Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
If I move my mouse slowly, then my cursor crawls. If I move a little faster, then my cursor all of a sudden goes really fast. There really is no middle. Why? It's actually been like this since I got my Mac (about June) and it has been forever annoying.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Some people really complain about this. Windows does it differently. I much prefer the Mac's way of doing it to the Windows way, just feels more natural to me for some reason. Anyway, Apple should probably make it an option that you can turn off in mouse preferences.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
It really strains my mouse hand, because when I'm moving, I have to be super careful, otherwise, I will click on something else.

Gah! My arm hurts after every session. Besides that, the Mac rocks. But... unless I navigate with only the keyboard, then it sucks as of now. :(

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Try changing the tracking speed of the mouse under System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse>Mouse until you find something you like more.
IT may take a while to get used to its difference, but you should eventually. Try not thinking about it too much and be as natural as possible with the way you use your mouse.

If all else fails (and RSI is no fun) try buying a 3rd party mouse (Like Microsoft or Logitech). These often come with a 3rd-party driver that usurps the OS X standard one (if you install it!) that may help.

Good luck!

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
thats the only thing that has ever bothered me about the mac is the mouse acceleration. on windows, i can easily flick the mouse and click something, while on the mac i need to be a little more careful or i will end up clicking something else... its kinda annoying. i've tried all kinds of hacks, but none ever seem to work.

I dont understand why its like that to begin with. it makes it really difficult to draw a circle or something without the mouse jumping all around, unless you are going the exact same speed through out...

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Erm, wow. Ever since I got my Mac Mini in June 2005, I had this problem. I was never aware that there were more people than simply myself who were experiencing this problem :( I thought that maybe I could have an exchange, but I guess not now.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Gary King said:
Erm, wow. Ever since I got my Mac Mini in June 2005, I had this problem. I was never aware that there were more people than simply myself who were experiencing this problem :( I thought that maybe I could have an exchange, but I guess not now.

Just download USB Overdrive, and then you can make the mouse cursor behave the way you want. It's kind of a shame you need a $20 shareware program to do something that ought to be part of the OS, but it's not like you're stuck with the default behavior.

--Eric

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
JeDiBoYTJ said:
t understand why its like that to begin with. it makes it really difficult to draw a circle or something without the mouse jumping all around, unless you are going the exact same speed through out...
I can draw a circle no problem? :confused:
Maybe it's just cos I've been using a Mac now for so long? I dunno! :confused: :confused:

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Eric5h5 said:
Just download USB Overdrive, and then you can make the mouse cursor behave the way you want. It's kind of a shame you need a $20 shareware program to do something that ought to be part of the OS, but it's not like you're stuck with the default behavior.

--Eric
Thanks, seems to be closer to what I am looking for.

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
I used the Microsoft drivers on my Microsoft keyboard / mouse and it works great. Thanks for this very useful thread, I had the same frustration and thought there was no solution!

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
I have a Dell mouse, plugged into a KVM switch, and then to my Mini. I don't think there are existing Dell mouse drivers, are there? I couldn't find them on the Dell website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.