Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:41 PM   #51
donrsd
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
I think we're 5 years out from store clerks asking "Visa, Mastercard, or iTunes?"

In all 3 cases you'll make the transaction using an app on your phone, but my point is that Apple will soon be seen equally as 'Device Maker,' 'Media Seller,' and 'Credit Card Company.'
I agree with you on using an app to make purchases, but before Apple gets into the credit card industry like how you explain - they need to become a cell phone service provider!!!

GREAT AVATAR!!!
__________________
PSN: DonVCorleone
The U - NY Mets - NY Giants - Miami Heat

Quote Me So I Am Notified
donrsd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:00 PM   #52
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
Broaden your mind... iTunes - the place where you "tune" into something - a song, a movie, a TV show, an app, a book. The definition of "tune" isn't limited to music. Do you remember "TV tuners"? haha

Sure. Then let's drop the "S" then, shall we? When was that last time you said "iTunes into TV" or "iTunes into a book"
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:04 PM   #53
scott523
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcow View Post
Unless they routinely go on sale for 15% to 20% off like Best Buy offers them, this is pointless.
At least they'll be able to sell them. Best Buy, although on sale periodically, have been sold out of digital gift cards for at least 6 months, as if they're discontinuing sale.
scott523 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:06 PM   #54
Rocketman
macrumors 603
 
Rocketman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Claremont, CA
They have been working more closely since Apple did what Zuck wanted. Zuckerberg is the new Jobs. Rude, crude, assertive, and a singular focus on the distant future. Few do.

I bet more Apple gift cards are redeemed than any other gift card on the planet.

Rocketman
__________________
Think Different-ly!
All 357 R or D House jobs bills over 4 years died in the D Senate, ordered by the D President. Buy a model rocket here: http://v-serv.com/usr/instaship-visual.htm Thanks.

Last edited by Rocketman; Nov 26, 2012 at 04:41 PM.
Rocketman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:15 PM   #55
goodcow
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott523 View Post
At least they'll be able to sell them. Best Buy, although on sale periodically, have been sold out of digital gift cards for at least 6 months, as if they're discontinuing sale.
Doesn't matter, they still ship the physical ones, on sale, with free shipping.
__________________
MacPro (4,1): 2 x 2.26GHz Quad-Core, 12GB RAM, 640GB HD, 3x750GB WD Black (RAID-0), Drobo (4x1TB), DroboPro (8x2TB), BlackMagic Intensity Pro
iPhone 5, Apple TV (3rd gen.), Time Capsule (500GB)
goodcow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:23 PM   #56
MadDawg2020
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I'm confused the article claims this will give more exposure for iTunes Store and gift cards? Does anything by Apple (or Facebook for that matter) really need MORE exposure?
You can already buy iTunes cards at pretty much every retail store in the country from gas stations to best buy, Target and Sears and everywhere else except for maybe the Microsoft and Sony retail stores. And if you are too lazy to walk to a retail store, you can order them digitally on 1000's of websites. Availability and exposure is NOT a problem for Apple iTunes cards or Facebook .

Just admit what this is REALLY about, it is yet another attempt by Facebook to gain access to your web viewing history and trends, and then track and control and data mine your information so Facebook can make as much money as possiable on YOUR back, (and of course give you NOTHING in return for the free data they collect)
MadDawg2020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:23 PM   #57
JAT
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mpls, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by writingdevil View Post
EDIT: i have been chastised by my gf for referring to my 'old maid aunt'. She said it sounded sexist and also a slam at the poster, which it was not, because my aunt is that way, but I hereby withdraw my aunt reference and change it to my retired high school teacher uncle. (OK, sweetie?)
Sorry, but that is stupid. Any "-ism" is a reference to a group of people. If you aren't allowed to identify your specific aunt vs your brother via whatever means necessary, including gender, then lets just all kill ourselves right now.
__________________
-- Spiky
JAT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:26 PM   #58
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
FB, as far as I can tell - is having trouble proving they can generate income. Advertising isn't cutting it enough for Wall Street to be confident. This is another revenue stream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDawg2020 View Post
I'm confused the article claims this will give more exposure for iTunes Store and gift cards? Does anything by Apple (or Facebook for that matter) really need MORE exposure?
You can already buy iTunes cards at pretty much every retail store in the country from gas stations to best buy, Target and Sears and everywhere else except for maybe the Microsoft and Sony retail stores. And if you are too lazy to walk to a retail store, you can order them digitally on 1000's of websites. Availability and exposure is NOT a problem for Apple iTunes cards or Facebook .

Just admit what this is REALLY about, it is yet another attempt by Facebook to gain access to your web viewing history and trends, and then track and control and data mine your information so Facebook can make as much money as possiable on YOUR back, (and of course give you NOTHING in return for the free data they collect)
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:34 PM   #59
SLiM620
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cali
Send a message via AIM to SLiM620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacNicholson View Post
this is kind of cool. i think its mostly for those teen girls who just never leave facebook though
Maybe, but my mind goes to "It's [blank's] birthday today, send him/her an itunes gift certificate." Instead of just leaving the obligatory happy birthday comment you can send them an actual gift.
SLiM620 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:51 PM   #60
ArmCortexA8
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Terra Australis
No matter what I will never use any of these services for my music, I will always obtain my music via other non-financial means thank you. I will use iTunes to browse and manage, but that's as far as it goes.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus Gold 128GB / Apple iPod Touch 64GB 5th Gen (Retina) / Apple MacBook Pro Retina 15" / i7 Quad Core / 16GB RAM / 512GB SSD / Intel Iris and Nvidia GeForce 750M.
ArmCortexA8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:58 PM   #61
MacDav
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
A) I hope not
B) They need to change the name of iTunes. Long overdue, no? They sell books, movies, apps, etc. iTunes is limiting.
iTunes is a household name like "Jello". It would be insane to change a brand name that's known worldwide. What would you suggest? "iEverything"?
MacDav is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:58 PM   #62
malexandria
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
iMatch Beware! Never Buying another piece of Digital Content from Apple

I just bought a new Macbook Pro. Because there were a lot of duplicate files in my iTunes Library and it has gotten out of control, I decided that this time I wanted to start with a clean Library, I decided I'll just download my library from iMatch. Instead, the damn thing REPLACED my old library with the new clean iTunes. I LOST all my music (Luckily, I still had a backup directory - but my 700 playlists that I've spent years building are GONE). Here's Apple's response (this experience has left a bad taste in my mouth and I think I'm going to return my Macbook and get a PC.)


Hello,

XXXX here from the iTunes Store. I hope you had a nice weekend. I am sorry for the delay as I was away on my weekend. XXXX, I do thank you for your patience while we reviewed your account as well. I spoke to the engineers about retrieving your iTunes Match library from 11/18/12. We do not have the ability to do so on our end. I am sorry for the inconvenience this causes. The engineers stated your iTunes Match library is empty. They also noted that iTunes Match is a cloud service to make content available across multiple devices and not intended as a back up for content.

Thank you XXXXX for understanding and your patience while we looked this over.
malexandria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:06 PM   #63
bassfingers
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by malexandria View Post
I just bought a new Macbook Pro. Because there were a lot of duplicate files in my iTunes Library and it has gotten out of control, I decided that this time I wanted to start with a clean Library, I decided I'll just download my library from iMatch. Instead, the damn thing REPLACED my old library with the new clean iTunes. I LOST all my music (Luckily, I still had a backup directory - but my 700 playlists that I've spent years building are GONE). Here's Apple's response (this experience has left a bad taste in my mouth and I think I'm going to return my Macbook and get a PC.)


Hello,

XXXX here from the iTunes Store. I hope you had a nice weekend. I am sorry for the delay as I was away on my weekend. XXXX, I do thank you for your patience while we reviewed your account as well. I spoke to the engineers about retrieving your iTunes Match library from 11/18/12. We do not have the ability to do so on our end. I am sorry for the inconvenience this causes. The engineers stated your iTunes Match library is empty. They also noted that iTunes Match is a cloud service to make content available across multiple devices and not intended as a back up for content.

Thank you XXXXX for understanding and your patience while we looked this over.
I'm not sure why you're upset. Apple is not responsible for your data. If you did in fact back up your computer, then your playlists are stored in an old library file (the file the tells iTunes what to look like, but does not contain any media).

If you're near an apple store, or chose to purchase apple care with your computer, you have access to step by step instructions on how to get those playlists back.

If you didn't have a back up of your data, that's on you. Stuff happens. On the bright side, you still have your music. If you expected anything more in response from apple, you had unrealistic expectations
bassfingers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:26 PM   #64
Yumbo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Where does one start?
In Facebook or iTunes?
Links?
Yumbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:05 PM   #65
guklein
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
How can I buy iTunes Gift Card on Facebook?
guklein is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:17 PM   #66
E.Lizardo
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck2875 View Post
I think you're missing his point.
Probably deliberately after the painfully weak attempt at cleverness with the original "Amazon"remark.
__________________
I'm sure you care what Apple gear I have about as much as I care about yours,so I won't bother putting it here.
E.Lizardo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:37 PM   #67
topmounter
macrumors 68000
 
topmounter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FEMA Region VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by writingdevil View Post
yeah, a measly 552 million daily
552M rubes
__________________
In33weTrust.com
topmounter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:39 PM   #68
moderngamenewb
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
[QUOTE=Small White Car;16366836]I think we're 5 years out from store clerks asking "Visa, Mastercard, or iTunes?"

You forgot Passbook in there (unless you mean for iTunes and Passbook to be two separate options
moderngamenewb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:15 PM   #69
damir00
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I can't even begin to express how much better my life is now that I can buy prepaid iTunes cards through Faceboook.

This truly was the missing piece...
damir00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:35 PM   #70
JAT
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mpls, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDav View Post
iTunes is a household name like "Jello". It would be insane to change a brand name that's known worldwide. What would you suggest? "iEverything"?
Well, iMedia seems obvious. But I agree that changing it would be difficult at this point.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
Do you remember "TV tuners"? haha
What do you mean "remember"? Like they've gone away? Most people have more of them than ever. 4 in one box, sometimes.
__________________
-- Spiky
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:38 PM   #71
macs4nw
macrumors 68020
 
macs4nw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On Safari…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
I think we're 5 years out from store clerks asking "Visa, Mastercard, or iTunes?" In all 3 cases you'll make the transaction using an app on your phone, but my point is that Apple will soon be seen equally as 'Device Maker,' 'Media Seller,' and 'Credit Card Company.'
Don't give them any ideas. Awesome computers might go totally to the 'back-burner'.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:17 PM   #72
macs4nw
macrumors 68020
 
macs4nw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On Safari…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDav View Post
iTunes is a household name like "Jello". It would be insane to change a brand name that's known worldwide. What would you suggest? "iEverything"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
A) I hope not
B) They need to change the name of iTunes. Long overdue, no? They sell books, movies, apps, etc. iTunes is limiting.
Agreed. But to what? I suspect they have been trying to come up with a satisfactory replacement, but haven't found one, yet. After all, they did change 'AirTunes' to 'Airplay'. The 'iStore' or 'iContent' come to mind, but I'm sure there'll be a hundred reasons why that wouldn't fit the bill.

Also, as MacDav above noted, 'iTunes' and 'the iTunes Store', are ubiquitous names, and changing them would be risky, at the very least.

Last edited by macs4nw; Nov 26, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:24 PM   #73
MacDav
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Amazon has never sold "amazonian" items. It started off selling books, no? Not remotely related. So there was never a connection. ETA In fact the logo implies that they sell everything from A to Z. An intentional graphic reference.

Target - never sold targets. Always sold lots of items.

iTunes - was branded because it sold music. It no longer sells just music.

Even Apple changed its name. Remember when it was called Apple Computers. Why did they change? Because the focus of the company wasn't only on Computers.

iTunes is no longer focused on just music.
How about...iTunes+...iMedia is inclusive, but doesn't have the "ring" that iTunes has. I think retaining iTunes and adding a plus sign would be a good compromise, but in the end is it really necessary to change the name? Seriously?
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:52 PM   #74
patent10021
macrumors 68000
 
patent10021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Japan
If it's possible to buy a Canadian iTunes gift card with my Japanese credit card like I can on Amazon Canada then this is useful.

But there still wouldn't be any reason for me to venture outside of Amazon. I wouldn't give FB a cent.
patent10021 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:12 AM   #75
Builddesign
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Apple and Facebook should not be in the same sentence.

Get out of my os too.
Builddesign is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Christmas gift help - any apps that YOU USE that let you earn UK iTunes gift cards? allyourbass iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Nov 28, 2012 10:18 AM
FREE $10 MLB gift cards on facebook!! CBillups1 Community Discussion 7 Aug 25, 2012 01:23 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC