Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:37 AM   #1
normalphone
macrumors newbie

help - activating verizon iphone 5

Hi,
I'm buying from Ebay a sealed iphone 5 of verizon.

Do you know if should expect any problem activating it?
I don't need to verizon line, I want to use an at&t sim card as all verizon's iphone 5 are unlock.

Should i expect any problem in the itunes activation of the iphone 5?
(Dont need/want verizon to activate any line)

will I need something like the verizon sim card or it will activate with any sim card?
normalphone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:54 AM   #2
marcelo4527
macrumors member

I got my Verizon iPhone 5 from best buy, and it came with a Verizon sim card although I don't have a contract or anything with Verizon..
With the iPhone 5 you don't need to connect to iTunes to activate, since mine had a sim card in it, as soon as I turned on it said activated and yes I believe you can activate with any sim card since it comes factory unlocked
marcelo4527 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:53 AM   #3
o0jelly0o
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelo4527 View Post
I got my Verizon iPhone 5 from best buy, and it came with a Verizon sim card although I don't have a contract or anything with Verizon..
With the iPhone 5 you don't need to connect to iTunes to activate, since mine had a sim card in it, as soon as I turned on it said activated and yes I believe you can activate with any sim card since it comes factory unlocked
I just purchased a no contract full priced Verizon iPhone 5 at Walmart last night, I went through the normal activation setup on the phone but it will not activate, it keeps constantly popping up the annoying message: 'iPhone not activated' I have no contract with Verizon and I don't want one at all, I simply want the iPhone to stop sending that alert message, and I want to use it as an iPod essentially until I decide if I want straight talk or not. Can anyone help please?
o0jelly0o is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:02 AM   #4
max5peru
macrumors member

Have you tried making a full restore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0jelly0o View Post
I just purchased a no contract full priced Verizon iPhone 5 at Walmart last night, I went through the normal activation setup on the phone but it will not activate, it keeps constantly popping up the annoying message: 'iPhone not activated' I have no contract with Verizon and I don't want one at all, I simply want the iPhone to stop sending that alert message, and I want to use it as an iPod essentially until I decide if I want straight talk or not. Can anyone help please?
max5peru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:34 AM   #5
o0jelly0o
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by max5peru View Post
Have you tried making a full restore?
Yes multiple times, took the SIM card out and put it back in etc. it just keeps popping that message up. It is so annoying. I just want an iPhone with no service right now, until I decide to get Straight Talk.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:59 AM   #6
max5peru
macrumors member

I bought a full price iPhone 5 from ATT at best buy.
The phone is coming to my country in two days.
ATT accepted my unlock request and I told them that I dont have a line with them. When I asked them about the activation, they told me that I wont need to do that because the phone is unlocked. Can't wait to try it. I have been very worried about that... so why dont you call verizon and ask them to unlock? otherwise, go to walmart and ask them to help you.
Have you tried using another SIM? (a non verizon one)

Quote:
Yes multiple times, took the SIM card out and put it back in etc. it just keeps popping that message up. It is so annoying. I just want an iPhone with no service right now, until I decide to get Straight Talk.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:04 AM   #7
o0jelly0o
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by max5peru View Post
I bought a full price iPhone 5 from ATT at best buy.
The phone is coming to my country in two days.
ATT accepted my unlock request and I told them that I dont have a line with them. When I asked them about the activation, they told me that I wont need to do that because the phone is unlocked. Can't wait to try it. I have been very worried about that... so why dont you call verizon and ask them to unlock? otherwise, go to walmart and ask them to help you.
Have you tried using another SIM? (a non verizon one)
Yeah I called verizon but they said they couldn't do it or something to that affect. I'll have to try Walmart back today or I'll just trade it for an AT&T one, and do what you did because I know AT&T offers free unlocks. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:37 AM   #8
max5peru
macrumors member

Keep us updated!
Good luck!

Quote:
Yeah I called verizon but they said they couldn't do it or something to that affect. I'll have to try Walmart back today or I'll just trade it for an AT&T one, and do what you did because I know AT&T offers free unlocks. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:13 AM   #9
eastercat
macrumors 68040

You need to put an active sim in there. When you do, the pop up will go away.
Quote:
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:51 PM   #10
marcelo4527
macrumors member

Quote:
Try putting an active sim card from at&t or t-mobile or any other carrier and see if it works
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:32 PM   #11
o0jelly0o
Banned

Quote:
Try putting an active sim card from at&t or t-mobile or any other carrier and see if it works
I don't have any active sim currently, I don't want verizon service either, there is a verizon sim in the phone but I bought it full price without a contract. I simply want it to function with no service and no pop up until I get straight talk, if that is possible.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:36 PM   #12
marcelo4527
macrumors member

Quote:
I don't have any active sim currently, I don't want verizon service either, there is a verizon sim in the phone but I bought it full price without a contract. I simply want it to function with no service and no pop up until I get straight talk, if that is possible.
I got mine with no contract from verizon, and like you I don't want verizon service, but when I turned the iPhone on, it said activated!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:48 PM   #13
o0jelly0o
Banned

Quote:
I got mine with no contract from verizon, and like you I don't want verizon service, but when I turned the iPhone on, it said activated!
Hmm, maybe there is a problem with mine or possibly the SIM that came in it. Or maybe they activated yours at the store? I bought mine at Walmart so they didn't do anything but hand it to me.

Last edited by o0jelly0o; Nov 26, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:23 PM   #14
marcelo4527
macrumors member

Quote:
Hmm, maybe there is a problem with mine or possibly the SIM that came in it. Or maybe they activated yours at the store? I bought mine at Walmart so they didn't do anything but hand it to me.
They just handed to me too, it came sealed and I opened when i got home

strangely it shows signal and 3G with the verizon sim although i don't have anything to do with verizon

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone