Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:01 AM   #1
diegobgr
macrumors 6502

iPad - Mini, 2 or Retina?

Hello!

I will to get and iPad for Christmas and I doubt which one should I choose.

I am going to use for iLife, iWork, web browsing, light gaming and watch TV series and films and live sports.

I will like to use it in combination with iPhone and iMac. I carry my iPhone everywhere but when I am at home there are sometimes when I don't need the power or the size screen of the iMac.

I really like the Mini but I am worried if it is small. The price is perfect for as it is very much cheaper than Retina.

What experiences do you have about it? I am talking about screen size, handling, life battery...

Thank you!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:04 AM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

For iWork and iLife I'd want the bigger screen for sure.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:13 AM   #3
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

In your described situation I would go with retina. You should be covered with the iPhone for mobile needs and at home the bigger size of the iPad don't disturb. Dr reading and watching movies it's a perfect size. And an awesome screen.
You can adjust on price by reducing storage; or refurb iPad3
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:19 AM   #4
blevins321
macrumors 68030

Since you're planning for iWork, I'd definitely go for the bigger screen. And TBH, the iPad 2 shouldn't even be considered anymore. It's very quickly being left behind. I'd do the 4 if you can swing it, but the 3 maybe refurb would still be a terrific buy.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:30 AM   #5
nfl46
macrumors 601

Mini could handle those applications just fine, but go with the larger screen for them...retina.
nfl46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:35 AM   #6
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Since you plan on using this at home, and want to do iLife stuff, go for the iPad 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins321 View Post
...And TBH, the iPad 2 shouldn't even be considered anymore. It's very quickly being left behind.
It has almost the same specs as the Mini, so if it's being left behind, so is the Mini.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:51 AM   #7
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
For iWork and iLife I'd want the bigger screen for sure.
Agreed. I would also pay for the retina display.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:24 AM   #8
Mjmar
macrumors 65816

The retina iPad works best propped up with a Smart Cover or if you have something to lean it on. The mini is great to hold, but the screen doesn't even come close to the retina iPad's. You need to decide what is more important to you - A great screen or a comfortable form factor. I'm keeping both, but once the retina iPad mini comes out that will be my only iPad.

Edit: wouldn't consider the iPad 2. It's just as uncomfortable to hold as the retina iPad, but doesn't have the benefit of the retina display.
Mjmar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:39 AM   #9
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjmar View Post
Edit: wouldn't consider the iPad 2. It's just as uncomfortable to hold as the retina iPad, but doesn't have the benefit of the retina display.
It is noticibly lighter.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:43 AM   #10
terminator-jq
macrumors newbie

They all are great iPads. Here is what I'd do:

iPad Mini: Get this if you want to save money and need something more portable than a full size iPad. This is great for students. Also, due to its light weight and smaller size, it's great for playing games and reading books.

iPad 2: Get this if you want a cheaper, full size iPad.

iPad 3: If you can still find one, get this iPad if you plan on using the iPad for something that requires a lot of detail, such as photo editing. The retina screen will help you with these task.

iPad 4: Get this if you want a little extra power and need a retina screen. Not too many apps take advantage of the iPad 4's power, but you notice that apps launch and load faster. Also things will be smoother in general.

edit: I just noticed that you said you liked the mini, but you were worried about it being too small. I'd highly suggest you go to an Apple store and play with the mini for a while (as well as the other iPads). I think you'll find that the mini is not nearly as small as it looks in pictures. It's size is also great for typing.
terminator-jq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:45 PM   #11
diegobgr
macrumors 6502

Thanks for your answers!

I don't really need the Retina. My father has an iPad 2 and I really love it. It's perfect for my needs regarding speed, memory size, features...My doubts are about screen size and handling.

About uses, 90% of the time will be with Safari, iLife and light gaming. I don't really use iWork too much, as I said, I have an iMac for serious work.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:31 PM   #12
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

If you dont currently own one then Ipad 4 is a clear solution. Good screen, good battery and its not as heavy as u think it is.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:47 AM   #13
Badrottie
macrumors 68030

ipad 2 is for you…that is all I can for now.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:25 AM   #14
maflynn

As Jessica mentioned for any sort of iWork/iLife work I'd want a larger a screen and on top of that the retina screen makes it even better.

The mini is a great tablet but no tablet is perfect, you need to choose small portable vs. larger better screen. For your needs what's more important (It sounds like the iPad 4 to me)
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:28 AM   #15
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Or you could snag a refurbed/open box iPad 3 and save a couple of bucks.

Whoops, ChristianJapan already covered that. Sorry!

Last edited by clyde2801; Nov 27, 2012 at 07:37 AM.
clyde2801 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:41 AM   #16
ZBoater
macrumors 604

I don't think 1.8" is going to make a significant difference in iLife/iWork. I use Quickoffice HD and it look/functions the same on the larger screen and on the mini. Less than 2" more is meaningless. The reduction in WEIGHT is a bigger deal IMHO.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:10 AM   #17
Ayemerica
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
I don't think 1.8" is going to make a significant difference in iLife/iWork. I use Quickoffice HD and it look/functions the same on the larger screen and on the mini. Less than 2" more is meaningless. The reduction in WEIGHT is a bigger deal IMHO.
I agree the reduction in weight just makes the mini want to be held. I didn't use my iPad 3 anywhere as much as I use the mini.

(On the mini right now)
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:22 PM   #18
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Agree with bigger for iWork, so mini should be out. Screen space would be very limited, especially with the onscreen keyboard. Retina is great, but the weight and heat really bug me. Heat is pretty bad. iPad 2 has nowhere near as nice a screen though - zero heat and amazing battery life though.

All of which is to say that I think every iPad is a compromise right now. I'd try em in store and see how you feel about heat/weight/thickness/screen. You might be surprised which ones end up mattering to you.
QCassidy352 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:25 PM   #19
Medic311
macrumors 68000

get an iPad 3 16GB wifi refurb for $379

Last edited by Medic311; Nov 27, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad