Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IRL22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Hi
I know that the amazon video app for the ipad will not let you airplay to your tv. Can I airplay my macbook pro to the tv to watch instant video? If not, would jailbreaking apple tv allow me to watch amazon instant video? Thanks for the help.

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
If you have a Mac running Mountain Lion with AirPlay Mirroring support (only the most recent Macs support this feature), then you can mirror stream the video to your TV.

If your ATV is jailbreakable and you can install XBMC then you might be able to get this Amazon Prime Instant Watch plug-in to work:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=108124

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
If your Mac doesn't support AirPlay Mirroring (or if you don't want to install Mountain Lion for whatever reason) there is also AirParrot which is essentially the same but was made by a 3rd party.

I wasn't particularly impressed with AirParrot tbh. On my mid-2009 MBP I found AirParrot to be laggy and the audio/video didn't always sync right. Your results may be different though.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
If your Mac doesn't support AirPlay Mirroring (or if you don't want to install Mountain Lion for whatever reason) there is also AirParrot which is essentially the same but was made by a 3rd party.

I wasn't particularly impressed with AirParrot tbh. On my mid-2009 MBP I found AirParrot to be laggy and the audio/video didn't always sync right. Your results may be different though.
Just to be clear, AirParrot and AirPlay Mirroring are really different. AirPlay transcode to h.264 is accomplished through a special chip, while AirParrot is a software approach. The reason AirParrot, does not yield as good of results (most noticable with movies and gaming) is that it requires a huge amount of CPU to accomplish it's transcoding task. So much in fact, that if you have enough for it to transcode smoothly, you probably already have a new enough Mac to be able to AirPlay.

As always, mileage will vary, so it is a good idea to download the free trial and try it in your particular situation. And really challenge it with the hardest material you are interested in viewing. If it meets your needs...buy it.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
I use AirParrot on my 2009 MBP (17 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo). It can be somewhat laggy, but works well enough for my purposes.

I also have a jailbroken Apple TV 2, with XBMC and the Amazon Instant Video plugin working. I don't use it often (I prefer netflix, and only have Prime for the shipping benefits), but I have tested it on some episodes of Cheers. So I can confirm that is a viable option as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.