Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:50 AM   #1
Awakener
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Will iPad Mini/2 Keep App Store Dumbed Down?

All iPads are very usable, but iPad 4 has A6X, quad-core graphics, and 1GB RAM.

Question: Will Apple allow app developers to take advantage of these specs, or will Apple keep the App Store dumbed down because of iPad Mini/2 (even iPad3) to avoid fragmentation?
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:04 AM   #2
haruhiko
macrumors 68030
 
haruhiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
It's up to the developers. Apple has all the tools available for the developers, it's up to them to implement it. How do they implement it is a commercial decision But I can see tangible improvement on the 4 from the 3, even on "simpler" games like Bejeweled HD. The 3 used to be hot when playing this game and "explosion" is sometimes laggy. Now the 4 just runs the game easily without lagging nor heating up.
__________________
rMBP'12 15" 2.3GHz, iPad Air 2 LTE 64GB, iPhone 6 Plus Space Grey 128GB
iMac'08/24",Mini'09,MBP'10/15",MBA'11/13". iPhone 5s,5,4S,4,3GS. iPT: 3,1. iPad: Air,4,3,2,1,Mini2. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09,TC'13.

Last edited by haruhiko; Nov 26, 2012 at 03:09 AM.
haruhiko is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:12 AM   #3
Awakener
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
It's not completely up to the developers. Apple has control over App Store content.
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:14 AM   #4
haruhiko
macrumors 68030
 
haruhiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
It's not completely up to the developers. Apple has control over App Store content.
The developers can choose to implement different levels of details etc. on different devices. They will always provide a version that works well on the mini and iPad 2, but they can also bundle a better retina version of the game inside the same package for iPad 3/4. They can even choose to give more details on the iPad 4 than the 3. This is what I meant by up to the developers.
__________________
rMBP'12 15" 2.3GHz, iPad Air 2 LTE 64GB, iPhone 6 Plus Space Grey 128GB
iMac'08/24",Mini'09,MBP'10/15",MBA'11/13". iPhone 5s,5,4S,4,3GS. iPT: 3,1. iPad: Air,4,3,2,1,Mini2. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09,TC'13.
haruhiko is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:15 AM   #5
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Um. What?
hyteckit is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:26 AM   #6
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Developers can make their games exclusive to the latest devices.

It's happened quite a few times over the years.
__________________
2.4 Alu Macbook 2GB 250GB
jabingla2810 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:11 AM   #7
reputationZed
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 3455′42″N 8044′41″W (34.928201, -80.744835)
I can't see Apple not allowing devs to target the A6 rather than the A5. Most devs however, I would think, would target the platform with the larger user base which in this case would be the A5
reputationZed is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:36 AM   #8
Menel
macrumors 601
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
All iPads are very usable, but iPad 4 has A6X, quad-core graphics, and 1GB RAM.

Question: Will Apple allow app developers to take advantage of these specs, or will Apple keep the App Store dumbed down because of iPad Mini/2 (even iPad3) to avoid fragmentation?
Developers can target and choose which devices have compatibility, but they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

Only a dev who charges (wants money) but targets the tiny market of restricting sales to iPad 4 users only (doesn't want money) will do that. And it makes no sense.
__________________
iPhone 6 iPad Air Mac mini (2011)
Menel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Awakener
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
End result is the same whether developers limit app ability or Apple does it.
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:21 PM   #10
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
End result is the same whether developer limit app ability or Apple does it.
Surely you can see a difference between which devices a developer chooses to program for and an overarching rule that Apple has. The 3GS was available for sale while the 4S was the newest phone; I never felt that iPhone apps were dumbed down because of it.

Getting back to your original question, do you have any evidence that Apple told developer they can't target the iPad 4, which only just came out, because they want them to also target the Mini? I've come across plenty of game which don't support older hardware, but what usually happens is that the same game can support he different levels of hardware.
__________________
128 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:42 PM   #11
Awakener
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
Surely you can see a difference between which devices a developer chooses to program for and an overarching rule that Apple has. The 3GS was available for sale while the 4S was the newest phone; I never felt that iPhone apps were dumbed down because of it.

Getting back to your original question, do you have any evidence that Apple told developer they can't target the iPad 4, which only just came out, because they want them to also target the Mini? I've come across plenty of game which don't support older hardware, but what usually happens is that the same game can support he different levels of hardware.
It was just a question, not an announcement. But the gap between specs has widened a lot, so how much work will developers do for iPad 4 vs iPad Mini/2, and how much fragmentation will Apple be comfortable with?
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:54 PM   #12
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
It was just a question, not an announcement. But the gap between specs has widened a lot, so how much work will developers do for iPad 4 vs iPad Mini/2, and how much fragmentation will Apple be comfortable with?
"It's not completely up to the developers. Apple has control over App Store content. "

"End result is the same whether developers limit app ability or Apple does it. "

These are statements, not questions.

If you are wanting apps to only run on the iPad 4, you're going to be out of luck. No dev will target such a small number of devices.

Most smart devs program their apps to take advantage of different levels of hardware. Djay, for example, had one or two features which worked on the iPad 2, but not the iPad 1. So just because an app runs on an iPad 2 doesn't mean it doesn't run better on an iPad 4.
__________________
128 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:43 PM   #13
Awakener
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
So just because an app runs on an iPad 2 doesn't mean it doesn't run better on an iPad 4.
That's where the questions come in. Most iPad 4 users would like to see apps that iPad Mini, iPad 2 and even iPad 3 couldn't handle.

Last edited by Awakener; Nov 27, 2012 at 06:34 PM.
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Any way to turn off app store indication for app updates on jailbroken ipad mini? Boulware28 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 7 Oct 18, 2013 07:33 PM
no updates page on the App Store App for iPad Mini PennCentralFan iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 4 Aug 15, 2013 01:02 PM
App Store works on iPhone 5 running beta 2, but iPad mini can't connect to App Store Jimmie Geddes iOS 7 1 Jul 6, 2013 01:39 AM
iPad Mini: iPad Mini & App store password dojoman iPad 6 Jan 11, 2013 04:14 PM
App Store blocked for my iPad mini Novim iPad Apps 5 Jan 4, 2013 07:47 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC