Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
Its been some time since I briefly experimented with VM fusion, at the time I had a few points of confusion and I couldnt get it working as I wanted.
Just had a few questions....

with either VM or Parallels, is it possible to have a bootcamp install of Windows that you can log into
i) by holding option at start up

and also

ii) boot into the same install in a virtual windows when running Mac OS?

At the time I tried it out , I recall when trying to set up the virtual log in, it had created a separate install of windows and I did not have access to the same files as I would if I booted into it through bootcamp.

just needed confirmation that this is possible rather then step by step instructions how to do it, and in addition to that which is the better application to purchase ? ( parralells or VMware)

thanks

manoranjan

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
Diagnostic Devices

I've recently joined the world of Macs and I have a question: Is it really easy to ... If you don't want to pay then check out virtualbox, I use vmware fusion. ... parallels for mac allows you to install allmost any os onto the mac.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
with either VM or Parallels, is it possible to have a bootcamp install of Windows that you can log into
i) by holding option at start up

and also

ii) boot into the same install in a virtual windows when running Mac OS?
Absolutely -- with either one.

At the time I tried it out , I recall when trying to set up the virtual log in, it had created a separate install of windows and I did not have access to the same files as I would if I booted into it through bootcamp.
You can also create an entirely new VM by importing from Boot Camp which is what you did.

which is the better application to purchase ? ( parralells or VMware)
Depends on who you ask and what your criteria is for better. Always qualify exactly what you mean when you use the word and never assume that your notion of "better" is universal no matter what the topic. It's one of many highly subjective words.

There are countless threads full of opinions that you can refer to. The annoying ads at startup with Parallels was a dealbreaker for me and I'm on Fusion now.

Last edited:

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
Thanks & I accept my classification for "better" was very vague !

I guess I wouldn't be using much advanced functions, just the base abilitiy of being able to load up a virtual window to run a couple of otherwise unaccessable apps. By better I guess I refer more to the reliability, ease of use and interface design.

Regards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.