Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tedesco24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
I have a 500gb Western Digital external drive connected through a usb hub. Ever since upgrading to ML I periodically (maybe once every other day) get the "device did not eject properly" message. Out of nowhere my computer dumps the connection with the external drive. Sometimes the device will be eject while I'm using the computer, so it's not a sleep issue like some other users are having trouble with.
Just now I was copying some a folder from the WD to my Dropbox desktop folder. In the middle of the transfer, it dropped the transfer and gave me the disconnect error.
Any ideas what could be causing this? Fixes?

Caromsoft

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
I have the same issue with my external Time Machine drive. Will disconnect randomly. It is connected directly to the USB port. I haven't gotten around to trying a different cable.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
I've experienced this a few times too. Just thought it was a fluke. Maybe I'll give it a bit more attention next time.

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
western digital ... that's the answer. their usb connections are flimsy :mad:

i have one as well that keeps disconnecting. although, it started happening when I upgraded to Snow Leopard. maybe it's the Snow Leopard :confused:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
western digital ... that's the answer. their usb connections are flimsy :mad:

i have one as well that keeps disconnecting. although, it started happening when I upgraded to Snow Leopard. maybe it's the Snow Leopard :confused:

my drive is an iomega, so not just WD drives.for me, the powered hub fixed it.
perhaps look at this...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.