Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Hi all,

I will be getting a MBA soon and wanted to know how to prepare for it.

I also got a 3tb Seagate external HDD from costco.

I currently use an old 2006 white macbook so I have no idea how to setup automatic time machine backups. I want to use that HDD for itunes and photo librarry along with backup and want to know how to do it.

Also, what apps should I delete to have more space? and is there an guide as to hwo to do it.

dmw16

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
If you can find one for a halfway decent price I'd suggest returning the hard drive you bought and picking up a Thunderbolt drive.

The speed is excellent and allows for externally stored files to be as quickly accessed as those on the internal drive.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I think I got a pretty good deal on the 3 to hdd and its USB 3.0.
Is it not a good hdd, I think the thunderbolts are still comparatively expensive. But if the drive I bought is not good then I will return it. Please suggest

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Setting up Time Machine is as simple as plugging in the drive. The MBA will ask if you want to set it up and then it's done. If you dismiss the message, you can set it up later via Settings. Also, you may need to format the drive assuming it's pre-formatted for Windows.

For moving your iTunes library off your computer, see this article.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-10242259-285/how-to-move-an-itunes-library-to-an-external-drive/

I don't have a resource for doing this with iPhoto but hopefully another user does. Good luck, and you'll love the MBA!

thepro8

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2009
No need to delete apps that come on it it will come with iLife and that's useful.

My suggestions if you have sensitive data.

-encrypt HD
-encrypt you backups
-Run Backup
-modify system settings to your liking
-install apps you want
-transfer any files
-Backup
-enjoy your computer.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I read somehwere that you can also delete garage band as that frees up some space, but can't find the steps or teh trhead that discussed it.

Alos, is there a way to have two log in, one for my personal use and the other when other people are there using the MBA.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
If the MBA comes with Lion am i eligible for free ML upgrade?

Alos, if it is, will it be a fresh install if I upgrade to ML or will I be doing an install over Lion.

What I mean is if I open the MBA for the first time and start it it will be with Lion and then the first thing i do is upgrade to ML is that a fresh install?

if not then what are the steps to a fresh install?

hutch34

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
Florida
If you can find one for a halfway decent price I'd suggest returning the hard drive you bought and picking up a Thunderbolt drive.

The speed is excellent and allows for externally stored files to be as quickly accessed as those on the internal drive.

Actually, I bought the same drive as OP did. It was a steal at $99 for 3TB. If it really is the same, a (Backup Plus or GoFlex Drive), OP actually bought the perfect drive!

Why? Because you can get a Thunderbolt Adapter for it when you're willing to shell out the extra cash to get the extra speed and also daisy chain if you wish. The Thunderbolt adapter is about $150 on Amazon, but then you do have to get the Thunderbolt cable which is another $50. A little expensive, but they don't have to buy it immediately.

However, if you look at it this way, you're getting 3TB of Thunderbolt storage for $300. That's with an extra Thunderbolt port too if you ever wanted to expand.

Also, if they wanted to backup their 2006 drive first before getting the MBA then obviously the Thunderbolt wouldn't work on the 2006 machine. This way, they could also backup the 2006 machine, and then restore the files, etc to the new MBA. Then they could get the Thunderbolt Adapter/Cable in the future when they decided to.

Here is the link for the Thunderbolt Adapter(Assuming you bought the Seagate Backup Plus drive):

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Deskt...0&sr=8-5&keywords=thunderbolt+adapter+seagate

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
I read somehwere that you can also delete garage band as that frees up some space, but can't find the steps or teh trhead that discussed it.

Alos, is there a way to have two log in, one for my personal use and the other when other people are there using the MBA.

To delete GarageBand, invoke Launchpad. While you're looking at your apps, press and hold the option key. Any apps that can be un-installed from here will show a little X while they jiggle, just like iOS! Click the X and delete the app, it can be re-downloaded later from the Mac App Store if you need it.

Have your guest users log into a guest account! When they're finished using your computer, anything that they've downloaded or done while in that account can be deleted upon logout, works great.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Thanks for your reply. So now in ML you can actually delet apps like in IOS, thats cool. But how would it know that i bought it when I want to re-download since the appp came with the OSX and i did not purchase it separately.

Well I ordered from Amazona nd it says comes with Lion, so do I get a free upgrade to ML and if so how do I do a fresh install.

RoadCyclistID

Contributor
Oct 18, 2007
Idaho
To delete GarageBand, invoke Launchpad. While you're looking at your apps, press and hold the option key. Any apps that can be un-installed from here will show a little X while they jiggle, just like iOS! Click the X and delete the app, it can be re-downloaded later from the Mac App Store if you need it.

Have your guest users log into a guest account! When they're finished using your computer, anything that they've downloaded or done while in that account can be deleted upon logout, works great.

Or you could just D/L app zapper and drop the the icon into the app and bam it is gone! Then just enjoy your new toy as I am with my new MBA that I picked up 5 days ago!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.