Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:22 AM   #1
Psypher
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
A Retina Display can Sometimes Work Against You

I purchased an iPad 4 this weekend and absolutely love it. The retina display blows me away. I consider myself a display freak and can pick up on little issues that most people don't seem to see or care about (lucky them). This screen is beautiful and I haven't noticed any flaws yet. My issue is how Retina or HiDPI devices seem a bit ahead of their time and sometimes (many times) makes images look worse.

Most websites at the moment aren't supporting HiDPI displays. This makes images on most websites appear blurry or blown up. Even menus on websites that use images will look far worse than if using a non-retina device. I am not a web developer but I did some research and websites need to start switching to using Scalable Vector Graphics (svg). These images scale to whatever resolution the browser is using at the time and look great on HiDPI displays. I hope more and more websites adapt to this new standard soon.

The other disappointment I see is with Apps. Most apps, even popular ones like Angry Birds HD don't seem to support retina. This makes all of these apps look considerably worse than on my Wife's iPad Mini which is displaying the apps in their native resolution. I can't seem to find a way to tell if an app supports retina before I buy it. If anyone can tell me that would be great. I hate paying for apps just to find out afterward that they look terrible on my beautiful Retina Display.

I'm just saying that there's a definite disadvantage to having a Retina Display this early in the game. When a website or app is designed for it, it blows everything away. But right now in many uses it can actually make things look far worse. I can see people making an argument that the Mini actually displays most apps and web pages better than the Retina iPads. It's just something else to consider when making the decision to go Mini or Full size. What do you all think? Does anyone else care?
__________________
15" rMBP (Late 2013), Quad Core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPhone 5, 64GB, White; iPad rMini 64GB White AT&T
Psypher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:41 AM   #2
Menel
macrumors 601
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psypher View Post
I purchased an iPad 4 this weekend and absolutely love it. The retina display blows me away. I consider myself a display freak and can pick up on little issues that most people don't seem to see or care about (lucky them). This screen is beautiful and I haven't noticed any flaws yet. My issue is how Retina or HiDPI devices seem a bit ahead of their time and sometimes (many times) makes images look worse.

Most websites at the moment aren't supporting HiDPI displays. This makes images on most websites appear blurry or blown up. Even menus on websites that use images will look far worse than if using a non-retina device. I am not a web developer but I did some research and websites need to start switching to using Scalable Vector Graphics (svg). These images scale to whatever resolution the browser is using at the time and look great on HiDPI displays. I hope more and more websites adapt to this new standard soon.

The other disappointment I see is with Apps. Most apps, even popular ones like Angry Birds HD don't seem to support retina. This makes all of these apps look considerably worse than on my Wife's iPad Mini which is displaying the apps in their native resolution. I can't seem to find a way to tell if an app supports retina before I buy it. If anyone can tell me that would be great. I hate paying for apps just to find out afterward that they look terrible on my beautiful Retina Display.

I'm just saying that there's a definite disadvantage to having a Retina Display this early in the game. When a website or app is designed for it, it blows everything away. But right now in many uses it can actually make things look far worse. I can see people making an argument that the Mini actually displays most apps and web pages better than the Retina iPads. It's just something else to consider when making the decision to go Mini or Full size. What do you all think? Does anyone else care?
Why would a website developer update their website if no retina displays exist?

Angry Birds is Retina optimized. http://toucharcade.com/2012/08/03/or...etina-support/ Something is wrong with your eyes, and there goes pretty much all credibility to your rant.
__________________
iPhone 6 iPad Air Mac mini (i5, 2011)
Menel is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:01 AM   #3
mds1256
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psypher View Post
I am not a web developer but I did some research and websites need to start switching to using Scalable Vector Graphics (svg). These images scale to whatever resolution the browser is using at the time and look great on HiDPI displays. I hope more and more websites adapt to this new standard soon.
I am a web developer and can tell you that is not the case. SVG graphics are only supported on some newer browsers and would be great if everyone used the same and the most up-to-date browser version. But in the real world this is far from the norm.

I have recently updated my website to take into account the retina graphics (mainly because I use a MacBook Pro Retina) but at the minute Retina screens are not particular popular (in computers). Tablet browsing is becoming the winner, overtaking Computer browsing so since iPads are the leading internet browser (for the tablet market) then it in my opinion web developers should now start to upgrade graphics to retina style ones.

This also brings in other issues (bandwidth with the higher resolution graphics, load times etc).

The quickest and easiest way of retinaizing the website is to double the size of all the graphics. e.g. on a website the graphic may be 200 x 300px. You would make it 400 x 600px which allows for Pixel Doubling and the graphic will be sharp on retina screens.
mds1256 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:36 AM   #4
barkomatic
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Manhattan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psypher View Post
I purchased an iPad 4 this weekend and absolutely love it. The retina display blows me away. I consider myself a display freak and can pick up on little issues that most people don't seem to see or care about (lucky them). This screen is beautiful and I haven't noticed any flaws yet. My issue is how Retina or HiDPI devices seem a bit ahead of their time and sometimes (many times) makes images look worse.

Most websites at the moment aren't supporting HiDPI displays. This makes images on most websites appear blurry or blown up. Even menus on websites that use images will look far worse than if using a non-retina device. I am not a web developer but I did some research and websites need to start switching to using Scalable Vector Graphics (svg). These images scale to whatever resolution the browser is using at the time and look great on HiDPI displays. I hope more and more websites adapt to this new standard soon.

The other disappointment I see is with Apps. Most apps, even popular ones like Angry Birds HD don't seem to support retina. This makes all of these apps look considerably worse than on my Wife's iPad Mini which is displaying the apps in their native resolution. I can't seem to find a way to tell if an app supports retina before I buy it. If anyone can tell me that would be great. I hate paying for apps just to find out afterward that they look terrible on my beautiful Retina Display.

I'm just saying that there's a definite disadvantage to having a Retina Display this early in the game. When a website or app is designed for it, it blows everything away. But right now in many uses it can actually make things look far worse. I can see people making an argument that the Mini actually displays most apps and web pages better than the Retina iPads. It's just something else to consider when making the decision to go Mini or Full size. What do you all think? Does anyone else care?
It sounds like you're trying to justify a mini purchase and get affirmation that the retina display doesn't really matter.

Occasionally, there will be an element of a webpage not optimized for a HD display, but it rare. The fact that text is razor sharp in all cases is why I'll never go for less than a retina display now that I'm used to one.
barkomatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:48 AM   #5
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816
 
TouchMint.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix
I am going to be grabbing a 4 or maybe 3 (if I can get it cheap enough) pretty soon here. I am pretty excited to see the diff. My current tablet is a touchpad lol.
__________________
TouchMint.com iOS App Site
Adventure To Fate iOS RPG Game Site
Indie iOS Game: Adventure To Fate : A Quest To The Core JRPG

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:53 AM   #6
Psypher
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I'm just saying that it's too bad at this point that the retina display isn't uncompromising. I'm sure users of rMBP's are having the same issues with apps that haven't been optimized for retina screens. I would still choose retina over non-retina any day and the more people who use it, the more developers will support it.

For some reason, Angry Birds HD free still appears non-retina for me. Maybe they just optimized the paid edition or maybe I'm behind on an update. I can just look at the icon and tell it's blurry. Whereas Angry Birds Space HD is definitely retina capable. The problem is that there's no way for me as a consumer to know this until after I purchase it. It should say it in the description where it shows which which devices it's compatible with.
__________________
15" rMBP (Late 2013), Quad Core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPhone 5, 64GB, White; iPad rMini 64GB White AT&T
Psypher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:24 PM   #7
kycophpd
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
If you have ever run across a high definition porn on a retina display, you wont want it to happen again. Every wrinkle, line and pimple shows up in great clarity... or so I have heard.
__________________
13" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6GHz, Apple Verizon iPhone 6 Plus 64GB Unlimited Data, iPad Air Black 64GB Verizon
kycophpd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:35 PM   #8
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psypher View Post
For some reason, Angry Birds HD free still appears non-retina for me. Maybe they just optimized the paid edition or maybe I'm behind on an update. I can just look at the icon and tell it's blurry. Whereas Angry Birds Space HD is definitely retina capable. The problem is that there's no way for me as a consumer to know this until after I purchase it. It should say it in the description where it shows which which devices it's compatible with.
That's weird. The HD in the name indicates Retina support. Did you try deleting and reinstalling?
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:36 PM   #9
mattopotamus
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kycophpd View Post
If you have ever run across a high definition porn on a retina display, you wont want it to happen again. Every wrinkle, line and pimple shows up in great clarity... or so I have heard.
lol..so you heard
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:37 PM   #10
BRyken
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kycophpd View Post
if you have ever run across a high definition porn on a retina display, you wont want it to happen again. Every wrinkle, line and pimple shows up in great clarity... Or so i have heard.
tmmg
__________________
Mac Mini 2.7GHz i7 16GB RAM Fusion Drive | 27" Thunderbolt Display | Seagate Backup Plus 3TB USB 3.0|16 GB Black iPhone 5
BRyken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:40 PM   #11
djransom
macrumors 68040
 
djransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chi-Town
Quote:
Originally Posted by kycophpd View Post
If you have ever run across a high definition porn on a retina display, you wont want it to happen again. Every wrinkle, line and pimple shows up in great clarity... or so I have heard.
Lol
__________________
Live and love life
djransom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:57 AM   #12
NATO
macrumors 68000
 
NATO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
That's weird. The HD in the name indicates Retina support. Did you try deleting and reinstalling?
Angry Birds 'HD' just means one optimised for iPad resolution (Originally 1024x768). The menus are definitely retina optimised, however the actual game is clearly a lower resolution, probably just 1024x768 stretched to the retina resolution.
__________________
Genius is perseverance in disguise
NATO is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:03 AM   #13
stuaz
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I personally find browsing Websites on my RMBP fine. Most websites seem pretty clear but then I don't sit that close to my laptop to be able to notice every pixel in the picture.
stuaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How does retina display work? malistrais MacBook Pro 5 May 25, 2014 04:23 PM
Wifi does not work correctly on iPad Mini w/ Retina display MacbookSwitcher iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 4 Dec 15, 2013 07:55 PM
iPod Touch 4th Gen Retina vs. iPhone Retina Display, Are they different? falconman515 iPod touch 13 Nov 28, 2012 02:31 AM
Retina display for photo work dimme MacBook Pro 0 Jun 12, 2012 11:07 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC