Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:37 AM   #1
aquaboy
macrumors regular

iMac discount dilemma

Hi, I work for the NHS in the uk. I can get a new iMac in January with £300 off via my works salary sacrifice scheme, is basically a tax back scheme where they take the payment out of my wages before I pay the tax.

Anyway, the dilemma is I really want the fusion drive but the scheme won't let me customise my iMac
So do I save £300 or do I buy from apple and add a fusion drive?
Thoughts??
aquaboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:42 AM   #2
jimbo1mcm
macrumors 6502a

Fusion
jimbo1mcm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:43 AM   #3
smithfield11
macrumors member

Are you sure you can do it on a salary sacrifice? I know that NHS employees get apple discount (around 6% on imacs) but surely the UK govt will not let you buy a personal machine tax free. I run my own business and Im not even allowed to do that. Let alone get all the perks of being employed by a government organisation and then get tax of hardware too.
smithfield11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:02 AM   #4
aquaboy
macrumors regular

I didn't know apple do NHS discount, is that for all staff? I might ring them and Order direct. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353927718.195427.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	379702
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353927635.216708.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	379701  
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:28 AM   #5
Laucian Nailor
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithfield11 View Post
. I run my own business and Im not even allowed to do that. Let alone get all the perks of being employed by a government organisation and then get tax of hardware too.
Depending on how your business is set up, you can in some cases. If you are registered for VAT, then you can claim back the VAT element. Even if you are on a flat rate scheme (where you pay a smaller percentage of VAT based on your business type) you can still claim, back VAT (20%) on capital expenditure if your total single purchase is over 2000 (inc VAT). This can be Mac plus accessories providing the these total at least 2000 on a single invoice. This reduces the net cost by just over 333 for a 2000 purchase

Even if you are not registered for VAT, this sort of business essential purchase offsets profit and so reduces tax on profit.
Laucian Nailor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:59 AM   #6
smithfield11
macrumors member

Oh yeah I know I can write it off against profit and I know I can claim the VAT back but if I was buying an imac to keep at home and not in the office which would be used as a general home computer Im not allowed to claim anything vs that as it isnt a company purchase.

Big uproar about tax evasion in the UK at the minute and they're letting full time employed workers to write home computing equipment off against their income. Dunno where that works.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:04 AM   #7
aquaboy
macrumors regular

This scheme launched today at my work, they do all apple products and even Samsung and dell etc.
You can only order up to £2000. Two of my colleges ordered iMacs, his order number was 57 and 15min later the other colleges order number was 89. So they are selling quite a bit. It is only unique to the NHS trust I work at and not nationwide (from what I've been told)

But still, I want the fusion drive so I might order direct from apple. How do I go about asking for my NhS discount as I can't see any links on the apple store online.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:07 AM   #8
smithfield11
macrumors member

To get the discount I'd ring up and maybe make a phone order, I dont think they have an NHS discount section online. You can get it in store if they will allow you to take a fusion drive as an option.

My other question here is how can they be ordering imacs when they arent out yet?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:14 AM   #9
aquaboy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithfield11 View Post

My other question here is how can they be ordering imacs when they arent out yet?
Yes that what I told my work mates. First come first served.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:16 AM   #10
smithfield11
macrumors member

I'm guessing they're internally just putting it all in place and will order the imacs when they become available. Knowing the NHS you could end up waiting a while.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:05 AM   #11
aquaboy
macrumors regular

Spoke to apple sales on the phone, they no longer do NHS discount :-(

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac