Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helios16v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Earth
My friend just bought a new non-iDevice and he's giving his old iPhone 4 to his father, of which he would like to restore his phone back to factory iOS 5.1.1

His phone is currently on 5.1.1 and he has it jailbroken. We tried going into Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings but no avail. We tried restoring the iPhone to iOS 5.1.1 on his MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8.2 with iTunes 10.7 only to get Error 1600 which almost expected because iOS 5.1.1 is no longer signed with Apple for activation.

We followed the iOS 6.0 to 5.1.1 downgrade method by using Rensn0w 0.9.14b2 to create our own custom restore using his saved 5.1.1 SHSH BLOB, we put the iPhone into Pwn DFU mode and still managed to get Error 1600.

We then figured this method is probably designed to be used from an iPhone on iOS 6.0, at this point we decided to use his MacBook (as we've altered the host file on his currect MacBook Pro). His MacBook is running OS X 10.6.8 and iTunes 10.7, we put the iPhone into DFU mode and tried to restore to iOS 6.0 only to get an error telling us The iPhone not eligible for requested build.

I'm really at a loss here, we just spent the last 3 hours trying to do this and we can't even upgrade this iPhone to iOS 6 let alone restore it, it's stuck on iOS 5.1.1 with all of his information and no way to restore.

Any ideas?

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
If his blobs are saved via cydia, use Tiny Umbrella and retrieve them and then make your custom firmware.

Try running Tiny Umbrella and "kill" iTunes from trying to connect to the Apple server.

Have you tried directing the host file to Saurik's server?

helios16v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Earth
If his blobs are saved via cydia, use Tiny Umbrella and retrieve them and then make your custom firmware.
We used the stitch function on Redsn0w 0.9.14b2 to stitch the 5.1.1 ipsw with the 5.1.1 SHSH Blob that was backed up on the Cydia server to make our custom ipsw but it didn't work even when we were in Pwn DFU mode like a few tutorials suggested, we still got error 1600.

Try running Tiny Umbrella and "kill" iTunes from trying to connect to the Apple server.
We edited the hosts file manually to do this, that's why we switched over to the untouched MacBook running OS X 10.6.8 so we could update properly to an untouched iOS 6.0

Updating to iOS 6.0 will not work on either OS X 10.6.8 MacBook on iTunes 10.7 with untouched host files, as well as the OS X 10.8.2 MacBook Pro on iTunes 10.7 and blocked host files.

Apple support site suggested that the error telling us the iPhone not being eligible for requested build is a result of iTunes being blocked with the hosts file which is why we moved over to the untouched OS X 10.6.8 MacBook

braxton34

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Are you trying to update to 6.0 ?
Because 6.0.1 is the latest iOS, which may explain the error.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Use redsn0w 0915b3

Download the ios you want to restore
Connect phone
In redsn0w go to extras/even more/restore

Select your ipsw
Select remote blobs and follow instructions

The host file must point to apple
Type in gs.apple.com in your browser on your mac, it should go to an apple site.

For 6.01 put phone in DFU and hit restore in itunes

pedromagico

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
São Paulo
I just bought an IPHONE 4S 5.1 (9b179) 64gb.

What should I do?
I mean.. I have no blobs or anything.. Can't downgrade nor update ..

Any information will be very very helpful!

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I just bought an IPHONE 4S 5.1 (9b179) 64gb.

What should I do?
I mean.. I have no blobs or anything.. Can't downgrade nor update ..

Any information will be very very helpful!

If you don't have any SHSH blobs than it's impossible to downgrade. Is your iPhone 4S jailbroken? That might be the problem. I'd try a restore.

----------

My friend just bought a new non-iDevice and he's giving his old iPhone 4 to his father, of which he would like to restore his phone back to factory iOS 5.1.1

His phone is currently on 5.1.1 and he has it jailbroken. We tried going into Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings but no avail. We tried restoring the iPhone to iOS 5.1.1 on his MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8.2 with iTunes 10.7 only to get Error 1600 which almost expected because iOS 5.1.1 is no longer signed with Apple for activation.

We followed the iOS 6.0 to 5.1.1 downgrade method by using Rensn0w 0.9.14b2 to create our own custom restore using his saved 5.1.1 SHSH BLOB, we put the iPhone into Pwn DFU mode and still managed to get Error 1600.

We then figured this method is probably designed to be used from an iPhone on iOS 6.0, at this point we decided to use his MacBook (as we've altered the host file on his currect MacBook Pro). His MacBook is running OS X 10.6.8 and iTunes 10.7, we put the iPhone into DFU mode and tried to restore to iOS 6.0 only to get an error telling us The iPhone not eligible for requested build.

I'm really at a loss here, we just spent the last 3 hours trying to do this and we can't even upgrade this iPhone to iOS 6 let alone restore it, it's stuck on iOS 5.1.1 with all of his information and no way to restore.

Any ideas?

Ugh, I hate error 1600. I watched this video to downgrade my iPhone 4, it may help. I know you're not on iOS 6 but it may help you with 5.1.1

pedromagico

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
São Paulo
Thanks for the anwser, AppleFanatic10!

But as I said, I just bought it (got it yesterday).
I had an iPhone 4S before and it was jailbreaked and everything but unfortunatly it was stolen!

If I do an Restore it'll install the IOS6 and that's not quite a good idea, isn't it?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

I had an iPhone 4S before and it was jailbreaked and everything but unfortunatly it was stolen!

If I do an Restore it'll install the IOS6 and that's not quite a good idea, isn't it?

You got no option besides stay on 5.1 or update to 6.0.1
What are your intentions anyway?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
That depends on what your objective is.
You cannot upgrade to any firmware but 6.0.1 unless the former owner saved hash files (TinyUmbrella to check)
You cannot jailbreak on 5.1 and never will be able to do so.
Since you will be waiting for a jailbreak regardless, you may just wish to enjoy the newest firmware while waiting.

pedromagico

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
São Paulo
Ok guys, thanks for the help!

Guess I'll stay with my 5.1 version and wait for a ios6 jailbreak, right?
(I dont see any reason to update do ios6.)

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Ok guys, thanks for the help!

Guess I'll stay with my 5.1 version and wait for a ios6 jailbreak, right?
(I dont see any reason to update do ios6.)

well other than.. apple pushing out ios 6.1 and IF 6.1 happen to close the exploits used for ios 6.0/0.1 JB.

then you would only be able to update to 6.1.. and miss the 6.0/.01 JB

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Bonsai:D
miyagi-fly.jpg

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

AH! Sorry didn't read that you just bought it lol. Yes, if you do a restore then you'd have no choice but to upgrade to iOS6. And isn't the jailbreak for 5.1.1 the same for 5.1?

pedromagico

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
São Paulo
Amazingly Absinthe only jailbreaks 5.1.1 and not 5.1 (quite bad, isn't it?)

Guess Ill save my SHSH thing and then update to ios6 and then save it too!

Whaddya guys think?

jinx1000

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
I don't think there's an exploit yet to take advantage of the 6.0.1 blobs. Might be worth upgrading just in case. A jailbreak doesn't guarantee being able to upgrade to 6.0.1 if apple stops signing it even if you have the blobs.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Blobs for 5.1 can't be saved anymore.
You can save your 6.01 SHSH while on 5.1

Once you upgrade to 6.01 you'l be stuck there on a 4S

pedromagico

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
São Paulo
Guys, I'm quite new in this SHSH and Blobs (bobs?lol) thing!

What do you mean by:
"You can save your 6.01 SHSH while on 5.1"

How do I do that?
I have the last version of RedSn0w and Absinthe here.

Thanks! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.