Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:12 PM   #26
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
iTunes and Amazon are both stores.

The Amazon company owns Amazon store.
The Apple company owns the iTunes store.

I'm talking about the stores, you can't just cherry-pick stuff from the left and the right and mix them together. Pick a side.

You're the one who indicated that what a store is named tells you what they're supposed to sell.

I'm simply asking, does that apply to all stores? (Target?) If not, why not? Why just iTunes?

Well, explain to me why Amazon and Target are allowed to sell anything, but iTunes is only allowed to sell Tunes.

Once I have a good answer to that question I'll take back my silly statement.
Amazon has never sold "amazonian" items. It started off selling books, no? Not remotely related. So there was never a connection. ETA In fact the logo implies that they sell everything from A to Z. An intentional graphic reference.

Target - never sold targets. Always sold lots of items.

iTunes - was branded because it sold music. It no longer sells just music.

Even Apple changed its name. Remember when it was called Apple Computers. Why did they change? Because the focus of the company wasn't only on Computers.

iTunes is no longer focused on just music.
samcraig is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:13 PM   #27
mrgraff
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
In 5 years, it'll be "Please hold still while I scan your retinas"...
It will probably get to the point that you will be scanned as you walk into the store. You could then grab whatever you want, and provided you have sufficient funds, you could walk out with your purchases with your account already debited.
mrgraff is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:17 PM   #28
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Even Apple changed its name. Remember when it was called Apple Computers. Why did they change? Because the focus of the company wasn't only on Computers.
So a company named 'Apple' can sell computers without apples in them, and that's ok.

But a store names 'iTunes' can't sell things that don't have tunes in them.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here. I'm not sure why you think one of these is confusing and the other isn't (they sound the same to me), but that's how you see it, I guess.
Small White Car is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:20 PM   #29
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
So a company named 'Apple' can sell computers without apples in them, and that's ok.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here. I'm not sure why you think one of these is confusing and the other isn't, but that's how you see it, I guess.
I never said it was confusing. I said the name was limited/limiting.

And the fact that you can't see the difference between iTunes vs every other example is funny to me.

But you keep on enjoying the iTunes name. I doubt they would change it anyway.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:20 PM   #30
ck2875
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here. I'm not sure why you think one of these is confusing and the other isn't (they sound the same to me), but that's how you see it, I guess.
I think you're missing his point.
ck2875 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:22 PM   #31
rmwebs
Banned

Big deal.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:27 PM   #32
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck2875 View Post
I think you're missing his point.
Definitely
Small White Car is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:31 PM   #33
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I'm surprised that you can't gift a specific song, movie or App - rather than a specific amount. Maybe that will be down the pike. Or maybe Apple doesn't want to give up a % of the revenue of people doing that via iTunes.
You can already do that as long as you know the other person's email address. I've used it with friends and family members before. Pretty handy.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:32 PM   #34
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaluproar View Post
You can already do that as long as you know the other person's email address. I've used it with friends and family members before. Pretty handy.
via facebook? I thought it was only via iTunes (on your computer, via web or iDevice)
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:35 PM   #35
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

Quote:
via facebook? I thought it was only via iTunes (on your computer, via web or iDevice)
You mean by using your friends list rather than the email address? I see the appeal, but I can't see a clean way of doing that yet.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:39 PM   #36
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaluproar View Post
You mean by using your friends list rather than the email address? I see the appeal, but I can't see a clean way of doing that yet.
Well what I meant is - being on FB and gifting something specific to a FB friend.

Maybe I played something on spotify or whatever and it's on my FB feed. I click on that post and am able to gift that song to you (for example).

Or maybe I made a FB post about an App or Movie or Book and you asked whether or not I would recommend it. I could then gift it to you via FB.

Just two examples/use cases.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:40 PM   #37
wolfshades
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacNicholson View Post
this is kind of cool. i think its mostly for those teen girls who just never leave facebook though
Nope. There's a generation out there now who mostly use Facebook for their online socializing. Email (apparently) is for the older generation. My kids are grown up and that's all they use.

This is therefore - I think - a pretty cool idea.
wolfshades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:43 PM   #38
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeFowler View Post
Why change the name of something that everyone's familiar with? That would be marketing madness.
I suggest gradual transition, so nobody gets hurt:

iTunes
iStunes
iStufes
iStuffe
iStuff
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:46 PM   #39
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach View Post
Why do people act like the entire company only works on one thing at a time?

Every time there's news about something, people who don't like it inevitably make this kind of comment.

Apple has thousands of employees working on many different projects. Hardware engineers aren't taken away from the next MBP to litigate in court. iTunes developers are not dropping what they're working on to negotiate a partner ship with Facebook.
Apple, stop wasting your time on this and get back to the Mac Pros

Pakaku is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:48 PM   #40
ifij775
macrumors regular

Linking up with Facebook can only help Apple. Hopefully this will help drive interest in apple devices and services.
ifij775 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:50 PM   #41
rmwebs
Banned

It's funny. I'd trust Google a hell of a lot more than Facebook!
rmwebs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:56 PM   #42
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502

Oh good! Just what the iTunes gift cards needed: obnoxious notifications and wall posts.
somethingelsefl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:00 PM   #43
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

The facebookification (tm) of the internet annoys me. Aside from spam, which hits facebook too, was email that bad?