Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:58 AM   #1
LouE37
macrumors newbie

Trade-in and upgrade swap, can it be done?

Tried searching for my specific situation and couldnt find what i was looking for. Here is the skinny...

My wife and I are on a family plan. I have the 4s and she has the 4. I'd like to use her upgrade which is coming up in a few weeks and then give her my 4s. More specifically, i'd like to trade in her 4 at a local retailer and then use that $ toward the 5. From there, i want to have my # setup on the 5 and give my wife my 4s (she could care less about having the latest and greatest). My thought is that i can literally swap SIMS between my 4s and her 4 so it then becomes setup with the wifes #. However if i get the 5 would i need to then go to ATT or call them up to have my # setup on that new nano sim? Will a store like Best Buy be able to hand me/wife and un programmed phone so that i can have ATT set it up with my info or can they do that?
LouE37 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouE37 View Post
Tried searching for my specific situation and couldnt find what i was looking for. Here is the skinny...

My wife and I are on a family plan. I have the 4s and she has the 4. I'd like to use her upgrade which is coming up in a few weeks and then give her my 4s. More specifically, i'd like to trade in her 4 at a local retailer and then use that $ toward the 5. From there, i want to have my # setup on the 5 and give my wife my 4s (she could care less about having the latest and greatest). My thought is that i can literally swap SIMS between my 4s and her 4 so it then becomes setup with the wifes #. However if i get the 5 would i need to then go to ATT or call them up to have my # setup on that new nano sim? Will a store like Best Buy be able to hand me/wife and un programmed phone so that i can have ATT set it up with my info or can they do that?
Yes use her upgrade to get the iphone 5. When it comes activate it then get a nano sim for yourself to use in the 5 and a micro sim so she can use the 4S.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:22 AM   #3
Kashsystems
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouE37 View Post

You can use her upgrade and have best buy program your old phone with her info. I have had target and best buy do the same thing. Then just restore everything over. We have 5 lines so we are always doing rotating upgrades. In a lot cases we did not even bother with swapping sim cards, but that is up to you.
Kashsystems is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:31 AM   #4
LouE37
macrumors newbie

Thx everyone for the quick response. Looks like well be ok to do this then.
LouE37 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone