.
If not find a place that will fix the screen cheaper.

Harlanismad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
It didnt break by dropping. The screen did. It worked for weeks after it cracked. But then the OS stopped working after iOS 6 failed.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
That's why they wont replace it for free, cause its cracked.
Only option is to pay to have it replaced at a repair shop or bring it to Apple and have them give you a replacement for $150.
Up to you.

brun019822

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2006
It didnt break by dropping. The screen did. It worked for weeks after it cracked. But then the OS stopped working after iOS 6 failed.

take it to a apple store im 80% sure they will replace it. its a software problem not caused by the drop. the same thing happened to my 3gs and I had a crack on the screen I took it to apple and they replaced it.

Harlanismad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
So there's no way to put an operating system on it? Im sure if theres a will theres a way.

brun019822

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2006
it happened to me along time ago. if I recall correctly it happened when the iphone 4 came out. so I dont think it has anything to do with ios 6 . its some thing do with the files getting corrupted.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Okay, I got the iPhone 3gs free with my plan on AT&T and it worked fine for a month. I dropped it and cracked the screen, voiding any insurance claims. The 3 weeks later, I went to install iOS6 and it failed.:mad::apple: Then i get the plug into iTunes symbol. It wouldnt turn on:confused:, they wouldnt give me a new phone, and i feel i did nothing to deserve the flip phone they told me to use until i buy a new phone. So I tried to restore it Using all the tutorials i've seen about using Tinyumbrella and redsnow to put another operating system on it, or "downgrade". But since i didnt ANTICIPATE losing my OS, i never saved and SHSH files. so I've tried everything possible and maybe someone out there can help me with this. I knew i should have stayed with android.:cool: But anyway. Ive tried everything and i get nowhere. So someone please throw some information at me. :mad::apple::mad::apple::mad::apple:

You got your phone for free ... you dropped it and it broke as a result.

Likely the impact didn't directly kill the phone right away, but surely it being open to the environment may have allowed anything to get in or further damage the internals.

Harlanismad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
It worked fine until It said to update the OS. I just did the update and it malfunctioned. Its happened to many iPhone 3gs'. It tells me to restore it. Okay fine, latest iTunes, plugged it in, 8 hours later, no progress. :mad:

Harlanismad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
I put it in DFU mode and tried it. It Got a little farther. But it says its preparing the iphone for restore. Then It verifies it with apple, then it says waiting for iphone. And nothing happens... But it was working perfectly fine with 4.1.. until i plugged it in.

Harlanismad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
I edited my host file to allow it. It gets past the verifying, it just wants to call upon the phone and it has no idea what to do.

Harlanismad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
It never gets to the end. I've never allowed it to do whatever its trying to do for over 8 hours.... But ive tried using previous version installed and gotten codes like 28, and 3195 or something like that. I was really just posting to see if anybody had put a custom operating system on.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
It never gets to the end. I've never allowed it to do whatever its trying to do for over 8 hours.... But ive tried using previous version installed and gotten codes like 28, and 3195 or something like that. I was really just posting to see if anybody had put a custom operating system on.

Dont try installing previous older firmware versions.
Apple is not signing anything but 4.1 and 6.0.1 for the iphone 3GS.
So that's why it wont restore to anything older your tried.
Let it go overnight by clicking restore and let itunes download the latest firmware for you and see how it goes.

binoyjjohn

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
Iphone 3gs restore

Hey Harlan,

Dont panic. I have a 3gs. It was running on ios5.1. I decided to make the biggest mistake in my life...to migrate to ios6. Apple had not optimised the software for 3gs, so we have a lot of bugs. I am pretty sure that apple is not going to help the 3gs followers.

Unfortunately, i had never jailbroken my device, so had not saved the shsh blobs.

You need to have Redsnow latest version, tiny umbrella and the ios restore.
Now use tinyumbrella to save your shsh (look for the options in the window. If you have not jailbroken your phone, unclick 'save shsh from Cydia', then tinyumbrella will scan for shsh from Apple. Apple is signing two OS for 3gs now. Its 4.1 and 6.01. Save both (there is a button in the interface for saving) If you dont like ios6, you can restore to ios4.1. Anyway, tinyumbrella will save both shsh for ios4.1 and 6.01)

Now this is what you do.
ios4.1 and itunes 10 are not compatible. You need itunes9. Download itunes 9, and install it. You will lose all backups and some apps if you downgrade to 4.1, but you iphone will be up and running.
After installing itunes 9. Just plug in your iphone 3gs. Then restore through itunes. If it does not help. Try using redsnow again and follow the restore procedure. Your iphone will start in a jiffy to the good old 4.1 :). You can come back to ios6 anytime you want later.

My 3gs was running on 5.1. I upgraded to 6.01. Now running on 4.1 :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.