Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:12 AM   #1
esskay
macrumors 6502

Email Client App that works like iOS email

Howdy,
I did a search but my search-fu must be weak...

I am wondering if there is an email client app for the Mac which works like iOS email, in other words:

1) multiple email accounts (gmail, yahoo, exchange)
2) unified in box
3) integrates with gmail and yahoo mail via imap (not POP), so that it preserves folders, sent mail, etc on both sides
4) integrates with Exchange
5) integrates with unified contacts

For my purposes, it is less important that entire mailboxes are archived (a la iOS mail), I wouldn't mind so much if I had to go to the specific web mail implementations for each email account to search historically.

Thanks for any suggestions!
esskay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:14 AM   #2
ashameer
macrumors newbie

OSX Mail?
ashameer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:31 AM   #3
esskay
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the suggestion, the last time I researched OSX Mail it connected to Yahoo Mail via POP, not IMAP... so sent items, folders, etc would not be synchronized between my Mac and Yahoo mail servers.

I just googled again and found a variety of suggestions for how to get IMAP access to Yahoo via OSX Mail but it seems hit or miss and unreliable... I was hoping there might be another app that makes it easy...

note I do have Yahoo Mail Plus so I can use POP, but I want to use IMAP so everything is synchronized across all my devices.

Thanks
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:41 AM   #4
ashameer
macrumors newbie

Did you try these settings?

Incoming Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
Outgoing Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Incoming Port - 993 (requires SSL)
Outgoing Port - 465 (requires SSL/TLS)
Username: full email address (for example, bill@yahoo.com or bill@rocketmail.com)
Password: the password you login to Yahoo! with.
ashameer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:12 PM   #5
esskay
macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot, I'll give those settings a try!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:27 PM   #6
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by esskay View Post
integrates with gmail and yahoo mail via imap (not POP), so that it preserves folders, sent mail, etc on both sides
You can manually configure to set these up as IMAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esskay View Post
integrates with Exchange
This might be trickier to find. Well, not tricky but it will limit your options.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:41 PM   #7
esskay
macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, on a second try, I think I was able to figure out how to get the Yahoo IMAP settings in there by setting them manually during account creation...

... but then I realized a big problem which is that I have so many innumerable emails in my (unlimited) Yahoo account that OSX Mail crashed! ... and read/unread status was getting screwed up.

I suspect unless I clean up the zillions of emails in my Yahoo account that I'll have problems with mail clients unless I can find one where I can set it NOT to download *everything* (e.g. like iOS where it only downloads the latest xxx messages).
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:41 PM   #8
kirky29
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to kirky29 Send a message via Skype™ to kirky29
What about Sparrow for Mac? Fantastic client, could do with some more features, but it's owned by Google now, so I'm not sure if there is going to be anymore!

I'm not sure if it has a unified inbox though, theres a free version to try though

Edit - there is a unified inbox!

http://www.sparrowmailapp.com/mac.php
kirky29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store