Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
UK
Hi, I work for the NHS in the uk. I can get a new iMac in January with £300 off via my works salary sacrifice scheme, is basically a tax back scheme where they take the payment out of my wages before I pay the tax.

Anyway, the dilemma is I really want the fusion drive but the scheme won't let me customise my iMac
So do I save £300 or do I buy from apple and add a fusion drive?
Thoughts??

smithfield11

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
Are you sure you can do it on a salary sacrifice? I know that NHS employees get apple discount (around 6% on imacs) but surely the UK govt will not let you buy a personal machine tax free. I run my own business and Im not even allowed to do that. Let alone get all the perks of being employed by a government organisation and then get tax of hardware too.

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
UK
I didn't know apple do NHS discount, is that for all staff? I might ring them and Order direct. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353927718.195427.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353927635.216708.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353927635.216708.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 125

Laucian Nailor

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
UK
. I run my own business and Im not even allowed to do that. Let alone get all the perks of being employed by a government organisation and then get tax of hardware too.

Depending on how your business is set up, you can in some cases. If you are registered for VAT, then you can claim back the VAT element. Even if you are on a flat rate scheme (where you pay a smaller percentage of VAT based on your business type) you can still claim, back VAT (20%) on capital expenditure if your total single purchase is over £2000 (inc VAT). This can be Mac plus accessories providing the these total at least £2000 on a single invoice. This reduces the net cost by just over £333 for a £2000 purchase :eek:

Even if you are not registered for VAT, this sort of business essential purchase offsets profit and so reduces tax on profit.

smithfield11

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
Oh yeah I know I can write it off against profit and I know I can claim the VAT back but if I was buying an imac to keep at home and not in the office which would be used as a general home computer Im not allowed to claim anything vs that as it isnt a company purchase.

Big uproar about tax evasion in the UK at the minute and they're letting full time employed workers to write home computing equipment off against their income. Dunno where that works.

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
UK
This scheme launched today at my work, they do all apple products and even Samsung and dell etc.
You can only order up to £2000. Two of my colleges ordered iMacs, his order number was 57 and 15min later the other colleges order number was 89. So they are selling quite a bit. It is only unique to the NHS trust I work at and not nationwide (from what I've been told)

But still, I want the fusion drive so I might order direct from apple. How do I go about asking for my NhS discount as I can't see any links on the apple store online.

smithfield11

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
To get the discount I'd ring up and maybe make a phone order, I dont think they have an NHS discount section online. You can get it in store if they will allow you to take a fusion drive as an option.

My other question here is how can they be ordering imacs when they arent out yet?

smithfield11

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
I'm guessing they're internally just putting it all in place and will order the imacs when they become available. Knowing the NHS you could end up waiting a while.

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
UK
Spoke to apple sales on the phone, they no longer do NHS discount :-(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.