Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:37 AM   #1
normalphone
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
help - activating verizon iphone 5

Hi,
I'm buying from Ebay a sealed iphone 5 of verizon.

Do you know if should expect any problem activating it?
I don't need to verizon line, I want to use an at&t sim card as all verizon's iphone 5 are unlock.

Should i expect any problem in the itunes activation of the iphone 5?
(Dont need/want verizon to activate any line)

will I need something like the verizon sim card or it will activate with any sim card?
normalphone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:54 AM   #2
marcelo4527
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I got my Verizon iPhone 5 from best buy, and it came with a Verizon sim card although I don't have a contract or anything with Verizon..
With the iPhone 5 you don't need to connect to iTunes to activate, since mine had a sim card in it, as soon as I turned on it said activated and yes I believe you can activate with any sim card since it comes factory unlocked
marcelo4527 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:53 AM   #3
o0jelly0o
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelo4527 View Post
I got my Verizon iPhone 5 from best buy, and it came with a Verizon sim card although I don't have a contract or anything with Verizon..
With the iPhone 5 you don't need to connect to iTunes to activate, since mine had a sim card in it, as soon as I turned on it said activated and yes I believe you can activate with any sim card since it comes factory unlocked
I just purchased a no contract full priced Verizon iPhone 5 at Walmart last night, I went through the normal activation setup on the phone but it will not activate, it keeps constantly popping up the annoying message: 'iPhone not activated' I have no contract with Verizon and I don't want one at all, I simply want the iPhone to stop sending that alert message, and I want to use it as an iPod essentially until I decide if I want straight talk or not. Can anyone help please?
o0jelly0o is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:02 AM   #4
max5peru
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Peru
Have you tried making a full restore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0jelly0o View Post
I just purchased a no contract full priced Verizon iPhone 5 at Walmart last night, I went through the normal activation setup on the phone but it will not activate, it keeps constantly popping up the annoying message: 'iPhone not activated' I have no contract with Verizon and I don't want one at all, I simply want the iPhone to stop sending that alert message, and I want to use it as an iPod essentially until I decide if I want straight talk or not. Can anyone help please?
max5peru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:34 AM   #5
o0jelly0o
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by max5peru View Post
Have you tried making a full restore?
Yes multiple times, took the SIM card out and put it back in etc. it just keeps popping that message up. It is so annoying. I just want an iPhone with no service right now, until I decide to get Straight Talk.
o0jelly0o is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:59 AM   #6
max5peru
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Peru
I bought a full price iPhone 5 from ATT at best buy.
The phone is coming to my country in two days.
ATT accepted my unlock request and I told them that I dont have a line with them. When I asked them about the activation, they told me that I wont need to do that because the phone is unlocked. Can't wait to try it. I have been very worried about that... so why dont you call verizon and ask them to unlock? otherwise, go to walmart and ask them to help you.
Have you tried using another SIM? (a non verizon one)


Quote:
Originally Posted by o0jelly0o View Post
Yes multiple times, took the SIM card out and put it back in etc. it just keeps popping that message up. It is so annoying. I just want an iPhone with no service right now, until I decide to get Straight Talk.
max5peru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:04 AM   #7
o0jelly0o
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by max5peru View Post
I bought a full price iPhone 5 from ATT at best buy.
The phone is coming to my country in two days.
ATT accepted my unlock request and I told them that I dont have a line with them. When I asked them about the activation, they told me that I wont need to do that because the phone is unlocked. Can't wait to try it. I have been very worried about that... so why dont you call verizon and ask them to unlock? otherwise, go to walmart and ask them to help you.
Have you tried using another SIM? (a non verizon one)
Yeah I called verizon but they said they couldn't do it or something to that affect. I'll have to try Walmart back today or I'll just trade it for an AT&T one, and do what you did because I know AT&T offers free unlocks. Thanks for the suggestions.
o0jelly0o is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:37 AM   #8
max5peru
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Peru
Keep us updated!
Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0jelly0o View Post
Yeah I called verizon but they said they couldn't do it or something to that affect. I'll have to try Walmart back today or I'll just trade it for an AT&T one, and do what you did because I know AT&T offers free unlocks. Thanks for the suggestions.
max5peru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:13 AM   #9
eastercat
macrumors 68040
 
eastercat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PDX
You need to put an active sim in there. When you do, the pop up will go away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0jelly0o View Post
I just purchased a no contract full priced Verizon iPhone 5 at Walmart last night, I went through the normal activation setup on the phone but it will not activate, it keeps constantly popping up the annoying message: 'iPhone not activated' I have no contract with Verizon and I don't want one at all, I simply want the iPhone to stop sending that alert message, and I want to use it as an iPod essentially until I decide if I want straight talk or not. Can anyone help please?
__________________
64 GB space grey iPhone 5S (AT&T); 16 GB space grey iPad retina mini (Verizon with T-Mobile sim); 2014 rMBP 2.8 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Nvidia GeForce GT 750M
eastercat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:51 PM   #10
marcelo4527
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0jelly0o View Post
I just purchased a no contract full priced Verizon iPhone 5 at Walmart last night, I went through the normal activation setup on the phone but it will not activate, it keeps constantly popping up the annoying message: 'iPhone not activated' I have no contract with Verizon and I don't want one at all, I simply want the iPhone to stop sending that alert message, and I want to use it as an iPod essentially until I decide if I want straight talk or not. Can anyone help please?
Try putting an active sim card from at&t or t-mobile or any other carrier and see if it works
marcelo4527 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:32 PM   #11
o0jelly0o
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelo4527 View Post
Try putting an active sim card from at&t or t-mobile or any other carrier and see if it works
I don't have any active sim currently, I don't want verizon service either, there is a verizon sim in the phone but I bought it full price without a contract. I simply want it to function with no service and no pop up until I get straight talk, if that is possible.
o0jelly0o is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:36 PM   #12
marcelo4527
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0jelly0o View Post
I don't have any active sim currently, I don't want verizon service either, there is a verizon sim in the phone but I bought it full price without a contract. I simply want it to function with no service and no pop up until I get straight talk, if that is possible.
I got mine with no contract from verizon, and like you I don't want verizon service, but when I turned the iPhone on, it said activated!
marcelo4527 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:48 PM   #13
o0jelly0o
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelo4527 View Post
I got mine with no contract from verizon, and like you I don't want verizon service, but when I turned the iPhone on, it said activated!
Hmm, maybe there is a problem with mine or possibly the SIM that came in it. Or maybe they activated yours at the store? I bought mine at Walmart so they didn't do anything but hand it to me.

Last edited by o0jelly0o; Nov 26, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
o0jelly0o is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:23 PM   #14
marcelo4527
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0jelly0o View Post
Hmm, maybe there is a problem with mine or possibly the SIM that came in it. Or maybe they activated yours at the store? I bought mine at Walmart so they didn't do anything but hand it to me.
They just handed to me too, it came sealed and I opened when i got home

strangely it shows signal and 3G with the verizon sim although i don't have anything to do with verizon
marcelo4527 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carrier: Question about activating new iPhone 5s (Verizon) smurray iPhone 2 Sep 25, 2013 02:22 PM
Help with activating my craigslist Verizon iPhone 5 caikose iPhone 18 Jun 28, 2013 11:34 PM
Activating Replacement Verizon iPhone 5 thesheleys iPhone 3 Mar 11, 2013 07:50 PM
Help with activating non-contract Verizon iPhone 5? jetlagged iPhone 5 Nov 30, 2012 05:46 AM
Activating Used Verizon iPhone mp0890 iPhone 4 Sep 23, 2012 07:05 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC